Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
mount gilead , North Carolina
1974 31' International

I just bought a 1974 Airstream International 31'.I bought it for $1500.00.It is mostly original and in pretty good shape.The exterior has maybe a minor dent or ding but other than that it is in great shape. The interior is original exept for the window shades and floor covering.Someone removed some of the curtains and installed blinds and the carpet has been removed and the guy installed laminate flooring. The curtains that are left are in bad condition. The refer is missing and the 12v converter is bad. I plan to put some good money in this thing if it is worth it.Just curious if I got a good deal and maybe how much it will be worth when repaired.Will it be worth more if it is kept original or can I install a updated fridge,countertop laminate,curtains,ect. to freshen it up a little. the trailer also has the original steel wheels with original hubcaps.I want to install new polished aluminum wheels.Would this hurt the value also? Any help or advise would be appreciated.Thanks
nmoye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
You can do any thing you damm well please to it.
Your purchase price was fine. If you do quality refurb then you could expect it to top out at about 8500 to 10 grand if really primo and documented repair.
It is certainly not the most desirable size and year for someone looking to invest in a refurbished one.
But it is more desirable for folks like you who want a big one to tinker with as you are getting ready to do.
It's greatest value would be in you doing most o he

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoye1 View Post
I just bought a 1974 Airstream International 31'.I bought it for $1500.00.It is mostly original and in pretty good shape.The exterior has maybe a minor dent or ding but other than that it is in great shape. The interior is original exept for the window shades and floor covering.Someone removed some of the curtains and installed blinds and the carpet has been removed and the guy installed laminate flooring. The curtains that are left are in bad condition. The refer is missing and the 12v converter is bad. I plan to put some good money in this thing if it is worth it.Just curious if I got a good deal and maybe how much it will be worth when repaired.Will it be worth more if it is kept original or can I install a updated fridge,countertop laminate,curtains,ect. to freshen it up a little. the trailer also has the original steel wheels with original hubcaps.I want to install new polished aluminum wheels.Would this hurt the value also? Any help or advise would be appreciated.Thanks
Before you spend any money on the coach, you should make a punch list of everything that it needs, and prepare 2 budgets.

The first budget is for the money you will spend, and the second budget is for the time you will spend.

Check things such as all the exterior gaskets, the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last 2 to 3 years, missing interior and exterior rivets, overhauling the furnace and water heater, any underbelly problems, rear end separation, axle condition, sealing the exterior of the stack and vista view windows, LPG leaks, both 12 volt DC ans 120 volt AC functions, the AC, entrance door lock striker bolt and striker pocket, etc.

The beginning should always be to make the trailer weather proof. Then you can work on other things as your 2 budgets allow.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote