Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
1978 Argosy Value?

Hi All,

I came across this 1978 Argosy 20' online and wondering whether or not this is a good value or not. I've asked the seller for more information and more pictures, but I'm not certain if there are specific things I should be aware of on Argosys like (axles that often go out on Caravels, etc.).

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Meter 22' Travel Trailer (B) | ViewRVs.com

Would love some feedback on thoughts. I love the silver Airstream look, but also love the idea of being able to paint this Argosy at some point, something like a bright red that might go well with my vintage 1967 VW Beetle for car shows, etc.

My intention for the camper is to be road ready and not require extensive renovation as I just don't have the time.

Any thoughts are welcome!
Thanks!
Mike
66caravel_ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
All torsion axles will need to be replaced after several decades but looking at that one, it appears that it may have already been done.

That link doesn't actually discuss details of what systems work has been done to the trailer - might be worth finding out. Clearly many interior features have been altered. While the layout seems to be about the same it looks as though cabinetry was amended in various ways. Glass tile in the bathroom and the fancy sink are odd choices as well as they are likely to add weight as well as some possibility of road induced repair issues.

That is a cool model (not many around) and lightweight. You need more info....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Janet's right, you definitely need more info. Does it have a refrigerator? If so, is it an RV 2-way fridge or a dorm fridge? What was done besides the glass tile and the blue cabinetry that replaced the gaucho? Is the axle original or updated?

I note that you're in Iowa and this trailer doesn't have AC... that may not be a consideration for you, but it's definitely a negative in my opinion (it's currently 90F outside my house, and I see that it's a humid 80F in Waterloo).

There's a really useful inspection checklist here on the forums. Look it over and make a list of questions before you get attached to the idea of any particular unit on the market.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
Thanks!!

Yes, I'm hoping to hear back from the seller soon. I understand I'd likely have to put air in it. And yes, well need that in Iowa!

I'll check out the checklist you linked to as well.

Just for comparisons sake, I'm also considering a 1966 Airstream Safari 22'. That's a little more (and a lot closer).

Any thoughts from Argosy owners why one is better than the other?

This is the Safari I'm considering:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...i-22-illinois/

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I like the big windows of the Argosy. It appears that while the Safari has an air conditioner, it's not currently working so that's a bit of a wash.

There really aren't functional differences between Argosy and Airstream trailers of similar size and age. Since the 2 trailers you are comparing are 12 years apart in age, though, the Argosy will have a small greywater tank and the Safari will not, unless it's been added by a previous owner (and it's not mentioned in the ad.)

The Safari is close enough for you to make a reasonable trip to look at it in person (much closer than Oregon at least.) That's something of an advantage.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
No mention of appliances and no picture of the curb side. No doors on the cabinet under the sink. Does it have an awning? Is the furnace original, or missing? All these things add up. Paint looks nice, but like other posters said, you need more information. We love the big pano windows in our Argosy, would never go back to a 70's Airstream with the small front windows.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One difference between the 2 is the Argosy will have a grey water tank. The A$ won't unless the PO had one installed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
This isn't for a 1978, but I wanted to get your opinion... here's a 1973 that's 20' that's listed for $7,500. Seems like a lot has been done to it and it's in pretty decent condition, but still some things I could do to make it my own and a couple things that do need to get done yet, but nothing like tearing out the inside.

1973' Argosy 20' —*$7,500

Here's what the seller says has been done:
New Dometic, 13,500 BTU roof mount AC
New propane set up, tank dial regulator and all new copper and rubber lines throughout.
New OEM(last one Inland RV had) water tank
New valves and connections
New Shurlow whisper soft water pump
New Pex plumbing throughout
New propane hot water heater
New Optimus RV battery
New wiring to electricals
New Boondocker charger / converter
New 12 V blade fuse panel and much new wiring.
New 6 ply tires and modular wheels
New Valtera grey/black dump valve
New Black tank plumbing
New Black tank
New Dometic Sealand Traveler toilet
New kitchen counter top
PO repainted stove and sink
New Dometic propane/110 elect refrig
New plank floating floor(all soft spots in subfloor were replaced
Some lights have been changed to LED
New interior prime and paint
All new foam and upholstery on gaucho and front booth
New mini blinds
New 30 Amp 110 shore line

Here's what the seller says should still be done:
Front roof vent needs to be replaced with air max or similar powered fan/vent
The load leveler hitch that comes with it will need to be adjusted( I have towed it with just a regular 2” ball hitch on my Toyota Tacoma Pickup)
Rear tail/turns need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Curtains are need for front wrap windows
One new Airstream BAL jack is needed(the other 3 work fine)
There is no sun awning but one could be added
Counter back splash/wall needs a covering for aesthetics
Sliding door between bath and the trailer needs to be maintained

The trailer came from Oklahoma and there are some pea size dents on the upper rear, street side of the trailer. (I would ignore them) The exterior is way better than average in paint condition but a new paint job in the future(pearlescent white) would be an improvement.

You absolutely need to build or buy a protective cover for the front Panoramic wrap windows for when you are driving(these are unique to the Argosy). My Minuet(the next project) was missing the streetside wrap when I got it. It took me 6 months to find one $600…about average. An Airstream replacement(not exact) is about +- $1000 with shipping.

Any thoughts?
Thanks all!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
What about this one in Florida? It says it's a factory restore (?). Seems a little high, unless everything is done - but I think it's been on the lot for a bit. Listed as $12,995.

1974 Argosy 20' – $12,995
#14511 - 1974 Airstream 20 for sale in Punta Gorda FL

More images at link.

Description says:
COMPLETE FACTORY RESTORE TRAILER ABSOLUTE MINT SHOWROOM

NEW TIRES/ NEW A-C/ NEW FANTASTIC FAN/NEW PAINT/ NEW ALUM WHEELS/NEW AWNING/EVERYTHING WORKS /NEW FRONT WINDOWS/ NEW ALUM STONE GUARD..... NO PETS... NO SMOKING.... NO SMELLS... GREAT FOR COUPLE SLEEPS 2-3 WITH FRONT AND SIDE BED

FULL BATHROOM AND FULL KITCHEN

COMPLETE WITH 2ND SET TIRES AND COMPLETE LOAD LEVEL BARS AND TOTAL HITCH ASSEMBLY , JUST HOOK IT UP AND PULL AWAY , NO EXTRA ITEMS TO BUY ( brk. ctl. req. )on tow vehicle UNDER 4900 LBS

TOW WITH MID SIZE SUV OR SMALLER PICKUP TRUCK

Any thoughts appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
Any thoughts on these Argosy trailers I posted anyone? Just curious what people think. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Not sure what "Factory Restored" means.
The price is high for a 20' unit.
IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Mike, you are already spending a lot of time and energy looking and that is just the beginning!

Get something you can take to the next car show now. Imagine your Beetle up on the deck after you check out my link below.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
Smokeless Joe. That's a beautiful Argosy, but I think it's just a bit beyond my price range. But thanks for reminding me of it. It is absolutely beautiful!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
Any thoughts on the one I posted earlier the 1973 Argosy 20' that's listed as post #8, for $7,500? (Are the pictures showing for you guys? Most show for me but a few don't.)

I need to find someone close to AZ to see if I can find someone close to inspect and see what it would cost to bring it up. Not sure I should make the first trip a 1,200+ or 24 hr trip, non-stop!

Seems a pretty good value and the owner has a lot of details covered. Mostly what's left is cosmetic it seems.

Thanks!
Mike