Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Question 1974 Argosy Motorhome on CL - Hunka junk or interesting project?

I can do some interior work myself, but I don't know a thing about plumbing and mechanical stuff. What do you think about this lil guy? I like this model, but I'm scared it might be a rotting rust bucket. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I emailed the seller to arrange it.

It seems like there is less info out there about motorized models than trailers.

Airstream RV Food Truck, Must Sell, Make Offer

Thoughts?
Wendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, do you intend to make it back into an RV, or keep it as a vending truck?

At any rate, since if has been in use, it might not be too far gone. On the other hand , the 1973 trailer I bought almost three years ago is still in pieces as it required a shell-off, which started as a little sprucing up. You don't know unless you go check it out--just be sure you know what to look for in your inspection. Manage your expectations, the next owner of that machine will have to be part auto mechanic, part residential contractor, and part chef, if you want go use if as a vendor.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I'd be turning it back into an RV for personal use. I can do some interior stuff myself, hopefully preserve their wiring and plumbing, and i hope they're honest about the mechanical condition (that's far outside my abilities!), but body issues would be a huge expense, right? That is my biggest concern. D:
Thank you for the perspective!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I didn't see a price for it. What do they want for it, and how much for another one that is still a camper? Might be better to find one that hasn't been modified. My thought is that if it was still good enough to camp in, they wouldn't have changed it into a food truck. [kind of like if you find a nice old car, you would want to restore it, but if it was a non-operational rust bucket, you could butcher it and not feel bad]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
$5500 OBO. I have only seen one other listing for a similar model, it's in florida, has better exterior, complete but disassembled interior included, and "runs good" for $6500. Similar age 24' models seem to go for around $9k when they're in very good mechanical and interior shape - as in, ready to go adventuring immediately.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Two potential problems:

1) When a previous owner makes modifications to an RV, there is no telling how much work it will be to restore it to "camp-ability." For example, if they completely removed the bathroom and all associated plumbing, you will have a lot of work to do to replace all the missing facilities, tanks, plumbing, and drain system.

2) Don't depend on the honesty of an RV owner to keep you out of trouble. It's not because people are out to lie to you, it is just that many, MANY RV owners have no idea how bad of condition their rig is really in. Unless they have taken the time to thoroughly inspect the floor, for example, their assurances that there is no floor rot is based on the perception that the floor doesn't feel soft when they walk around on it.

The good news is that the current owners haven't made massive, difficult to correct mods to the body itself, ie., they haven't cut a big long window into one side to use as a serving window.

There are plenty of Forums members in the Austin Area, go to the Portal tab on the Forums, and look in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and you will see a utility for finding "inspectors" in your area. Have one of those folks go with you to look it over. They may not be able to foretell a failing transmission, but they will at least be able to estimate how big of a job it will be to convert the unit back to a a camper, and steer you away for a rotting floor.

To me, it looks like an interesting project, but this is a coming from a guy who sleeps with a rivet gun under his pillow, and is almost three years into a total rebuild--you may not be that person.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote