Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
27" 1977 Overlander

1977 27' Overlander
North Vancouver , British Columbia
1974 Airstream 25' Land Yacht Travel Trailer - $18000

this is too much right? Canadian.... Tandem axel double - floor plan is available upon request
- Excellent condition
- new upholstery
- new hot water heater
- new Univolt 12 DC Regulator
- new Tires (Including spare 5 total)
- all appliances including air conditioning in good working order
- was stored under cover during off season
- single owner, non-smoker
- asking price $ 18,000.00 Canadian (FOB North Vancouver

you advise would mean so much to me

thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
$18,000.00 CAN = 17,181.10 US
That is alot of money for a 74 Trade Wind.
It would have to be in perfect condition with many upgrades and a polish job to get close to that amount. I would expect it to have a new set of axels also. Do you have any pictures?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You really need to post this in the classified section of the Forums. That's where people go to look for an Airstream to buy. You'll need a lot of pictures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
You really need to post this in the classified section of the Forums. That's where people go to look for an Airstream to buy. You'll need a lot of pictures.

Don't think this person is selling. I think this is the trailer they are looking at buying and want to know if it is over priced.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Way over priced unless it's in showroom new condition. You could buy a nice mid 90's for that or less.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Well, if was MY Trade Wind, Id say it was a bargin . But for a 70s unit?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I paid half that for my 1983 34' Excella. Hail damage, but otherwise in greate condition.

Vaughan
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Remember -- "Let the buyer beware." You'll want to be sure that you and the seller have the same idea about what "excellent and good condition" really mean.

We trusted an eBay seller's words and photos since the Airstream we purchased this past May was several states away. We knew there would be some pleasant surprises and also some "gotcha's." We're still trying to decide if the pleasant surprises are outweighing the "gotcha's." Thank goodness for the AIRForum as we research and resolve the "gotcha's."

We strongly recommend that you actually see and touch the Airstream before you decide to purchase it. $18,000 Canadian Dollars is a lot and yes, the Airstream should be in pristine, perfect condition structurally and cosmetically for that amount of money. Based on our very recent experience, here are some things to check out (that caught us offguard as first-timers):

Do take something like an icepick to the floor to test its integrity (an AIRForum member suggested that) -- even if the seller says the floor is solid, test it yourself. We were told that we had a structurally solid floor in our 1974 29 ft rear bath Airstream. As we cleaned out the bumper storage, we began to see just how bad things were. The floor was rotted and deteriorated over most of the rear bath. It is now gutted and we're in the process of replacing the floor. The sink drain had a slow leak and water had intruded into other parts of the frame through the bumper.

Look behind and beyond things that can mask damage. For example, make sure the bumper storage isn't full of hoses, carpet, etc. that can conceal rust and deterioration. Ask about any "plates" you see fastened to the outside of the trailer. Some plates may be cosmetically concealing dents and dings. You'll want to know what caused the dents and dings and more importantly, whether other damage occurred to the frame during the dent/ding event.

Check underneath the trailer -- particularly in the back if you have a rear bath. Do you see "extra" stuff under there. For example, angles added to reinforce sags that have already occurred but don't fix the sag.

Carefully look at windows, doors, hatches, lights inside and outside of the trailer. If something looks off or repaired, then ask what the story is behind it. What needed to be done and why. As you're looking at windows, vents and doors, look for evidence of leaks (streaks, drip/water trails) and ask about them. Check the sealant around the windows and vents. Sealant should be fresh and viable, not dry and pulled away from the channels.

Open and close the windows and operate all the vents (like fan/air vents). If you have a vent/filter over the range that needs cleaning or changing, actually take out the filter and put it back in. We've discovered our filter is jammed in and we're still trying to figure out how to get it out without damaging the frame. Since our current focus is on rebuilding the bathroom, the filter issue has a low priority.

Ask the seller what they have done to "get the Airstream ready to sell." Have they repaired things and resolved "root causes" or just spray painted rust and blemishes cosmetically with paint so it looks like it is in "excellent" condition?

Ask what lights, gaskets, seals have recently been replaced so you can have a sense for what you'll need to do and when. Replacing 30+ year old gaskets, seals and lightbulbs can be daunting and just finding the parts can be time consuming.

Actually run the different "systems" like air conditioning and heat yourself. Be especially cautious about concealed or hidden leaks in the plumbing and waste system if you don't have the opportunity to fill the various tanks and let them sit to see if any leaks show up.

Check the propane tanks to make sure they meet code. One of ours does, one doesn't. Check the awning to make sure it is the brand the seller says it is. Ask the seller what they would replace in the Airstream and the timing for the replacements -- if they were to keep it. (Again, though, "Let the buyer beware.") Also, the simple question, "Why are you selling?"

You are the best judge of how much risk you're willing to assume. In our case, we feel strongly that our Airstream has great potential and that we will have it for a long time. We are spending more dollars than we planned on basics to get it to the point we want. In hindsight, we would not have paid the dollars we did for it ($8,000 - $9,000) and would have been better prepared for the realization that we won't do a lot of camping this season. But, oh my goodness, our Airstream will be nice when we're all finished.

Good luck with your decision. You're already on the right track by relying on the forum for guidance.

maccamper
Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I saw that advertisement the other day. I'm in North Vancouver as well. I got my 1972 Tradewind for less than half that amount and mine is in excellent condition!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
27" 1977 Overlander

1977 27' Overlander
Many many thanks guys...

I want make sure i get my $$$'s worth.

Thank you so much for your imput/time

I will pay it forward some day!

sharene
Old 07-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Coombs , BC
1974 Tradewind

Hi there, we bought the North Vancouver A irstream that you have posted here, we purchased it for $12,500.00 canadian. We feel that it was a good deal for the price as it is in excellent condition, and very well maintained by the original owner who happened to be a really nice guy. Look forward to learning more from all you experts in the coming years. Cheers James & Fran.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines
Hi there, we bought the North Vancouver A irstream that you have posted here, we purchased it for $12,500.00 canadian. We feel that it was a good deal for the price as it is in excellent condition, and very well maintained by the original owner who happened to be a really nice guy. Look forward to learning more from all you experts in the coming years. Cheers James & Fran.
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post pics of your new trailer. Perhaps I'll pass by you one day on my way to the family cottage in Ukie!

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote