Old 04-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
2014 Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk

So I think I've settled on financing a newer RV instead of renovating an older one. We went and looked at new units, and the sales person mentioned a 2014 30' FB from Canada that they don't have the title for yet so it's not advertised.

It's a Flying Cloud 30FB with the bunk and all available options (ultraleather, window awnings, solar/inverter, convection oven), she says the new price with options would have been about 101k, they're selling it for $62k. From what I can tell, 62k seems surprisingly low... what do you guys think?

Walking through it, I would have thought it was new. There were a few missing rivets that caught my attention, but from what I understand this is expected even on new units leaving the lot for the first time, although it could be a sign of vibration issues. Should I try to arrange a test tow before signing? Would that even tell me anything if I have no experience towing anything?

It's a 2014, so I don't expect any structural issues, but I plan to look over it in detail before moving forward... I would expect the dealer to give me a demo of all onboard systems as well. What other problems could there possibly be with a year old trailer? The seemingly low price just has me a bit concerned.

It is a reputable dealer and they included their inspection checklist, for what that's worth considering they're trying to sell it.

Because it's not advertised yet, and seems like a great price on a floorplan that works for us, I'm tempted to make a deposit. But they want $1k non-refundable deposit, so that seems sketchy... I definitely want to do a detailed inspection for issues before I commit.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That sounds like a really good deal to me. If that is the floor plan that you want, you should probably proceed.

I would ask why it was traded or sold. It is possible that the original owner wanted the new ducted air conditioning.

Even though Aistreams are warranted for two years, you need to find out when the two years expires.

Also be aware that the two year manufacturer's warranty on the refrigerator and air conditioner only applies to the original owner. I would ask the dealer to warrant these for the remainder of the two years.

I bought a slightly used 2012 23FB in 2013. About a week after I got it, the air conditioner compressor went out and I had to eat the $1,600 to replace it.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I just bought a used 2014 30' bunk. That is a good price as you know.

That said, the non-refundable deposit seems a bit odd. Were you asking them to hold it for a long time?
Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
That said, the non-refundable deposit seems a bit odd. Were you asking them to hold it for a long time?
Nope, the only complication that I forgot to mention is that it's a Canadian titled trailer, and they're waiting on the broker to get the US title issued, the broker has up to four weeks to provide the title, and then they can complete the sale. She did say that we could cancel the deposit anytime before the title was provided, but that was unique to this trailer and if we were buying the new one that we also looked at, the deposit would be non-refundable.

I just emailed her for clarification, because it seemed like she was avoiding answering the question with vague responses like "let's just make sure that you really want it before we do anything." Maybe it's just a tactic, it just came off awkward and sketchy. We'll see...
Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Quote:
I know you probably already told me this, but what was the reason the previous owner was trading it in?
They bought a motor home.
Can you tell me when the manufacturer warranty expires, or is there any problem with it transferring since it was a Canadian trailer? Any other complications related to this?
Warranty only applies to first purchaser.
I've been advised that the appliance (fridge, a/c, etc) warranty only applies to the original owner, can you confirm/deny that, do you offer any kind of independent warranty on these items?
Warranty applies to original owner, you are correct. We offer a 4 year extended warranty,
it costs $2295.00
I think I'm planning to skip the Husky/Equalizer hitch and spend the additional money on a higher end unit like a Hensley or ProPride, do you guys offer anything like that, or would your service dept be willing to install a hitch that I provide (new in box)?
Yes, we can install any hitch you want. Shop rates are $120.00 per hour. The Hensley
takes 3 hours. The Hensley hitch is massive overkill for an Airstream in our opinion,
and it is tricky, if you drop your unit off somewhere for service or otherwise, it is hard to
move the unit. But you need to purchase what you feel most comfortable with.
Lastly, I feel like you weren't real clear (or maybe you were) about the deposit, so I'd like to clarify. If we move forward on this trailer, I would like to perform an inspection and demo the onboard systems before committing financially. I am willing to make a deposit to hold it, as long as that money is refundable if something doesn't work out because of inspection or finance.
Yes you can come and inspect it any time you like. Our technicians have already certified
everything is in working condition, so we are all good there. I think we discussed that with
your credit and the terms the finance mgr. provided, you were in the payment range you desired.
If for some reason your credit score is much lower than you said, and the rate was not acceptable
we would refund your deposit. We would never make someone buy something at an outrageous
interest rate if they did not want it.
What do you guys think on the warranty? Any concerns come to mind with this being a Canadian transfer?

Also, would you agree with her opinion on a high end hitch for an Airstream? Seems like overkill can't hurt... or can it?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
For that price, I would skip the warranty. Chances are that you wouldn't make up that money in repairs.

If a Hensley or ProPride is is too much for a 30 foot Airstream, what is it for? A 30 foot Airstream is one of the largest and heaviest travel trailers out there. This statement makes me concerned about this dealer's technical competence.

Both Hensley and Propride are located in Michigan. Give them a call and see what they recommend about installation. You may be able to take your Airstream to Hensley or ProPride and have them install it. I have installed my Hensley on three different Airstreams myself, including reinstalling it on my 2005 Safari after the dealer botched the installation that he charged me $200 for. It's not hard to do, and you will do it right.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Does it have 50amp service with 2 ACs?

Kelvin
Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
It costs $250 to transfer an Airstream warrantee on a US trailer. Not sure about Canadian to US. Depending on how close you are to the 2 year date (from original sale), it could be well worth the piece of mind.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Thanks for all your help Brian, I really appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Does it have 50amp service with 2 ACs?

Kelvin
I do not know, it does have two A/C units, I just assumed that the electrical system would be sized appropriately. The spec sheet doesn't specify, I'll have to do a little math and check when I go back to look at it.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
It costs $250 to transfer an Airstream warrantee on a US trailer. Not sure about Canadian to US. Depending on how close you are to the 2 year date (from original sale), it could be well worth the piece of mind.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into this.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
If it has 2 A/C's from the factory it should be 50 amp.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
This sounds like a good price and was quite similar to one I found in Ontario that only has one AC unit. Unfortunately, that particular unit won't be available until August. If you decide not to pursue this one, please PM me. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Thanks for the feedback guys! I made a deposit on the trailer today. They came down to $61k and agreed to include the WDH setup.

RivetingTrvl, if something doesn't work out for whatever reason, I will certainly let you know, and why.

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

aearles , Michigan
Oh, and pictures for those interested.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11450...ISL06SysdilrwE