Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Golden Valley , Minnesota
'63 26 FT Overlander - value?

I have located an apparently very clean 63 Overlander and looking for an impression on the asking price.

I have spoken at length with the owner, inspected the exterior, peered throught the windows, opened exterior hatches, looked at the belly skin and the trailer is in ready to use condition.

We have not been inside.

Much of the interior was restored/replaced in 1995 by a previous owner - new appliances, drapery, upholstery, carpet, Zip Dee awning, and others. I believe this work was done by Airstream or an Airstream dealer.

The water sysytem has been replaced with a pump.

Tires are in great shape.

One small dent in skin.

The current owner had it checked for mechanical issues before taking it on a 2500 mile road trip last summer with his family of 4.

It is being sold to upsize as they now have a family of 5.

The only thing that the current owner would replace if they were to keep the trailer long-term is to upgrade the black water drain system.

Asking price was set at $8900 in May, dropped to $8300 in July.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
flombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Check the price vs. condition page on www.vintageairstream.com. Here is the link to that page. http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

A major cost that you need to consider are new axles. Did the PO also replace those?
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'63 26 FT Overlander - value?

Greetings flombe!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flombe
I have located an apparently very clean 63 Overlander and looking for an impression on the asking price.

I have spoken at length with the owner, inspected the exterior, peered throught the windows, opened exterior hatches, looked at the belly skin and the trailer is in ready to use condition.

We have not been inside.

Much of the interior was restored/replaced in 1995 by a previous owner - new appliances, drapery, upholstery, carpet, Zip Dee awning, and others. I believe this work was done by Airstream or an Airstream dealer.

The water sysytem has been replaced with a pump.

Tires are in great shape.

One small dent in skin.

The current owner had it checked for mechanical issues before taking it on a 2500 mile road trip last summer with his family of 4.

It is being sold to upsize as they now have a family of 5.

The only thing that the current owner would replace if they were to keep the trailer long-term is to upgrade the black water drain system.

Asking price was set at $8900 in May, dropped to $8300 in July.
The early 1960s Overlanders are indeed attractive and practical trailers. For the price indicated, you should expect the coach to be fully function with limited upgrades/improvements needed for travel. When you inspect the coach more thoroughly, I would suggest considering the following:

Ask the owner to demonstrate the operation of the following systems:

Refrigerator -- cools refrigerator compartments & makes ice.
Water Heater -- produces hot water from each hot water faucet.**
Water Pump -- produces water from each water faucet.**
Air Conditioner -- cools interior to your satisfaction.
Rangetop -- all burners light and work to your satisfaction.
Oven -- pilot lights and main burner functions.
Furnace -- pilot lights as does main burner.
**These two test should also uncover any evidence of incomplete winterization.

The above are among the expensive systems to repair/replace and should be functional in a coach of the price range indicated.

I would also expect that the coach would be free of frame sag or rear end separation. While frame sag is very uncommon in coaches prior to the 1970s, it can still happen and is indicated by bulges or ripples in the coach's skin near the wheelwell openings (sometimes cracks are visible on the frame between the axle mounting points). A more common malady is rear end separation that can be aggravated by rear mounted spare tires if the coach ever had one -- in this malady, the floor/body become separated from the frame rails at the rear -- it can be identified by placing firm downward pressure on the rear bumper while the junction between the body and bumper is observed -- if this junction increases in size when someone stands or sits on the bumper there is concern for possible rear end separation issues as well as floor rot in the rearmost section of the coach.

The LP regulator and tanks should be up to current standards as well. The tanks should have recent/current certification as well as OPD valves.

Another issue needing inspection would be the floor. You will want to look for obvious soft spots near the door as well as windows and other openings in the skin. A small awl or ice pick can be helpful in probing hidden areas looking for evidence of rot. Integrity of the floor is a very important factor in maintaining the structural integrity of the coach. Some water staining can almost be expected, but there should be very minimal and preferrably not rot in a coach in this price range.

As Uberlanders post indicates, the axles should also be in good condition at the price indicated. Having a dealer install new axles on the coach could easily exceed $2,000. There is a good explanation of how to inspect the Henschen axles on the Inland RV website.

Based on some of the other units that I have seen offered in the upper Midwest, this coach is priced in the range of those in very good to excellent condition needing virtually nothing to be usable -- the dent, if it is of concern to you, could be a negotiating item as proper repairs often require panel replacement that can be very expensive depending upon the panel involved. If your inspection reveals that this coach is indeed in very good to excellent condition, then the price would be within reason. (IMHO)

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #4

Golden Valley , Minnesota
Thanks for the info and links!

After reading the Vintage Airstream guide, my gut tells me the price is a bit high for this model in this condition and a tour and demonstration of the mechanical systems may sway me one way or the other.

At any rate, we hope to be Airstreamin' soon!
flombe is offline   Reply With Quote