Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hennessey , Oklahoma
Question 1978 Sovereign 31' Value

I am bidding on a 1978 Airstream Sovereign travel trailer 31' long. It says she has been stored for the last 7 years. What would the value be on something like this. The pictures are limited but I am interested in purchasing the unit but it looks like it could really need some work. The cabinet looks like water has been leaking through the roof and it has a rear bathroom which is not my prefered choice. This is ebay item number 190002004225.ThanksOkie Guy
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Properly fixed up these units fetch about $5,000. If you do not have the opportunity to inspect this unit in person or use one of our people here look at it for you for a fee, you are taking a big chance. You may find lots of expensive surprises when you go to pick it up.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The 3 big ticket items I would be concerned about are rear end sag, floor and axels. With out information about these items I would not consider the trailer. BTW, the trailer is sitting low, a bad sign for the axels.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I have two 1978 trailers(one sold) and this looks good, but with three days to go the price looks high, at the present price you could improve and not be in to deep. Tires, battery, bearings are autumatic. I like the vinyl walls and our only problem was the vinyl on the bath plywood walls came loose. I replaced the bath/shower wall with a piece of acrylic plastic and glued the other wall back togeather. I think the full bath in the rear is great, with lots of storage. When we bought the sovereign 6 years ago the walls and ceiling were sticky and I tried everything to clean. Ended up with Krud Kutter on fifth washing of wall and it clean up nice. Had to wash last year, but it was a simple wash down. Flooring was bad on in three spots in the sovereign and all were patched prior to a coat of epoxy and new carpet. When I removed bath wall I found the worst section under the tub had gone undetected! This was the largest area to replace and most difficult to get at.
On my 78 Tradewind the floor is original and in good condition thru out. I have Zip dee awnings on two trailers and they are much better than any others, my sovereign has A&E and are definately not as good!
I rebuilt the furnaces, cleaned and replaced fan motor on one, cleaned other.
I think Ebay prices tend to be high, but without seeing the trailer its hard to evaluate. Owners tell you what the know usually , but probably don't understand that 7 year old tires that look good are not safe on the road. Batteries that were new and never used may be shot after years of storage.
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Properly fixed up these units fetch about $5,000. If you do not have the opportunity to inspect this unit in person or use one of our people here look at it for you for a fee, you are taking a big chance. You may find lots of expensive surprises when you go to pick it up.
sorry, but I would disagree on the pricing. Rear baths bring somewhat less than rear bedroom, but lately a "fixed up" trailer of this type is bringing 6000-8500 everywhere I have looked. In fact I have been looking for several months after settling on this model of choice for us.
I did buy one also, just last week.
The typical leaks will be in almost all unless the po already addressed that from what I understand. The layout is important as if you really want a rear bedroom, you will always be lusting for another trailer if you don't get it this time around.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hennessey , Oklahoma
Thanks for all the great information. The axle isn't something I had thought about. I had planned on taking the trailer to the tire shop before driving anywhere.
Thanks Again
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Hard for me to tell by those pictures, that the axles are bad. Some folks might say that my axles are bad, and they are only 3 years old! How low the trailer SEEMS to set is determined by the tire profile, i.e., radials or bias ply tires. It is best determined by looking under the trailer at the arm angle.

Here is a picture of mine right after install. I used the old hubs, that's why the bearing caps look kind of ratty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEWPROF.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	22959  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote