Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Helena , Montana
1968? Globetrotter 19

Ahoy, I am currently looking at a 1968 Globetrotter that has been sitting for a number of years. The exterior body skins are in good shape--one small dent near the front window and the door needs new seals and the door knob does not work. Underside look OK---vent on top need some work. The interior is in poor shape as mice have been in the camper. The asking price is $2500 and I figure it would take a couple thousand on the interior to make it a nice camper. Are replacement parts available for an old camper like this? What do you think of the price?
QUARTET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Read this. then print to use as reference...
It will help
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pensacola , Florida
We are in the final stages of a restoration of our 1967 Caravel- FYI, check the floor, especially the rear, very closely, then figure the costs of redoing the inside and outside. Multiply X2 unless you are sure of your skills and price of supplies. There are so many great helpmates on this forum, and if you can't find the original part to fix the problem, there are lots of alternatives. We spent more than planned, but we could not be happier with what we now have. Good luck, and keep us informed!!!
quiltbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I spent 2 years working on my 68 Trade Wind that only needed a few things done-I thought when I bought it. What happens is that when you start fixing things, like the vent that needs work=floor rot under it one thing leads to another. It comes down to fixing everything since you have to take it part to fix a few things and you only want to do that once. The trailer you are looking at may be in good shape but you will almost certainly need an axle, tires, spare,battery, new converter, heater (don't count on the old NT-22 working), fridge, foam, upholstery, curtains and on and on. I am not in any way being negative, I just want you to understand that to really make an old trailer nice you have to spend a lot of time and money. I say that however much time you think you will spend fixing it- multiply x4 and money x3. I would not take anything for the experience of fixing my 68 and the wonderful friends I made here on the forum who helped me through the process, but it did take much longer and a lot more money than I ever dreamed. I paid $2500 for my TW 3 years ago so that is probably a fair price for the Caravel.
Good luck and if you have any 68 specific questions feel free to PM me.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
First off, Is it a good fit for the style of camping that you will do? This is important because after you devote years of unrecoverable time and wheelbarrow loads of cash, you don't want to find it to be too small.

"QUARTET" sounds like four people.

The GT was designed to accommodate four, but that's just a marketing ploy. If you toss the side gaucho and build a dinette in it's place, they're perfect for two. The original dining configuration is just plain stupid.

67/68 GTs are really cool, because they're considered a small Airstream, and had one of the best ever bath full configurations. At less than 3000# they can be towed by nearly anything that weighs 4000# and 200hp. Mine tows beautifully behind a Dodge caravan.

$2500 is a fair price for what you have to consider to be a "rebuildable core". I paid $5,500 for my rebuildable core, and I'd do it again. In fact, I love mine so much that I'd consider buying the one you're looking at if you don't want it... Last year of the narrow body and wood interior. They're great "campers".

Unless it is a remarkably unusual deal you can plan on having another $10,000 into it as it approaches its "finished" condition. Truthfully, they are never finished, even if you buy a new one from the factory.

No matter how many times you scour the interior with anti-stink products, on warm days it will always have "Eau du Ro"(dent) smell unless you remove the interior skins and freshen the insulation. Expect a 30gal shop-vac full of acorns, walnuts, hickory nuts, pine cones, etc. between the floor and bellypan, maybe a raccoon skeleton or two.

Figure shell-off restoration with newly fabricated frame as your worst case scenario.. Get a good look at the frame before you buy or assume it is bad.

If you love tools, are a patient and good natured individual who can find enjoyment in the restoration process, definitely go for it.

Like many others, there are few things that I'd rather be doing than fixing up my trailer. If that doesn't sound like you, move on to something more manageable...

In another recent post, someone asks "Where is an Airstream's soul located??"... That's easy, IT'S IN YOUR CHECKBOOK.

There is a faction of Airstream restoration purists, and that is a much needed and commendable avenue, but most of us want to make them "Our Own", so make it "Yours", and you won't worry much about finding all those old odd parts.

Link to my GT...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post985717

Peace, Wm

P.S. Please regard these comments prefaced with a polite "in my opinion"
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Helena , Montana
Globetrotter

Ahoy all, Thanks so much for the comments. This has helped me decide not to purchase the camper. Mainly---I don't have time to refurbish it and would, at least at this juncture, rather go camping with my family vs work on an old camper while they watch from within the house. Later, after my boys are grown, I'd like to refurbish an airstream. So back to a camper quest---I own 5 acres in a beautiful mountain setting in the mountains in Montana and have a 4 thousand sq ft barn and some other outbuildings on my land. I am looking for a camper that is easy to heat so we can use it in the winter when we go sledding etc. The other option is to build a cabin but I thought a gook camper might work for us also. Does anyone have advice on campers that can are easy to heat in the winter. Again, Thanks for the advice. Quartet
Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

mount Shasta , California
Just what i am looking for. Will you please post this guys add?

Thanks
Caleb
calebderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

Helena , Montana
Airstream

He couldn't find the title because it was a friend of his dads that worked on the ranch. When the friend died the Airstream was left at the ranch but the widow is still alive. He did have a dozen people interested so I'm sure he sold it.

Tags