Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Santa Cruz , California
Send a message via AIM to rosewood Send a message via Skype™ to rosewood
Smile '77 Argosy. "Turn-Key" condition. Overpriced?

Hi everyone,

I'm selling a 26-ft 77 Argosy that's almost completely new inside : all new appliances, electricity, new air conditioner, very clean...New battery and inverter...I'm asking $11,500, but maybe that's too high? It's just so rare to find one that has so little work to do on it. There's really nothing left to do on it.

Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - 1977 26' Argosy with all NEW Appliances! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I need to sell it, but I don't want to be an idiot either.

Linda Rosewood
rosewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Linda,

I've looked at all your pictures, and the trailer looks really good, but to be honest, they always look really good in pictures. I would suggest you find someone knowledgeable locally to take a look at it, as condition is everything with the price of a used trailer, especially one that is thirty-two years old. Without looking at the trailer in person, I would say that your price is a little high for that old of an Argosy, but like I said, I would really need to see it in person, and that is just my opinion. Hope this is of some help.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Santa Cruz , California
It does help, Steve. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
My 2¢ worth...

The funny thing is that someone that is new to trailers (Airstreams in particular) would look at that and think that it's at least two times overpriced, simply because they have no idea what the value of work and money was to get the trailer to that point. Someone who IS experienced probably has already done that work and does not need another trailer, or will want to do the work themselves.

The other comment I would make is that it's unfortunate that you stopped before doing any updating of the look of the trailer. It still has all its '70s charm, and sadly, not everyone likes that look.

Recommend you re-take the photos, and get some help to have clear, well-focussed and well-lit shots taken, perhaps using better camera angles and more wide-angle lens shots. Even without doing ANYthing to the trailer, this will add enormous "sizzle".

Also, simplify the interior look as much as possible. For example, the flowery bedding is lovely, but it screams at the flowery wallcovering. Use white sheets. If you're really wanting to update the look a bit, a coat of pale beige paint on the wallcoverings would go a long way...

Two minor points; I would not shoot any photos in front of your lovely home, it makes you look too affluent. Also, without going into any details, say why you can't use it, in order to make your story believable. In other words, dropping a hint like "divorce", or "health reasons", gives a potential buyer something they can understand why you need to sell, instead of adding a bit of mystery by just saying "long story". The "mystery" is distracting.

Too bad you can't use it, it does look turnkey!

Good luck with your sale.

Aage

ps: fire all the cannons at once! Once you have new good photos, list it on ebaY, Craigslist, Kijiji, the supermarket wall, anywhere you can think of. In any ads you do, put as many photos as you can fit. Linking to another site if good, but MAKE THE LINK SHOUT to the reader.

People don't really read the text as much as look at the photos. Make the feature photo the best thing about your trailer (hopefully on the interior).
Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Maybe this will be of some interest to you although Canadian prices tend to be higher just because of less availability - I was just at an Ontario dealer and they had a 77 20' Argosy listed for $9,900 Canadian. They said they would guarantee the appliances worked but otherwise selling "as is", i.e. no statement on the frame, axles, electrical, plumbing, etc. I thought THAT was overpriced, knowing how much that stuff can cost.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Santa Cruz , California
Hey, this is all great advice too, Redstart and Aage. Thank you so much. I should also make some mention of the condition of the frame, axles, tires, etc. And retaking the photos--YES! I've already started on that.

As far as more photos, I tried to load more than one, but the upload failed. ...maybe if I add them one at a time.

Linda
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Linda,
I've been watching your Argosy on Craigslist for several weeks. I considered looking at your trailer as I live nearby. I decided there was too much drama in the ad. Sorry to be so blunt. Follow Aage's advice, lower the price to something more reasonable and maybe add something like, "great size for full timing". During the past 18 months I've had three different tenants move from one of my various rental units into, a camping trailer, a truck mounted camper and an AS. Seems the economy may have provided you with a better market than just a recreational market. Best wishes for a great sale!
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
more tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Hey, this is all great advice too, Redstart and Aage. Thank you so much.
You're welcome. I love marketing, in case you didn't notice.

Quote:
I should also make some mention of the condition of the frame, axles, tires, etc.

Make a bullet point list (to make it obvious and easy to read) of new items, like:
  • 2009 January new tires
  • 2008 December replaced all air in trailer
  • 2006 march new <brand name> axles
  • 2009 April new Dometic water heater (it's NOT a hot water heater is it? If it was hot, why heat it?)
  • August 2005 frame strengthened and brought up to "as new" standards
And so on, being careful to mention you have all the receipts for warranty purposes.

Quote:
And retaking the photos--YES! I've already started on that.
There you go, girl; this is KEY! Use a tripod, open all blinds and curtains and use natural light (turn off the flash!), and "stage" every shot. Remember simplicity, people don't want to see your "stuff", just the trailer.

Take hundreds, and crop the best ones to force the viewer to focus on what you want him to see. Take them again if you aren't happy. Take shots from up high (over your head) to make the space look as big as possible.

Quote:
As far as more photos, I tried to load more than one, but the upload failed. ...maybe if I add them one at a time.
My advice; don't learn how airforums wants you to use their space, use your own free space and put up b-i-g photos. Take an hour, and see how easy it is to use one of the free sites that will allow you to put only a link, but a link that plunks the photo right there. Like this:

When you use one of those sites (I like www.photobucket.com), you can put in as many photos as you like, and any size you want them to be. This works on ebaY, and forums like airforum.com and even Kijiji and Craigslist, and it's all free. You just need to take a bit of time and learn how it all works.

Oh, and Shiney Metal misinterpreted me: I never implied that you lower the price, merely that you had not built the value enough to justify it.

If you do decide to reduce the price, though, make a B-I-G Deal out of it: put a headline in large type across the top, like

NEW LOWER PRICE - MUST GO!

And have some fun doing it...
Old 07-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Selling Price

Linda> I new a new kid on the block. However I have been in retail for sometime now. All my Life.. Even though I have just now bought my first Airstream I can say this. Other RV's selling for your price range don't tell a story. Airstream is the top of the line no matter the age. You might however take the advice on the colors and flower look you have in the trailer. Maybe mix it up a little not so bright. Like one of the other replys try and get away for the 70's look. You have a nice trailer. Be proud of it. It looks great and it will sell. Don't sell by price alone... "And when selling, sell the story of your labor of love". I have always been told while I was in the Auto industry. There is a seat for eveyone. Someone will call this Airstream there place of adventure.....

REgards
Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Airdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello

Hello... Nice Argosy.. we sold our 75 26' Argosy in Feb 06 for 9500 US with a new paint job and awning and new Ac and all the flooring down, new drapes and upholstery and tires. It went to Baja California. Missed it the minute it left. Better pics , simplify and get rid of all knick knacks and clear pics.... Your price is not out of range in my opinion.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Los Angeles , California
We also have a 77 and it is great.
We have only replaced the refrigerator, water pump, waterheater, floor, wallpaper, upholstery, curtains and paint.
It tows great and seems quite tight.
As for the price....
We paid 1800 for ours and put in another give or take 6200 so we are there for about 8K but a lot of the work I did myself and how can one put a price on love?
handson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Aw, that is sweet! now i really want an argosy! i can't explain it... they're just so cute.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
77 Argosy. "Turn-Key" condition. Overpriced?

Greetings Linda!

Welcome to the Forums!

To increase your chances of obtaining something near your asking price, I might suggest the following:
  • Consider thoroughly washing the exterior and applying a fresh coat of wax before reshooting your exterior photos. A buyer not familiar with RVs and particularly Argosys, might interpret the black streaking seen on your streetside photos as a finish problem.
  • Consider sanding and applying a fresh coat of paint to the front endcap. Your photo shows what appears to be significant chipping going down to the primer. While this is normal maintenance to someone familiar with Argosys, a newbie buyer might interpret this a sign that the entire coach needs a new paint job.
  • While less significant than the front endcap, repairing the visible dent in the rear endcap or taking a photo that doesn't feature it as prominently would be beneficial. A fresh coat of paint here would also be beneficial but isn't as critical as the front endcap (IMHO).
  • Consider replacing the rubrail and beltline molding inserts (or avoid featuring them in a closeup). Someone familiar with Argosy will almost immediately focus on the paint that is where the Orange inserts should be located. Airstream has recently started offering the correct Orange inserts available through a dealer or service center's parts department.
  • A fresh coat of orange paint in the Argosy emblem would be helpful, particularly if it is to be a feature in your photos.
  • Consider a fresh coat of paint on the rear bumper as well as the hitch "A-Frame" and LP tanks.
  • Mention the permanently mounted stabilizer jacks in your coach's description -- these were a somewhat expensive option on Argosy coaches and would be a great savings to a new owner.
  • You may also want to consider replacing the retractable entry step -- a prospective buyer is certain to figure the cost of making this replacement into his or her offer.
I do believe that your coach appears to be above average, but the items that I have mentioned are things that could be done to increase your chances of being able to sell at an above average price.

Good luck with your sale!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Santa Cruz , California
Wow, you folks are so great, and so generous with your advice. Kevin, Hanson, Marvin and Annie, Airdaddy--you exemplars of what community can be! I'll let you know how it goes. Linda
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Charlottetown , PEI
Hi
Nice trailer. I am sure you will get a pair price.
The only thing that scared my were the references to the NEVER USED appliances. My friend inherited a trailer from her parents who used it once, then put it into their barn for years. Some of the appliances still had the plastic. They sat too long and had to be replaced. Are they brand new?

This isn't about your ad, but just a cool thing I found out while talking to an appliance repair instructor who was very familiar with the Dometic fridges in these units .
Besides keeping your trailer level, she said it was a good idea to make sure your fridge gets a good shake at least once a year, it helps with the chemicals inside. I thought that was cool, because I would think the opposite.
I guess anyone living in Atlantic Canada won't have to try to find bumpy roads. My fridge must be like new too, in that case, it gets shaken just getting towed down our driveway.

Good luck with the sale.
silverbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks everyone for your advice. We sold it, but were only able to get $6500 for it. We really took a bath, but the buyer is happy and will give it a good home. People just don't have the money around here--perhaps I could have taken better photos, as everyone suggested, but even when people looked at it, they thought they could do better for less.

thank you,everyone. What a great group you are.

Linda Rosewood
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your advice. We sold it, but were only able to get $6500 for it. We really took a bath, but the buyer is happy and will give it a good home. People just don't have the money around here--perhaps I could have taken better photos, as everyone suggested, but even when people looked at it, they thought they could do better for less.

thank you,everyone. What a great group you are.

Linda Rosewood
WOW! If it was all you said, someone got a steal!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
argosy, excellent, turn-key