Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Defiance , Missouri
1973 Airstream overlander 28 ft -- to buy it or not to buy it???

thinking of buying a 1973 Airstream overlander 28 ft -- $3000 -- current owners bought it for $3500 last year with the intent to rehab but say they have had a job transfer and now have no time to work on it -- we hope to buy a brand new airstream someday and we are not do-it-yourselfers but our son says perhaps we should tackle this as a trial for owning our first airstream -- any checkpoints before we buy and best resources for after -- will probably gut it -- want to run electric for computers and satellite -- we don't feel compelled to get away from it all when RVing! :-) --diane
dialdefiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
pensacola , Florida
Hello Diane.
We purchased a 73 EXCELLA for $2000 and have spent another $2000 on parts with me doing all the work. Electrical,propane,toliet,plumbing,all had lots of problems. It has been a blast working on it. 3 sounds high if it needs a lot of work. Alot of the problems will be hidden. Offer 2
Chris
Pensacola
shipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
A '74 which has a grey water tank I might consider 3000 .
A '73 which has no grey tank I would not.
I'd say 2000 as did shipoke above, but if I was the seller into it for 3500 I probably would not take less than 2500.
Unless there are other circumstances & amenities that are very good to outstanding I would never go for anything older than a '74.
Gutting an Airstream completely is not to be taken lightly nor is it for the weak of heart (and patience). You must have some DIY (actually plenty) ability or you will pay, pay, pay a heavy and high price for help.
There are lots of 31 & 29 footers out there in the '74 & up age groups.
If you buy and gut and then give up, you will most likely not recoup half of your investment.
Sorry.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Defiance , Missouri
thanks

thanks so much for the feedback... now we are switching gears and looking at an Airstream motor home. decisions, decisions :-)
dialdefiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Have had both

If you are serious about an Airstream MH, plan to spend a bunch more for restore and maintenance then a TT. Even when they look good, there is a bunch more to go wrong with a classic MH then a classic TT. Don't get me wrong I love my 89' 345, but not a cheep alternative! Great to travel in!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdefiance View Post
thanks so much for the feedback... now we are switching gears and looking at an Airstream motor home. decisions, decisions :-)
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ues-66664.html

Check this out:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote