Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
2005 Classic 25' Value?

My wife and I just "took inventory" at the RV park nearby...and met a couple with a 2005 25' Classic (purchased 2006 Mpls dealer) that they are trying to sell. It is the crosswise queen with couch at other end. Quite clean...main use was a 3-4000 mile trip when new. Stored outside.

Also, they got a "deal" when purchased new from the local AS dealer as it has significant hail damage mostly on read endcap. Not structural damage (I don't think?) just cosmetic and appeared to be isolated to endcap. Otherwise quite a bit of Filoform(?) corrosion on trim pieces...maybe a bit on front where rocks have made small nicks.

Question...

1) Do many just leave hail damage? What would endcap panel(s) replacement cost...very ballpark.

2) What would you guess "as is" condition...interior would likely clean up like new...no pets no smoke...little use. Exterior has hail damage and moderate Filoform corrosion.

3) Opinion on this floorplan?

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
1) Do many just leave hail damage? What would endcap panel(s) replacement cost...very ballpark.
I can only comment on this question and only that I have been told that every panel that is replaced is about $1000.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I can only comment on this question and only that I have been told that every panel that is replaced is about $1000.
Ouch That would be expensive...Thanks Steve
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I would quickly learn to not look at the end cap. It's in the back up high, so try to ignore it.

Nicks on the rock guards are normal. They are stainless steel and I haven't heard of filiform on them.

Trim pieces—which ones? If it's the strip in the center of the extrusions at the base of the aluminum panels and around the beltline, it is delamination, not filiform. The strip is silver color on many newer trailers, comes in rolls, has a glue backing and is relatively cheap. Depending on what other "trim pieces" have filiform, you can call the Airstream dealer near Minneapolis and get prices to replace them (and ask about the end cap). I called them once to get information and they were very helpful. If that's all that's wrong with it, it seems pretty minor (except for the hail).

I don't know what the floorplan looks like. If it's like the FB's, that's what we have and we like it. But our "sofa" is just a bench and is on the side, so it may be different. Where's the dinette?

You didn't say what they were asking. You can use the hail damage to work the price down. Hail damaged vehicles can be hard to sell. I wonder why they didn't get it fixed with insurance money? Ask them—if they pocketed the money, they've already discounted the trailer in their minds.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi Gene...the trailer was purchased new from the dealer WITH the hail damage..."as is" I assume they got a good initial price. It has the crosswise queen in the back of the trailer with a full couch across the front...no dinette...kind of a small credenza and tables that pull out/extend from each side.

The damage on the rear is quite extensive and primarily below the rear window on the main part of the back of the trailer. Damage appears cosmetic rather than structural or functional. I probably misused the term endcap. The owner said the roof did not get damaged...just the rear panels.

The filoform is not on the belting...but on items such as a circular trim around a small light on the pass side. Rock scratches are above the rock guard.

The owner is down sizing due to health issues and is asking $26,500. Not quite sure how to evaluate. They have been trying to sell for quite awhile and just lowered the rpice form $29,000 to $26,500.

Your thoughts?? Would probably want to repair the rear after assessing how we respond to RV lifestyle...or trade for a floorplan/length after "learning" what we do not know today

Thanks...Tom R
Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, TomR. Offer them $22,000.00 or $23,000.00 [if you like the trailer] since it will be hard for them to sell like this [hail damage] and more than likely will have a Salvage title. Also plan to use it like it is because of the cost to repair it properly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
As a 25' Classic owner my advise would be to hold out for a unit in better condition. Looking at those dents ,structural or not would always bother me and having them fixed is not just the cost of the panels but the trip to a dealer or the factory competent enough to do the work. Sometimes a good deal is not necessarly a good deal. 3 to 5 thousand in panel replacement and you could have bought a unit in excellent condition.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
As a 25' Classic owner my advise would be to hold out for a unit in better condition. Looking at those dents ,structural or not would always bother me and having them fixed is not just the cost of the panels but the trip to a dealer or the factory competent enough to do the work. Sometimes a good deal is not necessarly a good deal. 3 to 5 thousand in panel replacement and you could have bought a unit in excellent condition.
Thanks Craftsman...do you have this floorplan? ie; crosswise queen in back and full couch in front with no dinette? If so how do you like it?

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors
Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, TomR. Offer them $22,000.00 or $23,000.00 [if you like the trailer] since it will be hard for them to sell like this [hail damage] and more than likely will have a Salvage title. Also plan to use it like it is because of the cost to repair it properly.
Hi Bob...I had not thought of any title issues?

Might the dealer have issued a salvage title? Not familiar with a salvage title and always assumed they would only be used for a major, near totalled damage situation.

I guess I did wonder how an insurance company would prevent someone from claiming hail damage after new insurance had been in place for awhile?

Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tom,

Now that you describe it in more detail, I tend to agree with craftsman. I don't know what the market value is and that's the question you asked. $26,500 sounds like a pretty big discount for a 4 year old trailer if otherwise in great shape, but I don't know what comparable models are selling for.

I don't care for that floorplan, but some do, some don't. I like the biggest table I can get for all the stuff we have.

I don't think the damage was enough to total it and thus there would be no salvage title. Just my guess.

I think making a claim again on damage would be found out by the new owner's insurance company. Insurance companies share data on claims.

I don't know how long you've been looking and if it's a long time, the pressure builds up to just get something and be done with searching. But if you don't like it, you might not like it next year either.

Gene
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Tom, I have the twins in the rear and the reason I went with the twins is because you have both interior AND exterior storage under the beds, a large rear storage area opening to the outside. I like the center isle between the beds, the large night stand between the beds with drawer and the beds are longer with a hanging closet at the foot of each bed. I wouldn't consider a Queen in anything smaller than a 30'. A dinette would have been nice but the large fold out table works just fine. The side Queen in a 25 just leaves no real room to move around it and it's a real compromise as far as storage. I came real close to ordering a 34 footer and now I'm glad that I didn't. The 25 is a perfect size, not to small that it feels cramped and not so large that you have trouble maneuvering it.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tom, what works for one doesn't for another. We find the storage in the FB queen fine plus there's space in the truck for overflow. My wife sleeps on the inside (my back makes it hard for me to crawl out of that side) and doesn't complain about the space at the foot of the bed and we manage to change clothes without a problem. The dinette leaves space for a laptop, assorted stuff that seems to be needed on the table, and a place to watch TV, read, etc. A real sofa would be nice, but the table is not negotiable for us.

Craftsman's right for him; we're right for us. It all depends how you travel and what's important to you.

Gene
Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
I have used the dealer in Minneapolis for repairs, and do not recommend them. The repairs took far longer than they were supposed to, the work was sloppy and incomplete, and they left a mess inside the trailer! From now on I'll only use Hart Trailer Sales in Long Prairie, MN. They used to be an Airstream dealer and were Airstream-certified mechanics but have since let that go as they just didn't sell enough of them in a small, remote location. The mechanics are the same ones who used to be certified by Airstream and seem to know Airstream products very well. I had them re-do much of the work done by the Minneapolis dealership to finally get it done right. Regarding the cost of fixing the panels, from what I know $1000 is low, and $1200 to $1300 is closer to the mark depending on the panel. I know someone who's 2007 Safari Special Edition was dented in the rear while in storage...the estimate on fixing it was almost $2000 because it is the panel with a window and as such has even more rivets.
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Tom, we have a 2005 Classic with the couch in front and twin beds in back. We like this arrangement real well since the couch is real comfortable and works good for watching TV or a movie or just relaxing. We have a flat panel TV with DVD built in that we place on the credenza. The couch also folds out to be a comfortable bed for one person and not bad for two. We were not sure about the pop up table when we bought it, but think this is a very workable arrangement. Sometimes my wife and I both sit on the couch to eat or otherwise pull out one of the Zip Dee chairs. We use the small pop up table next to the door with a laptop or use the bigger table without folding it out at other times.

With the damage on the unit you are looking at, I would offer $20,000 for it if you really like it. The advantage of the Classic is that it has a 54 gal fresh water tank, 39 gal gray water tank and 30 gal black water tank. We have used ours dry camping for several days being conservative and the holding tanks worked real well.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
With the damage on the unit you are looking at, I would offer $20,000 for it if you really like it. The advantage of the Classic is that it has a 54 gal fresh water tank, 39 gal gray water tank and 30 gal black water tank. We have used ours dry camping for several days being conservative and the holding tanks worked real well.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis...If my memory serves me the hail damage is restricted to the read facing panels...and does not extend above the rear window. Do you know how many panels that would likely include? I assume there are 2 "corner" panels transitioning to each side...plus how many "flat" end panels?? I do not remember if the hail impacted the "corner" panels...or not. Obviously I would need to more carefully inspect the roof...but for now I am accepting his claim that the roof was not damaged

BTW...other than cosmetics it appears very useable...sb no impact other than appearance. I DO agree that might be OK short-run...but would "need" to fix long term...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Tom, there is one flat panel below the rear window that also has the recessed area where the license plate is held and there are the two rounded corner panels. Since mine has twin beds, I am not exactly sure if yours would be the same. Mine has the trunk door on the back in the lower part of the back panel.

It seems strange that the lower area is the only part with hail damage unless it was stored under a roof with the back end exposed at the dealer.

Good luck with it.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Valuation question

Hey Tomr, very interesting situation you have here. This could be a very good deal for you but since you said you may want to sell or trade in the near future,I would suggest you really do some homework.
IMHO, for valuation, I would see what the private sellers are selling the 05 Classics for in your area. Take the trailer or at least some very detailed photos of the damage to a dealer or repair shop and try to get a worst case estimate of what it costs to fix. Subtract that and it will get you close to value. Also, I would subtract something for the aggravation of dealing with getting it fixed.
If like Gene said it may have a salvage title, that brings up a whole different can of worms. Ask to see the title. If it is salvage, talk to bank and insurance company to see what the issues are in getting financing and insurance. If financing is not available, it would reduce the folks you would have as potential buyers and you may find yourself in something that is hard to sell like the current owners.
One thing about Airstreams, there are a lot bought and sold every day. This one could be the "one" or you may find something else down the road. Good luck and let us know how this comes out.
Joe
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I don't think I said it might have a salvage title. Maybe I rote slopy. I can't see how less than $5,000 worth of damage would total a trailer that had a retail more than 10 times that. Anyway you can ask the seller.

Gene
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
My humble apology Gene for misquoting you. I picked up the salvage title issue from Bob.
I read sloppy.
Joe
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
Tom R,
I was wondering if the hail damage would cause displacement of exterior panel seams that would result in a leak issue at a later date. I've only had my 25' Safari for a brief time but love it. Best to you.
Shiny metal is offline   Reply With Quote