Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
2001 Safari 25 SS listed at $14,901

Since my wife and I have been shopping, I thought I would pass on this to the forum. We saw Stafford RV in Virginia offering a 2001 Safari 25 SS for $14,901. My best guess is that this is about $1,000 over "book." I spoke with the salesperson who said they had a potential buyer but the financing fell through. My wife and I were interested initially, but the floor plan didn't really work for us. We're still going back and forth between used and vintage. Still, I thought the pricing info might be useful.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Not sure on pricing....

I have found that price is all relevant as to location and availability. You can hold out for the $1000 here or there and then miss out on one or two seasons of quality time with family that you can just not put a price on period.

Think very hard between the two - Vintage and New. To find a good quality vintage needing minimal work is really really hard to find. Be prepared to have your budget squashed with vintage in a matter of weeks. Your ideas and thoughts will change considerably as to what you want and need with the vintage - sometimes good and sometimes bad.

We love both and both have their advantages and disadvantages - it just all depends on your situation.

If you might be interested in a 1961 26' Overlander in need of some work along (I think there are still some pics in my gallery of when we picked her up) with some very reasonable parts from a 2000 Excella that can make her what she needs to be - A great Family Vacation Vehicle - then PM me.

Our initial goal was to retain the vintage look on the outside and update the inside due to its use as a Oil Rig Bunk House in Alaska. The electrical system is the only thing that works - we have replaced the running gear. Nothing else has been done. We had purchased most of the parts we needed for the restoration like waterheater, all new running lights, porch light and several parts from the Excella such as skylight, fantastic vents, possibly the fridge, Microwave, cabinetry. Toyed with the idea of the excella Bathroom - but could not get the layout right without loosing a side window - the options are endless if you have imagination, time and inclination. (Oh a garage to work in year round also helps)

We have not sorted any pricing yet - but we are considering selling it now that we have the newer CCD. We are keeping our little 19' GT though, as a hobby and hope to finish her one day in the next two years. Some of the Excella parts have been slated for her too - like the AC is already taken and installed on the GT. Solar panel and system is now slated for the CCD.

PS the Overlander can be what ever layout - there is a back bathroom setup then the mid section is presently set for two singles but many were set up for doubles as well you could go for singles plus bunks over top.

The front had nothing there and can either be designed for a large L type seating with a great dinette set up Rather than just the couch. The galley is spacious and has room for the full size fridge - there is a working 80's propane Dometic fridge in it. I would not trust the furnace in there, however we had considered installing the excella furnace instead.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thanks for the offer. I'll take a look at the pics.
While everyone wants a good deal, we're content to make a fair deal for the right trailer. A thousand or two is not much in the grand scheme of things.

I know we pretty much have to throw out any "book" when it comes to valuing vintage trailers. Having restored vintage autos, I know that with most projects, an owner can put far more time and money in than can normally be recovered through sales.

The Safari in the title of my post led to an interesting discussion with a private seller. The owner of a 99 Safari 25 (roughly the same travel trailer) wants over $20,000. While we're still shopping vintage, a gently used Safari work would for us, but I was curious about the price. As best I can tell, $20,000 is about double NADA "book" and over $5,000 more than a dealer is asking for a trailer two years newer. The seller referred me to some ads on RVTraderOnline which made the $20,000 seem more in line, but I don't understand the variance with "book" values (which are supposedly market driven).

I'm not fixated on NADA book. We expect to pay cash for anything we buy so I'm not concerned about financing, insurance or other related issues. I can understand RV dealerships trying to secure a premium on used Airstreams, particularly since they are uncommon compared to many other makes and models of trailers. I'd normally expect ten or twenty percent over book... but 50 to 100?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Hampstead38,
From what I have seen 14,000.00 does not sound unreasonable for a 2001 model especially if it is a 25 footer. It seems as we have been looking for a newer model the 25 footers are the most desirable and the most expensive. Obviously, location has a lot to do with the price as well. I noticed in the classified section a 99 wide body 25 footer for sale in southern Ohio for 22,000.00, that is a little high.
We have a vintage now, while a really love it I am a little nervous about taking it on the road for an extended trip. It definately needs new axles, shocks and tires. Best of luck.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
How funny! I was in the Baltimore area last week for a business trip and a friend and I drove down to Virginia Beach for a day trip. I saw silver on the way back and grabbed the camera, and it just so happened to be Safford RV! One of these is probably the trailer you are talking about.

Bonus: There is a rainbow in the left corner of the first shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-27-08 50 VA Beach trip - ASs & rainbow.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	64981 Click image for larger version

Name:	7-27-08 51 VA Beach trip - Safford RV.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	64980

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My wife and I made a day trip to Safford earlier this summer. They have a fairly decent inventory of new Airstreams, but not much in the way of "gently used" trailers and nothing vintage. The folks there were nice and let us wander around without too much "selling."' It was hotter than blue blazes the day we visited. The only rainbow would have been one over my forehead... from the rising steam.

I agree that the $14,900 seems reasonable... although I say that not having seen the trailer to "kick the tires." I imagine we're going to spend more than that... whether it's up front for a new AS or in "blood, sweat and tears" on a vintage renovation. For two people, 25' seems to be the "sweet spot," although I'm sure by saying that I will be proven wrong.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Good Moves

Buying an Airstream is difficult, no doubt. You are asking the right questions.

If the configuration is not what you want, why buy, even if a "bargain."
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sounds like a fair price to me. I'd expect everything to work, and for it to be camp ready.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote