Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink '67 Ambassador...Is this the one??

Hi!
So...the search continues for our FIRST AS! We have been so excited, frustrated, and taunted by large shiny things! Ha. We just found a 67 Ambassador and it's actually less than 5 miles away from home...Could this be the one??

So, I am asking for any advice on this model. I now feel like I have a good running checklist of things to look for like axle sag, bathroom leaks, window leaks, plumbing issues, tires..those seems like the big ones that stick out in my mind. This one is not original and has had the flooring redone as well as the whole inside has been painted, it has a Large refrigerator.

Within the last four years the following have supposedly been replaced:

Tires, awning (fire red), toilet, supply plumbing (PEX), flooring (green polyester swirl), Propane tanks, some windows, Aluminum front and rear window covers (custom), water heater, catalytic heater.

Any advice it GREATLY appreciated. I HOPE this is the one!!

Love Lucy
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Lucy - I'm hoping this one is all you've been searching for. But don't let yourself get too excited. Who am I to say such a thing? Don't ask, but it did cost me over $6,000 unplanned dollars. Get the trailer plugged in & test EVERYTHING!! I'd say it would be better to be somewhat "critical" rather than overjoyed, which is easy to do. Is there an RV store in your area, where maybe you could strike a deal with one of their service techs to pay him to go take a look with you? Just a thougth. Keep us posted, with pictures please!!
Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Jim,
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I have actually made it through the giddy period. I have only been looking for 3 months, but in that time have filled my head with lots of wisdom from the forums. Even paid a fellow ASer to look at one for us in Portland, but it was not the one. Been skimming craigslist for days on end and made LOTS of phone calls, so I am trying to curb my excitement that one could possibly be so near and may actually meet our criteria. My main question is: $6000 to much to pay for a 1967 Ambassador that has been modified but have alot of things replaced : Tires, awning (fire red), toilet, supply plumbing (PEX), flooring (green polyester swirl), Propane tanks, some windows, Aluminum front and rear window covers (custom), water heater, catalytic heater.

What do you think??
Lucy
Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper
My main question is: $6000 to much to pay for a 1967 Ambassador that has been modified but have a lot of things replaced
As Jim said, look at it with a critical eye...then calculate what still needs to be done and figure out the "real" cost.

If the modifications that have been done are correctly done... and the decor is to your liking... and the list of things yet to be done is not too long, then $6000 is a realistic price to pay.

Also keep in mind, with the price of gas these days... a purchase made near to home is a big savings compared to finding a trailer on the opposite side of the country.

Good luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Look at it a different way

Ask yourself, "Is $6000 too much to pay for a camper that still needs [fill-in-the-blank]?"

The axles are one thing. Another high-dollar item is the refrigerator.

Right now, is the Ambassador campground-worthy? Does it need anything else before you start creating fond memories?

I will bet the seller can get his asking price from someone. Will it be you?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hope this IS the one...however, keep your eyes open and your emotions in check. Good advice from other posters...a critical eye is key along with knowing what to expect once you get it home. No surprises!

This Price vs Condition information may help you arrive at the "real cost" opposed to the "purchase price" which is often just the cost of entry. Check especailly for floor rot and frame issues those are non-negotitable and usually indidcate a lot of other hidden issues - and can be very involved & costly to repair.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do (or take on!) post pictures if you get a chance, we may see some things that should be checked out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Was it the one?

Just wondering if you bought the trailer....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
Just wondering if you bought the trailer....pj
The eBay listing ended without a bid... so unless Lucy made a deal outside of eBay, I would guess it's not "the one"

Now would be the time to work a hard bargain.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hi Everyone,
That was NOT the one. Continuing the search. Are currently looking at a 1975 Overlander and a 1972 Overlander currently. Keep you posted.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper
Hi Everyone,
That was NOT the one. Continuing the search. Are currently looking at a 1975 Overlander and a 1972 Overlander currently. Keep you posted.
I think that the 72 won't have a gray water tank unless PO added.....others know for sure but the 75 may have the gray water tank.......good luck in your search....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote