Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
Well he wouldn't budge on the price, but I think that was a blessing. I was literally vibrating after a 2 hour trip and then I laid my eyes on an actual Overlander in person... very exciting. They were very nice and gave me the tour even though I didn't have the amount of money he wanted, and apparently somebody did end up bidding $5,750 on ebay... we'll see if they pay though, he's going to keep me in mind if he's unable to sell it at his price.

His reasoning for the price was that he bought it at $7k ten years ago, and since then he's replaced a lot of the electrical system, the air conditioner, and the brakes. Plus sentimental value, he doesn't want to sell it but they need the money and they're building a tiny house trailer so eventually it will be unnecessary. He never used the plumbing or propane because he always camped at state parks that had showers and toilets, and he never used it as a fully-fleshed out camper, just as an air conditioned room, basically.

I got a couple good angles of the frame's rust levels, I'm going to make another post with pictures in it of the major points of my "inspection". The only thing he didn't really mention in his ad is that the fridge never worked for the entire 10 years he had the thing. He tried to fix it but was unsuccessful.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida

The side of the trailer, pretty straight, just a bit of wave near the end. When we hopped around in the trailer most of the floor was pretty solid except near the very outside edges where the subfloor was dry-rotted.

You can see how grody the linoleum is on the edges, the floor was a bit sunken there. Which made sense when you looked behind the bathroom in the storage compartment...

Ick. From that compartment you could see a tiny bit of the rusty frame, but you can also see the new electric box he put in.

RUST. The frame itself was pitted and while it may not have needed a shell off fix, the belly definitely would have needed to come off, the bathroom and a lot of the furniture would need to come out to fix the subfloor... etc etc.

I got this image of the frame in the front left corner of the trailer through a small hole underneath where the fridge was supposed to be. I couldn't see anything but when I did a flash picture with my phone with the lens stuck through the hole, it revealed a bigger chunk of the frame than I thought it would. I was concerned how in some bits the rust has eaten a really rough edge all along. It would have needed rust removal to see how extensive the damage was, and possibly some reinforcing and welding to strengthen it.

The hole that gave me that angle:

The flash didn't go as far as I wanted, but the axels were very straight, the tires weren't aged at all, very good condition for 10+ years old. The brakes were redone. You can see how the unused propane line is kind of dangling in some bits, more than half of the brackets holding it up were broken. I probably would have just replaced it all after fixing the frame.

Then of course all the things that just would have needed fixing up... this trailer would have been a labor of love for sure. But if he had been entertaining 3.5-4k, I would have been extremely tempted. The new AC, brakes, and working electric were all great, but didn't really make up for how much the trailer had degraded in 10 years and how much work it really needed doing. I might have tried to scrounge up more money for it if it were in surprisingly good shape, but not knowing if the plumbing worked, and KNOWING that the propane and fridge would have to be replaced, and probably the frame reinforced? $$$!!!

It was a very fun experience to see the layout and build of the trailer in person, finally! There are a few things that I just wasn't sure how they worked and I know better now what to ask buyers when I contact the ones in other states. So here's to hoping I find my baby soon!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
No.no.no.no. You can expect to add five to ten thousand to the purchase price. There are much better deals out there for less money.a new fridge is $1200 and up. Never tested the plumbing? Horse hockey. No propane tanks? Why? Find one you can see everything work in for around five thousand, then you'll have something with good bones. I laud your willingness to roll up your sleeves and go to work, but get something that's worth the effort.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You must have been posting while I was writing. Axles may look straight, but it isn't the exterior of these that go bad, it's the rubber inside of them. Also, the floor is is sinking most likely due to rot from water incursion. Next time take an ice pick or sharp screwdriver and poke the floor as close to the interior wall as you can get. That is where the issues are right between the inner and outer wall.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I paid a lot less for mine which was in very filthy dirty condition with some minor frame issues and floor rot. Non working fridge and bad plumbing. But it took more elbow grease than cash to get it straight and we have been enjoying it for 3+ years.
This was a good learning experience for you. There are a lot of very negative buyers on this Forum so take advice.....carefully
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Good 1st Impressions.................

The first look at a prospective purchase (on anything) is "buyer beware"! That being said if you looked at the sides of the trailer and saw a wavy section behind the axle/wheel wells it is a sign of a few issues in itself. The axles are worn and need to be replaced. That is not a bad investment on a used trailer purchase as the improved ride and less vibration from road imperfections would be noticed right away and would most definitely keep your trailer from shaking apart. The other thing to look at whenever you see a wave in the skin is if the trailer has rear end separation caused mainly because of rear floor rot which seems apparent in your pics of the service center and stained linoleum with soft spots in the area. This was definitely a good learning experience for you! Keep looking and you will find your trailer! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I paid a lot less for mine which was in very filthy dirty condition with some minor frame issues and floor rot. Non working fridge and bad plumbing. But it took more elbow grease than cash to get it straight and we have been enjoying it for 3+ years.
This was a good learning experience for you. There are a lot of very negative buyers on this Forum so take advice.....carefully
ABSOLUTELY if this guy had gone down to half of his asking price, it might have been worth considering. But at the price he wants? The sentimental value to him means nothing to me when it comes to what the trailer is worth. A newer AC and brakes mean I don't have to replace those, yes... but there are a thousand other things I would have had to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
The first look at a prospective purchase (on anything) is "buyer beware"! That being said if you looked at the sides of the trailer and saw a wavy section behind the axle/wheel wells it is a sign of a few issues in itself. The axles are worn and need to be replaced. That is not a bad investment on a used trailer purchase as the improved ride and less vibration from road imperfections would be noticed right away and would most definitely keep your trailer from shaking apart. The other thing to look at whenever you see a wave in the skin is if the trailer has rear end separation caused mainly because of rear floor rot which seems apparent in your pics of the service center and stained linoleum with soft spots in the area. This was definitely a good learning experience for you! Keep looking and you will find your trailer! Ed
It was a very informative first inspection! And yeah I wouldn't mind replacing axels, it's the frame I'm worried about. My number one priority is AVOIDING a shell-off restoration. Which I know is harder to find, but for my first trailer? Worth it.

I'm glad the first trailer I went to see was "out of my price range", and it did get a bid on ebay - that doesn't mean he'll actually get the money for it though. It's easy to say no to something you don't have the money for, and it was a relatively short drive for a trailer I probably wasn't going to purchase anyway.

Tags