Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
'64 Sovereign

I was just offered a 64 sovereign (cheap)with a bad rear top dent and quite extensive water damage in the interior. All the cabinets show delamination and the ceiling around the AC shows only the quilting so I guess that the ceiling fell off? There is water staining everywhere and the seller doesn't know if any of the systems work. The floor is soft near the door and I suspect many other places too. I can post some pix or forward the ones sent to me. Just wondering if this is just not worth trying to restore as I can see big dollar signs to bring it back. Could someone advise me on this?
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Not worth a thing. There is to much involved and to many others around and available where you would be way money/time ahead.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'64 Sovereign

Greetings Haoleman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
I was just offered a 64 sovereign (cheap)with a bad rear top dent and quite extensive water damage in the interior. All the cabinets show delamination and the ceiling around the AC shows only the quilting so I guess that the ceiling fell off?
It sounds as if the coach needs a total gut and probable shell-off restoration. What you are seeing on the ceiling likely isn't insulation. International models came equipped with a quilted vinyl ceiling panel that was a comparatively dark brown (also available as an option on Land Yachts). The panel repair/replacement is very expensive and if the rear dome is involved, there may also be ribs that need replacement. While not necessarily a stop sign, it is a very high caution as the frame may have been damaged by water infliltration adding another layer of significant cost. An example of the International Ceiling pad can be seen in the photo below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
There is water staining everywhere and the seller doesn't know if any of the systems work. The floor is soft near the door and I suspect many other places too. Just wondering if this is just not worth trying to restore as I can see big dollar signs to bring it back. Could someone advise me on this?
With prevalent water staining, the moisture damage is likely severe traversing multiple areas including between the wall cavities where the insulation may be saturated, the visible floor and cabinet wood rot, below floor insulation saturated and potential damage to the frame.

I agree with you . . . the dollar signs are large. As much as I hate to see a vintage coach dismantled, this may be a case where the coach might provide life to many others through its disassembly and parting out. There are a number of parts that may be of value including the entrance door (1964 was the last year for the door-within-a-door), vintage window frames and operators are also generally in demand as well as the exterior compartment doors. The 1964 coaches also had imported cabinet hardware that is impossible to find outside of salvaged coaches. Undamaged original skin panels can also have value beyond their scrap value to a restorer . . . particularly undamged dome panels.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Thanks for all the advice and info. You confirmed my suspicions. I don't mind some cabinet work but this trailer is really bad. I have posted on CL a 1948 International Harvester refrigerator that I have restored and painted bright red that I offered to trade for a small trailer like an old Shasta Airflyte or small Airstream, Argosy or whatever to restore but only want a small one and not a frame up job as I don't have the time or space for that large a project. I'm going to refer the seller to this site and maybe someone would be able to part it out. I'd love to have one but I don't need a Golden Gate Bridge either
Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign