Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
1994 Excella 1000 selling price

Hello-
I have a 30 ft. 1994 Excella 1000 that I'm in he process of selling.
How can I determine an asking price. the RV NADA is a joke. It list this Airstream below $4,000

Updates:
Recent upgrades
Dometic refrigerator
Furnace blower motor
Gas regulator 6 gallon Atwood water heater
Aqua Magic V foot pedal flush toilet
300 watt solar unit.
Set of tires with less than 3000 miles
Repacked wheel bearings
Replaced tinted plexi rock guard.
New custom curtains for front section.

Thank you,

Mark Williams
St. Louis, MO
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
12 to 22k would be my guess based on its condition.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshell View Post
How can I determine an asking price. the RV NADA is a joke. It list this Airstream below $4,000
Yep, that's the age-old question...

Be sure to check Airstream Classifieds here on Air Forums. Also look at Craigslist to see what people are asking. Of course, asking price is not necessarily selling price.

I agree with CRH - the price is probably in the mid teens to low 20's. We have a 1992, 29' Classic and my seat of the pants feel was mid teens for our trailer. However, based on recent asking prices I've seen on Airstream Classifieds the price may be high teens to low 20's.

Good Luck
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Thank you for responding to my question.

I have an additional question. The RV NADA list 30 Foot 1994 Excellas value at around $4,000. If the Excella would sell between $12 and $20k on the open market why wouldn't the insurance companies cover the trailer within these price ranges instead of using the NADA as their method of establishing a value.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hmmm... good point about insurance coverage. Not sure why they don't reflect more accurate numbers.

We specifically requested our insurance agent to cover us for a "stated value" that was much higher than the NADA value at the time.

Based on recent asking prices and allowing some discount for actual selling price it looks like we need to increase the stated value for our trailer.

I don't know about other RV brands but Airstream prices/values seem to be underestimated by NADA, KBB and other sources.

COPI (Cars Of Particular Interest) may publish information about RVs. I used them to value on our 1966 El Camino and our 1984 Jeep CJ-7, both of which were way underestimated by NADA type reference guides.

If insurance protection is your concern you can always hire a professional appraiser - costs a few hundred dollars but might be helpful to establish a fair value.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Take your NADA blue book and put it in your bathroom. If you like numbers it passes the time. Also good backup if you run out of TP.

It is harder to find a insurance company that will insure an older Airstream for what it is worth, if at all. What you need is an "agreed value" policy. Not too many companies do them. Check with FCIS. You will also need to have your AS appraised. You will need documentation of sale price, repairs, upgrades, maintainance. etc.

I bought my 93 34' Classic Excella 2 years ago for $20K. It was in excellent shape with a redone interior.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
For older Airstreams that are in good to excellent conditions that you intend to keep and maintain, spend the $300 +/- for a certified Airstream appraiser, and give that to your insurance company. The term isn't "stated value" it is "agreed value" and it needs to be stated as "agreed value" in the boilerplate of the insurance policy text. If your insurance company won't do it, shop around until you get one that does. Recommendations can be made if you want. If you are selling, the classified ads in the usual Airstream venues are a good guide, but with AS it isn't age, or length so much as condition, condition, condition. You have to convince the skeptical buyer that your Airstream is a great value at the price you are asking. How big of a hurry you are in also affects the price. My completely redone 1990 Excella 29' is "agreed value" insured for $33K and I wouldn't sell it for that amount. Good Luck.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Don't really know anything about NADA, but wouldn't they use recent sale price info to set their values, or do they just use some sort of age based depreciation value applied equally to all trailers?

Anyone know how it works?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
value

do you have any pictures?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
You did not say a lot about the exterior or the air conditioner. If you AS was recently polished and clear coated that will enhance the value significantly. Also, what about awnings? You likely have a model worth somewhere in the low teens to low 20s. MOre information is needed to be more precise.

David Parker
1989 Dodge D-350
1993 Excello 1000
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
NADA is better for car values than RV values - you caught on to that right away. Nothing new in this saying - something is worth exactly what someone will actually pay for it. It looks like you have a good range of prices from other posters and, like anything, get a range set in your mind and start toward the top and be willing to negotiate within your range. There are buyers out there and I'd much rather be selling an Airstream than any other brand!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Thanks again for your responses.

As far as insuring my Airstream I will need to speak with my agent in more detail. If an insurance company uses NADA as their pricing guideline we could all be in trouble. I live in the midwest an area prone to tornados and hail storms. I just want to be assured in the case of severe damage or complete loss my coverage would be enough to replace my Airstream with one of similar values based upon open market pricing not the NADA.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks again for your responses.

As far as insuring my Airstream I will need to speak with my agent in more detail. If an insurance company uses NADA as their pricing guideline we could all be in trouble. I live in the midwest an area prone to tornados and hail storms. I just want to be assured in the case of severe damage or complete loss my coverage would be enough to replace my Airstream with one of similar values based upon open market pricing not the NADA.

The exact insurance term you need to INSIST on is "Agreed Value." And with that, somewhere clearly stated the $ amount of the Agreed Value.

This will probably cost you $300+/- from a certified Airstream appraiser. There are several groups of certification, IVAN being only one of them. My first insurer was State Farm, and after having them for two years I discovered that they would have used NADA or something similar, so I changed to another company which used a higher scale but didn't say Agreed Value, and when I had a claim I barely dodged a bullet. I then got a certified appraisal for Agreed Value, and went with still another company whose salesman understood I wanted Agreed Value, told me it was in the policy, and in emails confirmed it. But when I changed companies the following year, found out that the previous policy did not have agreed value or anything similar. I am now with Nationwide who used the Agreed Value appraisal and it is written in the text of the policy along with the dollar amount.

Some underwriters will only give Agreed Value if you have your Airstream in a locked garage, but not everyone has that luxury. Good Sam consultants can assist with getting Agreed Value, but you have to use that term and keep asking if that is going to be written in the text along with the dollar amount.

Only then will you be really insured with an Airstream more than a few years old. Good luck.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post

The exact insurance term you need to INSIST on is "Agreed Value." And with that, somewhere clearly stated the $ amount of the Agreed Value.

This will probably cost you $300+/- from a certified Airstream appraiser. There are several groups of certification, IVAN being only one of them. My first insurer was State Farm, and after having them for two years I discovered that they would have used NADA or something similar, so I changed to another company which used a higher scale but didn't say Agreed Value, and when I had a claim I barely dodged a bullet. I then got a certified appraisal for Agreed Value, and went with still another company whose salesman understood I wanted Agreed Value, told me it was in the policy, and in emails confirmed it. But when I changed companies the following year, found out that the previous policy did not have agreed value or anything similar. I am now with Nationwide who used the Agreed Value appraisal and it is written in the text of the policy along with the dollar amount.

Some underwriters will only give Agreed Value if you have your Airstream in a locked garage, but not everyone has that luxury. Good Sam consultants can assist with getting Agreed Value, but you have to use that term and keep asking if that is going to be written in the text along with the dollar amount.

Only then will you be really insured with an Airstream more than a few years old. Good luck.
Thank for the information.
I wonder how many folks actually have this done for their Airstream or any other RV?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I get an Agreed Value (25K) on my '96 for about $370 per year through AVIVA
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Thank for the information.
I wonder how many folks actually have this done for their Airstream or any other RV?
My impression is most owners of restored vintage Airstreams more than 25 years old do. Less than 25 years old I am not sure.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I get an Agreed Value (25K) on my '96 for about $370 per year through AVIVA
JCW
Were you required to have your Airstream appraised before the Agreed coverage? I've never heard of AVIVA.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Softshell
I thought AVIVA was an international company, but it appears it is Canadian.
My agreed to value is what I paid for the trailer...just told them what I paid and that is factored into my insurance rate. I actually get the insurance through an RV magazine company who partner with insurance agencies to get a "group" rate.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote