Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
1974 Argosy

I'm going to look at a 1974 Argosy this weekend and wondering if there are particulars of Argosy that I should look for.

The front furniture has been removed. Was this a Gaucho? Are there black, grey and Fresh tanks in an Argosy. Asking price is $4,500. Toilet not working and may need replacing. everyting else is said to work and was used recently.

Any tips?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A gaucho was standard, but a dinette was available as an option (my '75 Argosy24 has the dinette.)

A '75 Argosy has a (SMALL!) gray tank, a '73 does not. '74 Airstreams had gray tanks, so I think that's when they started in Argosy trailers as well. My tanks are 30 gal fresh, 12 gal black, 10 gal gray.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1974 Argosy

Greetings Sphere Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
I'm going to look at a 1974 Argosy this weekend and wondering if there are particulars of Argosy that I should look for.

The front furniture has been removed. Was this a Gaucho? Are there black, grey and Fresh tanks in an Argosy. Asking price is $4,500. Toilet not working and may need replacing. everyting else is said to work and was used recently.

Any tips?
Argosy coaches have most of the same peculiarities as similar-sized and aged Airstream coaches with these exceptions:
  • The front Panoramic widows are prone to damage particularly when not protected by a rock guard. Should one of these windows need replacing, be forewarned that new wing windows are only available in the modern tint utilized on current Airstreams. It is necessary to find a salvaged wing window unit if you want to maintain the clear windows.
  • The exterior front and rear domes are galvanized steel, and the juncture between the aluminum body and the galvanized end caps is a source of potential galvanic reaction and corrosion. These juncture seams should be examined for excessive corrosion.
  • LP tanks may be steel (standard) or aluminum (optional) in either case, the tanks were generally painted to match the color of the banana wraps and the tanks were often smaller than those found on similarly sized Airstreams.
Other than these three areas, Argosy coaches are little different from Airstream other than the typically lower level of options and accessorization along with upholstery that is more of a "middle-of-the-road" quality when compared to Airstream.

An Argosy coach can grow on you as its painted surfaces can be much easier to maintain than a polished Airstream.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I am not absolutely certain, but I believe that the gray water tank may have been optional in 1974 on the Argosy.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I believe that 1974 was the transition year to gray tanks for ALL RV's...

If it has both tanks the black tank should be 13, 17, or 20 depending on the layout and size. The gray tank being a miniscule, miserly 10 or 17 gallons. FWIW there are A LOT of thirsty racoons around here that like to drink gray water after dark

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Thanks all,

The owner's wife said her hubby did hook up a hose for the sink/ shower water, but doesn't know anything about the black tank or if there is one. And the toilet is "bad" ????

Overlander, thanks for the heads up on the end caps.
In one of the pics showing the front, the 2 bottles are a different color.
The front glass also looks good and with no rock protectors.

I've spotted what looks to be a 26'-28' Argosy close to my work as well, but the exterior is a dark tan and the upper 1/4 is almost black from scum, tires flat, etc... What a shame....
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Sphere - Good luck on your inspection trip!! Please share your photos.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Info

I have a '74 Argosy. It has a 30 gallon fresh water tank; a 10 gallon grey water tank; a 12 gallon black water tank.
The fresh water tank sets across the front of the trailer, the grey water tank is under the floor about 3 feet forward of the rear bumper; the black water tank sets above the floor under the platform that the toilet sets on. The toilet flange screws directly into the black water tank.
The dump valve for the black water tank is in the trunk forward of the rear bumper and the grey water dump valve is on the curb (left) side about 18" forward of the bumper.
My trailer had a gaucho when I bought it and the bath needed some work. I have pics on my blog of the changes I've made.
In my opinion $4500 seems high for what you describe. Do you know the length?
I paid $2200 for ours and currently have over $8,000 into it counting the purchase price. I'm looking at another $1100 for new axles. (someday)
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Thanks TG,

It's a 24 ftr and they are willing to negotiate a little.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Sid,
We have a 20' and a 24' Argosy. Love 'em both.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
I have a '78 Argosy 24T. These are great trailers, but one of the downsides is that they have usually been pestered by previous owners. I suggest a few things to do when looking at the trailer...

- Check that all electrics work - when plugged to shore power and when unplugged and running off the battery.

- Check all the appliances - fridge, water heater, stove, oven and furnace. DO they all work?

- Look under the trailer for any obvious issues - holes in the belly pan, damaged gas lines, etc.

- Do some research here on how to access the sate of the axles, brakes, hubs.

- Check for sub floor rot and water damage near the front fresh water tank and in the rear (if it has a rear bathroom).

- Look for any signs of the rear sagging - could be some rear end separation.

Most of the other stuff would be pretty obvious - general condition of the exterior and interior, locks, hinges, windows, etc.

Plan on spending some time and money to repair stuff that you find after the purchase.

I strongly recommend getting a rock screen for the front.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Well, I loooked at the 72 Argosy and it needed much more work than I want to do right now. The trailer was plugged in and the AC was very cold, the outer skin in good shape. The exterior was painted sometime recently.

Cons: rear bumper had scab exetension out of galvanized diamond plate to make a 2 ft bumper cargo. Floor was redone in laminate (not professional and not completly trimmed out.) Fridge was replaced w/ a 110 unit and cabinet modified to fit it. Converter not working. Belly pans sagging and un-rivited. Axles definetly bad. Front "Gaucho" gone along with the fresh water tank. Surburban heater not tested but had a ducted "Vent or Intake" pointed to the underside of the trailer. What is this? Also, there was some rear end separation, worse on the street side. Maybe that was why the scab extension was done in the 1st place. And they black tank valve was not working and way up under the rear extension. Toilet not working. Lastly, there were no rock guards for the front. Sorry I didn't get pics. but it's still available.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
My 76 came with a front gaucho, however I recently picked up a front dinette setup and will decide later in my buildup which will go in.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
1975 Argosy 28
Cuba , Missouri
Found a 1974 Argosy this past week in Arkansas. Drove down from MO to pick it up! We are loving it and have started the remodel. Appreciate all the free advice and feedback from those that have knowledge and experience. Alex
asteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Oakland , California
1974 Argosy

Hello -

New to the forum and Airstreams. We are very intrigued with a 22' 1974 Argosy (Back Door Floor Plan) in what looks to be in great cosmetic shape - especially the interior.

2 questions:

We are in SF Bay Area but the Argosy is in Florida - any tips on finding someone to do an in-person inspection for us?

We would want to repaint the exterior and there are numerous large dents - any estimates for this? I've read here that getting dents out of other Airstreams can run $10K+ - we would definitely need to factor that in to our purchase price.

Thanks!
Gather365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! If you click on the grey "Portal" tab at the top left, on the right edge of the page is a form where you can locate inspectors by state:

http://www.airforums.com/

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Oakland , California
Thanks Peter!

When I submit form I get a list of members. Are you saying those folks are also inspectors and I should just start with the one closest to the trailer?
Gather365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Check out this sticky topic:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

and this search filter form:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb....php?do=search

When I filtered for Florida and Trailer Inspection, I got the same list as before, using the form on the Portal page.

So . . . yes the results from using that Portal form seem to be already filtered, according to the state and inspection type.

News to me!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Yes start close to you, I guess, and look for someone with quite a few posts -- IMO -- as opposed to someone with just a few.
PS2 -- That search form has an Argosy choice I think.
PS3 -- I think you can click on the "Find" button next to someone's name, and see their posts. When you open up one of their posts, you can click on their name, and then send them a Private Message [PM] from the drop-down menu.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote