Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
'73 Safari value

Hi all,
I've got a lead on a 73 Safari.
I need to get a handle on it's value. NADA doesn't go back that far.
I'm still in the process of assessing the scope of a recent overhaul but so far I believe it's in pretty decent condition.
Assuming a condition, 1. Heating and Air is original but works. 2. Clock and 8 track do not. 3. I belive the pluming is original. 4. I beleive the flooring is new and responce from the current owner says no obervable flooring issues. 5. I beleive the Axels are original. 6. Recent new electric brakes.

I do not know about leaks. I've asked and i believe that the responce will be no obervable leaks. From the pics the shell looks in great conditions as do the pics from the interior.

If what I've written above bears out to be true could you all take a stab at a fair offer?

thanks

Dave

Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
My insurance agent wanted some proof of value. I went to www.vintageairstream.com for a chart. As well as vintage - airstream dot com for what similar units sold for. Printed it all out and he put it in my file. I also kept a file for myself.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I have a '77 Safari, The Safari is on of the most valuable and desirable trailers because of the length and weight.

There can be a very wide range of values on trailers based on condition.
A fully restored, polished trailer with new appliances and axels could be as much as $20,000.

A trailer that need a restoration could be as little as $2000 depending on the extent of work required.

When I bought my Safari I had a budget of $10,000. There was nothing obviously wrong with the trailer so I subtracted from my budget 50% of the total of all of the items the trailer may need that I couldn't verify worked or would be reliable long term, I assumed that at least 1/2 my identified potential repairs were either not needed or not needed right away. I made an offer based on that figure.

On a trailer of that age I would have the following concerns:
-Floors/Frame
-Axels
-Appliances - Fridge, Stove, Water Heater, Converter, A/C, Water Pump, Furnace
-Waste Plumbing - a 73 won't have a grey tank
-Fresh water Plumbing - I replaced my plumbing with PEX

A lot will depend on how you plan to use the trailer and how much work you are willing or capable of doing yourself.

If you camp mostly in Parks with full hookups in the northern states, the lack of grey water tank, or functioning AC probably won't be a problem. If you plan to Boondock in the southern states these will be a priority.

Get a flash light and check the floor in the following places:
1) stick you head inside the under-sink cabinet in the bathroom and look for soft floor or holes behind the shower and under the bathroom counter.

2) Under the bed(s) in the bedroom and behind the couch at the front - look by the wall for signs of water leakage and check with a screwdriver for soft floor.

3) stand on the rear bumper and bounce up and down, the aluminum shell should move with the frame/bumper, if there the frame/bumper move independent of the shell you have a problem.

4) try to see everything operate that you can, furnace, AC, water heater, water pump, converter, open the awning, flush the toilet, open the awning, inspect the tires for age/wear, inspect propane hoses for cracks and tanks for dates.

Good luck - the Safari is a great trailer!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks Aldean Fan.
Question, ... I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a grey water tank. So, say it doesn't. ... I'm a newby so pardon my ignorant bliss but the only impact that i can figure is that, 1. the black water tank is used for both bathroom waste and shower and sink waste so it fill's much faster. 2. you don't have the use of the grey water to run through your flush hose when empying. Have I missed another negative? Also, if the trailer wasn't ever designed for a grey water tank, (which i'm to understand none prior to 74 did), don't those who own those trailers have to endure it without or can you have somone retrofit a gray tank into the camper?
Very curious.
thanks Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Shower and sinks are not connected to the black tank. Most just use a "Blue Boy" portable grey water tank which connects to the grey water collector with a short piece of hose.

Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tank 12 Gallon - No Hose

My 12 Gallon tank is good for 2-3 days of carefull use.
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks Tom, so that is and has always been how folks who have pre 74 deal with grey water?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Thanks Tom, so that is and has always been how folks who have pre 74 deal with grey water?
Some people add a grey tank, not too difficult if you are handy and can do basic plumbing.

AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote