Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
The earlier Limiteds without the tongue jack use a very different style of front jacks than what mine has. Mine are JUST stabilizers, not weight-raising jacks. Mine has the super-duper power tongue jack. The ones without the tongue jack have a vertical lift style of jack under the corners.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Vertical Lift Style...

Rog -

SilverToy does have 2 different styles of stabilizers. The rear are a 'scissor style' jack that is power down and power up. The front are what I can only presume to be the 'Vertical Lift Style'. They are a straight vertical type 'pipe' with a foot at the bottom. Wouldn't know that they are capable of lifting the trailer at the front as I have never tried.

Now that I think about it, they do seem capable of lifting as I can recall a bit of frame flex, not allowing the door to close and lock, when I didn't do things in proper order on a VERY HOT unhitching afternoon, after driving 400 odd miles. Sigh.

So, if the trailer has the 'Vertical Lift Style' front stabilizers from the factory, would I still have the hole for mounting the TJ? I ask since the manual TJ also seemed out of place in a trailer that has power everything else - as someone else mentioned. Am considering adding my own power TJ - which brand and capacity is on your 34' Rog???

Is there somewhere I can find out if I DO have the VLS front jacks? Manual from JC is no help. Is there a place to look on the jacks themselves? Would be an interesting tidbit to go with the front and rear Wraparounds/ Panoramic windows. These are, from all I have gathered and seen so far, a pretty rare commodity on any trailer, much less a Big Rig! Unique is Good.

Love my SilverToy!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Here's the jack that's on mine:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000194337

Roger
Old 12-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Axel,
There is a 92 Limited listed in the Classifieds here on the board and it looks to me like it does not have the tounge jack. And I looked at another one awhile back and it did not have one either. So I would assume that the power down front jacks are used in lieu of the single tongue jack. However being the belt and suspenders type I would definitely have a power tongue jack in addition to the power stabilizers. IMHO it would suck to have the power stabilizers go out...unless there is a way of using them manually....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Axel,

My two front jacks are essentially the same type of jacks as are most commonly found on the tongue, only they're inboard, and turned 90 degrees. There is a space in the A frame for a tongue jack, but mine had a cap there instead.

The rear stabilizer jacks are an A&E Power Twin unit, design now owned by Ultra-Fab.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
IMHO it would suck to have the power stabilizers go out...unless there is a way of using them manually....

Aaron
Indeed it would.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
One more thing, Axel.... Always remember to have the coach leveled the way you want it before lowering the rear jacks, and have them up before raising the front to hitch up - otherwise you might have a 34' aluminum banana.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Aluminum banana....

More about the stabilizers -

Dave - On the occation of the door not closing/locking properly I had in fact lowered the rear jacks, front too - then noticed that it was off a bit (down at the nose) so I cranked up the Fronts. Tried to lock SilverToy to get to the pool and NO dice. Fumbled and fiddled in the 105 degree (PLUS humidity) while the kids patiently waited ( OK, not really!) for dad to get his a** in gear.

You know that scene in "A Christmas Story" - the "you'll shoot your eye out kids" movie - where the dad is downstairs cursing a blue streak at the furnace? Well that was me with the door.

Finally stopped after about 5 minutes and took a drink of water (lost 1 quart of sweat just from the swearing!) and while replenishing the system I thought about it. Ah ha! Released the rears, leveled, reset all stabilizers again. Bingo! Pool here I come....!

Rog - Your TJ looks like a nice unit but rather pricy? Or? Seems I had a mind that they were more in the $200 range. Is the 3K capacity really needed or is that just a "I sleep better" variable? Is there a difference in the voltage between the 3K and say, a 2K? What other things do I need to consider as I look at possible replacement units for the manual crank that is there now.

Was just thinking that it is really nice to be talking with other 34' owners. I check the trailer listing and there has been no new activity there since forever ago - I was even the poster there.

Might there be a way within the Forums parameters to get a bi-monthly chat going or something? Would that interest anyone? Photo posting with comparisons or look, design, equipment, etc... Could even be useful to a newbie that is considering a big AS - We might even be able to go year by year if we have representational units of the major change model years. Just a thought. Feedback?

Anyway, to all a good night - and a VERY Happy New Year!

Axel
Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #29
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy

Was just thinking that it is really nice to be talking with other 34' owners. I check the trailer listing and there has been no new activity there since forever ago - I was even the poster there.
Axel'
I suspect there aren't very many 34' owners registered on here. Most of the ones I have seen are older non internet savy couples as well as limited production. I would suspect that the 34' are only about 3-5% of total AS production...if that.

Quote:
Might there be a way within the Forums parameters to get a bi-monthly chat going or something? Would that interest anyone? Photo posting with comparisons or look, design, equipment, etc... Could even be useful to a newbie that is considering a big AS - We might even be able to go year by year if we have representational units of the major change model years. Just a thought. Feedback?
I am all for it! Eventually if not sooner I am going to get a 34' as far as we are concerned it is a no brainer FWIW the chat room is open 24/7 feel free to schedule a chat anytime you want. Pictures are always welcome and wanted! The big Airstreams are few and far between to look at and Limiteds even more so.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #30
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
More about the stabilizers -

Rog - Your TJ looks like a nice unit but rather pricy? Or? Seems I had a mind that they were more in the $200 range. Is the 3K capacity really needed or is that just a "I sleep better" variable? Is there a difference in the voltage between the 3K and say, a 2K? What other things do I need to consider as I look at possible replacement units for the manual crank that is there now.

Axel
Yeah... it looks pricey... but when you're lifting both the trailer tongue AND the rear end of an Excursion to make sure that the coupler is on correctly, it's worth it's weight in gold. It IS what came on the trailer stock, by the way. I've never replaced it. They're all 12v. I suspect that the 3500 lb has a heavier amperage motor though. My advice would be just to buy the heavier tongue jack. If your front jacks ever die, you'll know you can raise your trailer just with the tongue and not burn it out. Let's face it, if you're worried about the extra $100, you probably wouldn't have bought an Airstream to begin with... EVERYTHING that has to do with the body and/or chassis is more expensive... <sigh>

There are only a few other 34' owners who are nutty enough to drag them around as though they were 25' trailers. Aaron's right, most folks who buy 34' trailers buy them to park and winter over in. Ours was used that way for nine years prior to us buying it, but the owners towed it home to New Jersey from FLA every year rather than just leaving it.

The 34' trailers really aren't any different from any other size except for the additional axle, the horizontal tanks and (maybe in the case of the older trailers,) the jacks. Everything else is Airstream stock stuff, so all of the regular discussions apply.

Roger
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
I don't think I'm nutty! just skillfull. All it takes is practice. We take ours anyplace it will fit. Pull throughs are never as nice a the back in sites. I think they were ment for people who are in a hurry , or who don't know how to backup. If you have kids bigger is better. 34's rule.
And yes go with the larger jack. It will not work as hard and will last longer.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #32
_

. , .
hi looooooooooong trailler lovers.

whoonc......
during my 6 tours of the factory, over several months there were never more than 2-3 classics on the line, much less 34s. so i think they are making fewer of them these days. otoh i visited only one day when mine was on the line....and the guys building it said they really enjoyed working on the longer units more.....they had more space to work, and they had more time and were installing essentially the same systems but again with better room to work.
i though this was mostly a line of bull about them "liking" the 34s better, but when i returned 6 months later and again toured with a crowd of people, several of the guys pointed at me, smiled and said "34 limted, no carpet........nice, really nice" i was really amazed that they not only remembered me but remembered the actual trailer too.

silvertoy......
i like the idea of better 34s discussions here. ya know everyone thinks the bambis are cute and the ccds are hip and the safari se are the rage......but lets give it up for the 34s........

it is true that lots of the 34 owners are old farts but it's sort of silly/cool to go to wbcci rally and see all of those loooooong officers' trailers....

towing it is a hoot..........and not a strain with the proper tugboat.

triple axles triple the fun!!!

i wanted the shortest airstream on 6 wheels!!!

get a 34, you'll never wish for '2 feet' more!!

cheers all
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #33
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
2airshuman,
Hear, Hear for the 34's! I have towed all variety of trailers over the years up to an including 65' with a Freightliner. To me the Airstream regardless of length is a sweet tow. "Triple Axles, Triple the fun" I love it! bumper sticker coming up! We currently have a 31'...what was available at time that fit the budget. The current "tug" is more than capable of a 34' in fact it "NEEDS" a 34...now if I could just convince the other half/financial advisor....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Backing up the 34' is FUN!

Maybe I AM a nut!

I think that towing the triple is great. The kids all have their eyes peeled out the front, and the sides, looking for triples going the other way, parked or "For sale". As others have mentioned, they are few and far between. Even SOB triples aren't that common, and if you do see them, they are 5ers. Just don't have the same class and style, but then I'm partial.

When we visited my folks near South Haven MI, we were the only triple, the only AS in the campground, and even the "Millionaire Row" Class A big toy owners came over for tours. They all marveled at 'the look', 'the room' and the usual 'they still build these?'

As I said, maybe I am a nut! I REALLY like backing the big rig. It is a really fun challenge and not difficult at all, to me! Squeezed SilverToy into several spots where nearly everyone tried to wave me off. The spot in MI referenced above, was one that had lots of shade and consequently was a narrow back in, due to hanging branches. The campground owners were telling me that the spot was nearly never used since no one could back into it without damage from the trees. AAAAAhhhh, a challenge! We loved the spot - right by the horseshoe pits! Even my dad, a lifelong non-camper, loved SilverToy. He claims it is the classiest looking trailer he has ever seen ( admittedly small selection!)

When I back, I do it solo. Lots of getting out and scouting. No rash moves. Even had to do a nineteen point turn into/ out of a gas station when my daughter needed an emergency stop - NOW!!!! Waited patiently for all the cars to get out of the way, then slowly and narrowly past 2 pump islands. Back on the road. Didn't break a sweat. Never let them see you sweat.

Might see about getting the chat room for some time upcoming. Is there any enthusiasm for something like that? Do realize that the 34' are similar to many other AS's but yet.... They really are a trailer apart. For lots of reasons.

Size DOES matter! ;>)

Axel
Old 12-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #35
Craftsman

Here's another vote for 34',s. Although we bought a 94 25' Classic last year, ( we already own a 31' 1976 Sovereign) I came very close to buying an 05 34'. My wife convinced me to hold off since we sold and bought another house and I had to build a new shop. I see a 34' in the drive in the not to distant future, so I'm always interested in any post dealing with the 34' classic or Limited.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #36
_

. , .
here's a couple of photos from the factory during the march 05 build.....

it was fun seeing the process.....but not recommended for the weak.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	factory trip.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	17293  
Old 12-27-2005, 08:49 PM   #37
_

. , .
couple more......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	factory trip 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	17294   Click image for larger version

Name:	factory visit 3.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	17295  

Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #38
_

. , .
and the finished product.....in used as intended.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished product.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	17296   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished product 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	17297  

Name:	finished product 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	17298  
Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Man - every time I see a pic of someone's 34' I just fall in love all over again.

I'm going to go outside and look at mine, now!

I noticed Airstream finally put up a virtual tour for the 34' SO. Pretty sweet!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I LOVE the big ones TOO!

Ah, the big ones....

The do have a certian unescapable allure to them, don't they??? It is a bit difficult to put an exact finger on where that draw is, comes from, exists....But yet, there is one. It is a bit like that electricity pulls the 2 poles together, inexorably....

Me, I JUST LOVE EM!!!!! No fancy testing needed! Stick a fork in me ,I'm done when it comes to the "Big Boy Toys" - I wanna go play with mine!

Will be posting photos from the latest trip ( as soon as they come back from the devolping place.

Axel