Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Fulton , Missouri
1988 Argosy 35' 5th wheel with slideout

I have what I understand is one of only five Argosy with a left hand slide out. It is in amazing condition. We are the third owners. I have the original sales slip, brochures, manuals, blueprints, receipts and manuals for any repairs over the years,trip records, etc. Even correspondence from the retired original Airstream engineer to the first owner with the engineers home phone number! How does the rarity effect value? We are thinking of selling.

Thanks for your guidance.
ckayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayak View Post
I have what I understand is one of only five Argosy with a left hand slide out. It is in amazing condition. We are the third owners. I have the original sales slip, brochures, manuals, blueprints, receipts and manuals for any repairs over the years,trip records, etc. Even correspondence from the retired original Airstream engineer to the first owner with the engineers home phone number! How does the rarity effect value? We are thinking of selling.

Thanks for your guidance.
Not much if at all IMHO. You have a 22 year old fifth wheel, if anything the "rarity" goes against it because people won't recognize the name and they no longer build it. Many repair parts will be impossible to find.

The Argys 5'vers I have seen are decent units, but very dated by today's standards. AFAIK there isn't much if any of a collectors market for fifth wheels.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like you have an amazing Argosy, love to see some pics. Like any collectible, you would have to find that market, then give it a shot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the market is brutal reality.

Have you had it appraised?

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
My experience in selling vehicles has been that the documentation you have will make the unit more sellable, but not more valuable. If there is any increase in value, it wouldn't be much. How much more would you pay for a fully loaded 1988 Suburban, just because it had the owner's manuals, and a letter from the president of GM?

I've seen Argosy 5th wheels going for anywhere from $3000 to $8000. It's a very special sub-sub market. Most people are looking for Airstream products because they are easy to tow, and have the shape of the Airstream. A person looking for a 5th wheel will likely want a newer one, not one that's old enough to buy its own booze.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Fulton , Missouri
Thanks for responding

I am headed to the lake today to burn leaves and will take some photos. I only have a few. We love the trailer. It has great space. We are thinking about replacing it with a cabin for more permanent living. Or, if it has no real collector's value I may add on to it.

Thank you to everyone for their input. We have been very careful to not make any custom changes. I think that I will feel more comfortable now updating the inside. Or, pulling off the slide out and adding on.

Al, we have not had it appraised. I did not even know there was such a thing. Would I just call my local RV shop?
ckayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Yeah, but if your really not set on selling it I wouldn't bother with it. You can also research it online, may be someone close to you. Probably be more disappointing than anything, but would give you an idea. The numbers Terry gave a pretty much in the ballpark. You could always list it on Craigslist and see what kind of response you get.

The only appraisal I've had is my insurance so we could arrive at "agreed" policy coverage.

Good Luck,

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Why and how bad do you need to sell it?

When I am selling somehing, I try to remember how bad I wanted it in the first place. There is someone out there who would jump through hoops to get your trailer. Quite possibly, they don't even know that they want it yet. There are people that like Argosys. There are people that like
5th wheels. There are people out there that like slide outs. There are people out there that like long trailers. The trick would be to find someone that values all of those things. The fact that they are not made anymore
would put your trailer in line with the laws of supply and demand. If you can afford to keep it and YOU like it, you could ask more for it than if you simply have to sell it.
I would be interested in seeing a picture of it even though I can't buy it.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
houston , Texas
argosy

ckayak, Ill buy it from you for the right price.
jcm83houtx@yahoo.com
832 283 9119
jcm83houtx is offline   Reply With Quote