Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
74' 25ft Tradewinds value?

I'm new to the forum and I'm searching for an airstream for my family of six. I've found a 74' 25ft tradewinds that has been gutted and is ready for a new interior. In the present state I'm told the floor is in good shape with no rot and structure is good. It has brand new new axles, brakes, wheels, and rubber. There is no interior at all. Attached photos show the state. Seller is asking $4500. Is this Decent value? Airstreams are frankly hard to find in central / western Canada. I'd be looking at 14 hours round trip to pick it up.

Do any of you happen to know what the weight of a trailer and tongue like this in the current state would be? From what I've found on the forum it was about 4000lb dry from factory but right now it is just a shell, frame etc.

This would be my first renovation of a vintage trailer... I'm most worried about getting a solid shell and frame and good running gear. I won't be restoring the interior but rather building it out with my family's specific basic needs in mind.
Attached Images

inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
Additional photo...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
One more photo.... Sorry was having trouble uploading multiple photos to same post..
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Hard to assign a value without seeing it in person, but 4500 is high IMO for a shell.

The body looks to be in relatively good shape from the angles pictured. The banana wraps appear to have been replaced with the black plastic ones. New axles are probably of some value if they're indeed new and correct replacements. Tires are a controversial subject but there's a reasonable chance you're going to want to replace them even if they are new. Good floor and structure is of some value if that is the case, though you will want to verify that as well. Is the belly pan intact? If so, it's going to be hard to determine the condition of the frame.

Propane tanks are not pictured and may be missing. Electrical is missing entirely. It looks like even the running lights and turn signal wiring is gone. Are all the interior parts gone? Even if you're going to rebuild from scratch, the original parts are often useful and are of some value.

I would hesitate to buy this for your first rebuild. While it sounds nice to be able to skip the demo step, you're at a huge disadvantage for not seeing how everything goes together. Not having the experience of taking the coach apart will make it far more difficult to successfully rebuild it.

There are also lots of folks who would tell you it's a bad idea to move an Airstream without the interior skins installed, especially the endcaps. Apparently the interior skin adds rigidity to the structure, so you could potentially damage it if you move it.

If you still want it, try to pay significantly under the asking price.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the advice. Wow sounds like some really good points to consider. I can completely understand what you mean about being at a disadvantage of having not seen how the coach was built and taken apart. My wife and I have been discussing and in the end we took a pass on it and will continue to research and plan while we watch for a good trailer. We would have liked some of the original parts like the interior skins. I was also worried about not having seen the frame based on what I've been reading in the forum about these old coaches.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
With all that is missing I would figure 6k to finish it.. And that's a low ball figure with nothing for labor..
Using this number you find yourself over 10k and about the value of a trailer ready to go with tanks and everything working..
Sodbust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
that kind of money should buy you a good shape one complete with all working amenities
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Just to weigh in a little...I'm from Western Alberta, and last summer I purchasd a 1978 31' Sovereign. It was in OK shape but needs a lot of work. Heads up... NOTHING is easy to find out here and shipping for stuff from the US almost requires taking out a new mortgage. Vintage Trailer Supplies and Inland RV are awesome suppliers, but getting things here sucks. Specifically, the furnace that cost me $700 USD and $175 USD in shipping... Plus customs/brokerage fees.I'm not saying don't do it, but understand that supplies are limited out in our neck of the woods and shipping costs combined with the low CAN$ is making some of the repairs I've had to do hard to swallow. Can't imagine starting from a shell if you want to find matching parts!
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I think, if the description is correct, that's not a bad price...
I'm wondering how comfortable it will be for 6 folks, though...
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust1 View Post
I would figure 6k to finish it
I want to live in that world.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Good call to pass. Not having the interior skins would be a real PITA to replicate. You would need to run ALL the wiring without the benefit of Airstream's experience in how to lay it out. Having myself gone so far as a whole new frame on my 76, that trailer at least had the wiring and interior skins to provide guidance.

And anything gutted I would estimate more like 10-12K to get one complete, and that is if you do the labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind