Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #1

2005 19' Safari
Glasgow , Kentucky
2005 airstream 25ss safari

could you tell me what a fair price would be. it is in excellent condition,except the road side metal where the window's are has a wave in it,small dents,also the two window's where replaced by aitstream at jackson center,oh,because of these repair's the camper has a salvage title.there is no damage anywhere else.things have changed for us so we need to sell it. but don't know what it;s worth. retired sr

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately, you can't sell an Airstream with a salvage title, you can only give it away. Let me know what your address is, and I'll be by directly to pick it up.

Seriously, the value all depends on why the trailer has a salvage title, how well the issue was repaired, and whether the trailer can be titled in another person's name. Someone will jump in with an opinion soon, I hope...

Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Could you clarify the reason for the salvage title?

As I know it, it would obtain a salvage title because at some point it was totalled- cost of repairs exceeded replacement value. It was sold for salvage value and then repaired.

Is this not the scenario for your trailer? To a degree the answer to the above questions, and detailed explanation of who did the repairs/what was done would help determine the value.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
tpi is correct. You need to find out the details of this from the owner and be skeptical about whatever you are told. Where was it repaired and can you see the paperwork. Maybe you should talk to the shop and make a determination whether they were capable of doing a good job. The "wave" concerns me because it says something about the frame, or the aluminum panels that were replaced or overlain where not done correctly. The dents say the job was not completed. Why windows were replaced in JC when other repairs were not is curious—the body work was not done in JC because there would be no "wave".

Gene
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

2005 19' Safari
Glasgow , Kentucky
i'll do the best to explain. the work was done in jc. the aluminum panel was not damaged bad enough to me. there was no frame damage. it was next to one that caught on fire the windows were busted by the heat. i have picture's before and after.other then the wave in the aluminum and the few small dents this camper is in excellent condition.it also has a satellite.we have used the camper twice from ky to florida .when we bought the trailer the sticker's were still on the shower and stove had not been used.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm trying to be gentle here, but something ran up $20,000+ damage for a late model trailer to be totalled and sold for salvage (if my understanding of the salvage process is correct). Can you give us a more detailed explanation of what items went into the repair? I'd be interested in the original estimate of repair which led to the unit being sold for salvage.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Salvage Title

When our trailer was totaled, the insurance company gave us our settlement and they kept the trailer and it had a salvage title. The insurance company offered for us to buy it back and we declined. But I don't know how you register a salvage titled trailer......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #8

2005 19' Safari
Glasgow , Kentucky
we replaced the two large window's. the a/c cover was replaced just because it was damaged,also the cover to the satellite. i belive 2or3 running light's cover's i had replaced. none of the tire's or holding tank's were damaged. i really think the owner must have known someboby. again jc wanted in 2006 to replace the aliminum panel for $3000. i know without seeing the camper it's hard to belive.if a person look's down the side of the camper it's hard to notice.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired sr View Post
we replaced the two large window's. the a/c cover was replaced just because it was damaged,also the cover to the satellite. i belive 2or3 running light's cover's i had replaced. none of the tire's or holding tank's were damaged. i really think the owner must have known someboby. again jc wanted in 2006 to replace the aliminum panel for $3000. i know without seeing the camper it's hard to belive.if a person look's down the side of the camper it's hard to notice.
A picture or two is worth a thousand words, or a hundred back-and-forth posts. If you have any of the trailer, and of the area the problem is/was in, you can post them in this thread, and we'll know a bit more.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Retired', sounds like you've checked it out and that the panel may have been buckled by the heat. That it was repaired in JC is a plus. I believe your original question was about what it's worth. I don't know that value, but the very facts you stated—salvage title, wavy panel, will bring out questions and affect value. Depending on which panel, $3,000-4,000 sounds right for a side panel. I suppose you can subtract the $3,000 that was quoted from whatever the normal price was for that model of that year—even that is hard to determine because there really aren't that many Airstreams of each trim line and model and year.

The salvage title may be more of a problem, and you'd have to check, but the next title may be a regular one.

So it's hard to say value because the market for your particular situation is very small. You have a unique situation—it's not an accident, but next to a fire, and what you paid for it is what it's worth.

Gene