Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Merced , California
1974 Landyacht Safari 23'

All knowing guru's,

My wife purchased this AS last week for the nice price of $1500. Did we get a good deal? It seems all original and really has everything including the awning hardware minus the roller tube. The glass is all perfect. The right side is immaculate, the left side needs banana wraps and the front skin replaced. We are looking at demo-ing everything inside and building new cabinets and bunks to accomodate us and the children better. Please take a look at the link. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=751521021/a=943639021_943639021/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
4Cochrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Merced , California
Also, is there any value to selling a complete interior or the original appliances?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Can't see but the one small photo without joining Snapfish, but $1500 is not a lot of money for that trailer. You can sell the appliances if they are good, but if they are good, why not use them? About selling the cabinets, can't advise you on that. Good luck with your project.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Merced , California
Sorry. My wife uploaded to the wrong site. Please see this album:

4Cochrans Airstream Project
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the FORUMS. The trailer looks nice. Before you begin on the inside, check out the frame. Any idea why the banana wraps were removed? There could be some missing cross members or rust in that area. There is also the possibility of rotten plywood in the floor. For the price, looks like you have a good trailer to start with.
Have fun with it.....
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Merced , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Welcome to the FORUMS. The trailer looks nice. Before you begin on the inside, check out the frame. Any idea why the banana wraps were removed? There could be some missing cross members or rust in that area. There is also the possibility of rotten plywood in the floor. For the price, looks like you have a good trailer to start with.
Have fun with it.....
Silverhobby, thanks for the response. I removed the banana wrap because it was haging off in two pieces and wanted to see the frame. I think they lost a tire at one point which wripped off the wrap and part of the pan. The pan looks pretty good elsewhere and the crossmembers in that area have surface rust, but otherwise look solid. We are planning a shell on floor fix as there were mice in the trailer and I want to get everything cleaned out as they were no doubt living it up under the floor. I also want to treat and repair any frame rust, cracks or supports before buttoning her up. The trailer was sitting for over 10 years in the elements and I have no idea what works. My preliminary tests show that all AC plugs work, but I need a new inverter before I can check the lights. Appliances are iffy and havent been able to get any up so far. This is why i am thinking of new cabinetry and beds for better use of space and new appliances.

Please keep the comments coming.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Looks good. Finding and older Airstream like this that has been sitting idle for several years without any major changes that have been made to the interior or exterior is rare. This is what you are looking for if you want to refurbish one as you are indicating. You know what you have and any changes from original layout should be mush easier. There are a number of very good threads in the "interior" section of the forum. The old interior pieces and appliance may not be worth much in dollars and cents, but as a source for parts for those on the list that may be looking for someting to fix or complete a project they are working on become invaluable. I have completelly refurbished the interior of my 1976 31" Sovereign over the past 9 years and I carefuuly removed cabinets, doors, appliances and other items that I was not going to re-use and then offered them to forum members at no cost other than the shipping cost. Although I could have sold some of these parts for a small amount of money I have gained much more in helping someone who needed a part that in some cases was just no longer available. Something to think about.

But before you get started on the interior and evne some of the exterior items let me be one of the first to say, start this project with your Running Gear. That's the Axles, brakes, shocks, tires, hitch, and 7 pin trailer/TV connection. If you plan on traveling you want to have your running gear in top condition. Go to the running gear section of the forums and start your research and ask questions.

Good luck and enjoy your Airstream project.

Don
1976 31' Sovereign.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I just looked at this post, and guess what? I was born in Merced at Castle AFB. My dad was a SAC trained killer, flying the boom of a KC97.

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Merced , California
We started gutting the trailer for refurb yesterday. Everything is going well, no big issues yet. All appliances are shot and will need replacing.

Question: Should I replace the furnace or can i go with a dual AC/Heater rooftop combo? Any downside to doing this? If so, what about the ductwork going into the floor. I am assuming they are to keep the water pipes and holding tanks from freezing?