Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
huntingdon , Pennsylvania
1974 Airstream Sovereign 31' $6800?

i am looking at buying a 1974 airstream sovereign 31' the outside sheel is almost perfect except a dent some tried to fix in the curbside front corner probably from jacknifng... th einsid eis pretty good i thik the vents and vista view windows leak some but i guess that can be fixed pretty simple and it will need a new vent cover because someone put a peice of plexiglass on it..

my big question is i looked in the driverside wheel well and the body support from the frame was rusted out this was the only only one that i seen liek this but when i got home and did some reading about rear end sag i seen that it does have a black line going around the top of the bottom trim piece in the rear

this is a rear bedroom .. is the camper worth this much if i have to fix the frame and can you buy replacement pieces for this?

thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	204580   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	204581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	204582  
kokomoscalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If indeed it needs frame work, my first impression is that the price is a little high. What's visible around the snow does seem to be in very good shape, though. Test for rear separation by stepping on the back bumper and noting whether the bumper moves independently of the shell. If it does, note carefully the condition of the skin where the frame rails come through, the bumper bouncing around can beat up the shell there in addition to the other problems with rear separation.

Rear bedroom plans are easier to deal with than rear bath if you have to repair rear-end separation.

You should include new axles in your tally of costs to make this a good traveling machine again, unless the seller can show that they've been replaced recently, or tests show you still have plenty of motion left in the ones on the trailer now.

Leaks are bad juju, especially in a trailer that's been stored outdoors. Carefully check the condition of the subfloor. It's very common for a trailer the age of this one to need floor repair.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
axles

where is the best place to purchase axles and how much do they usually run?

thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomoscalls View Post
where is the best place to purchase axles and how much do they usually run?

thanks
Now you're asking religious questions...

I think a pair of torsion axles with electric brakes generally runs $1500-$2000 (that's new drums, bearings, brakes, etc.) There are a couple of forums members who sell a lot of axles to the community, Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations (on your side of the country) and Inland RV (on the other side of the country). They sell different brands.

My own axles on the 24' trailer are made by Rockwell American and sourced from Redneck Trailer Supplies, which has a location not too far from you in Carlisle, PA. If you go that route, the measurement of the axles and selection of mounting brackets is quite specific and the axles won't come with shock mounts, so that's not a simple solo project the first time around.

In any event, one of the aforementioned vendors can have the axles drop-shipped to Redneck Trailer Supplies, I think, and potentially save you some shipping. That's an impression I have from reading the forums too much, I don't know that last bit with certainty.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
ok i will contact them ... if i can get the camper... i whould ask him if he would takre another 1k off the price.... he was asking 7500 and i said i could give him 6800 and he said yes... but the axles are definatly no good if the were never replaced correct?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
floor repair

also the floor was repaired in the front in just before the couch next to the curbside wall... i guess there was a hole rotted thru there ... but he fixed it by putting a picece of tin over the hole so it does give some there when i step on it

i didnt see any other soft spots around the perimeter but did see that there was some water damage ot the plywood just not soft yet
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
well i ended up getting this airstream for 5300 the there was no rear end seperation when i jumped on the rear bumper... the is just some roof leaks i need to fix and some other issues... there is still travel in the axles i will check them more when the weather clears
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
don't over stress about the axles. You will find many of us here that have chosen not to replace them....yet.
They will still roll on. Meanwhile you can take care of the other things the trailer needs to make it campable.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
5 Grand is a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomoscalls View Post
well i ended up getting this airstream for 5300 the there was no rear end seperation when i jumped on the rear bumper... the is just some roof leaks i need to fix and some other issues... there is still travel in the axles i will check them more when the weather clears
Good deal on the purchase. As AlanSD stated, the wheels will still roll, but you will have hardly any suspension travel - this means a really rough ride...

Most here agree that tires should be replaced about every 5 years or so. Don't try to pull it home with tires that are dry rotted.

Plan on pulling the belly pan to do a thorough inspection of the frame and cross members.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself right now is to spend days reading the various threads about rebuilds and hidden problems. Start with a search on floor rot, frame inspection, or rear end separation.

Good luck and school yourself with the information from the threads here in the forum.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
true Dennis. Just don't want to scare anyone about the axle issue. My 66 has original axles and it rides pretty well, I have left things out on the counter by mistake and found them still there when we arrived. Not a good idea though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign