Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
1966 Tradewind 24'

Just looked at a '66 Tradewind today. Twenty four feet in length. Asking price is $5000. This is the first one we have looked at and I don't want to make a $5000 mistake but don't want to miss a good deal either. Here is some key info - partial floor replacement at door, new vinyl flooring, original cabinetry with some modifications for speakers etc, replacement toilet, new refrigerator. Air, furnace, plumbing, water pump, hot water heater, lights (some aftermarket) all work, some catches for cabinet doors missing, all plastic trays in place and good condition, counter tops fair. Cook top works, not sure about oven. Upholstery and curtains serviceable but could be updated. Has sway bars, towing mirrors, hitch, jack levelers, new propane tanks, spare, tires are good. One window is plexiglass. Small dent in upper rear, replacement marker lights. No visible leaks in tanks. Underbelly intact and undamaged. No hubcaps. Seems as if it has normal wear and tear not significant abuse.

One big question - appears that one panel on upper roof has been removed/replaced with nonoriginal rivets????

What is it worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
The replacement panel with non-original rivets may be an issue to consider. My Tradewind had a new front segment replaced at one time and there were leaks around many of the rivets. Look under the couches and cabinets to check for a water damaged floor.
Take a good look at the bathroom too. Many have soft spots from leaking toilets, plumbing and rear access doors.
Additionally take a look at Vintage Airstream’s Price vs Condition page. Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values Lots of good info. See if anything there applies to that trailer and adjust your price accordingly.
Good luck,

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
Just looked at a '66 Tradewind today. Twenty four feet in length. Asking price is $5000. This is the first one we have looked at and I don't want to make a $5000 mistake but don't want to miss a good deal either. Here is some key info - partial floor replacement at door, new vinyl flooring, original cabinetry with some modifications for speakers etc, replacement toilet, new refrigerator. Air, furnace, plumbing, water pump, hot water heater, lights (some aftermarket) all work, some catches for cabinet doors missing, all plastic trays in place and good condition, counter tops fair. Cook top works, not sure about oven. Upholstery and curtains serviceable but could be updated. Has sway bars, towing mirrors, hitch, jack levelers, new propane tanks, spare, tires are good. One window is plexiglass. Small dent in upper rear, replacement marker lights. No visible leaks in tanks. Underbelly intact and undamaged. No hubcaps. Seems as if it has normal wear and tear not significant abuse.

One big question - appears that one panel on upper roof has been removed/replaced with nonoriginal rivets????

What is it worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A big question is the condition of the axles.

Normally, torsion axles of that vintage 20 years or so, with continued use.

Being parked for a long time, is a real hazard to the rubber rods within the axle.

If they need replacing, your looking at $1500 to $2000, by the time it's done.

You say a sheet metal panel has been replace with non original rivets. In the absence of a photo, if the panel looks ok, and, does not leak, then perhaps it's ok. If not, a segment averages about $1000.00 each to replace.

Frankly, to me, I think if the coach was first class, then that price is at the top. Subtract things that you know are wrong, and make your offer.

Being informed, before the purchase of a used Airstream, far more than not, saves a person money and headaches.

Andy
Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Welcome

Without pictures kinda hard to tell what it looks like. Pictures help everybody tell how it sits, roof rivets look, size of dent, etc. Most that I have seen have gone for $5 to $6K with some upgrades, some have been gotten for $500 to $1200 but needed extensive work. How much do you love it? Can you drop another $1000 to $3000 into it if need be, not that it would need anything but it could.

Good Luck John
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Thanks for your responses. Here's the patch??
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
NOT! The quality of that repair looks poor. I would think twice on this one. That "new" floor covering covers alot of problem areas. Original AC and fridg...I guarantee they are on their last legs. Side window is an expensive Corning type....ouch.
You can do better.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Arroyo Grande , California
take the hi road

Ive been down the same path and would recommend having the axles replaced. Although the AS manual will state that the "torsion axles are manufactured to last the life of the trailer", 43 year old rubber will likely not provide the needed flexibility/support to secure contents and provide a safe towing experience.
If you have limited experience or knowledge of vintage trailers and are ready to make a purchase I would suggest having a qualified individual inspect the trailer prior to making your final decision on whether to buy and/or a fair price to offer.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
HippieChick!

Really need to see more pics on here, a pic is worth a thousand words, take pics of the side exterior, also post pics of interior. I have the exact same Tradewind, go to the registry and see my pics. I can tell you mine was and still is in super shape, and polished to boot. When you pay $5000 expect to put a lot more into it, $5000 IMHO is a "fixer upper", but dont get discouraged, you can start here and put time and sweat into it if you really love her! Did you get the feeling that she was the one when you saw her? Thats usually when you know, it just feels right.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
sweet!

here's an optimistic opinion... after I read your post, my initial opinion was "that's a deal".

This year, I bought a similar vintage model for about half the asking price of yours but I'm still missing a fridge, a furnace, propane tanks, and I had to replace a countertop, flooring, plumbing - the list goes on. I've spent upwards of $3K and many weekend and week-night hours, which makes mine more costly than yours and like I said I'm still missing the fridge, furnace, and propane tanks. I didn't have to deal with the torsion axle dilemma since mine has the old-school straight axle.

My point? Sounds like your trailer is at a good starting point. No major jobs necessary, apart from perhaps replacing the axle (was it ever replaced?). That roof panel wouldn't deter me at all cosmetically. If it's leaking then you should figure out how extensive the damage is. Caulk works wonders. That panel gives it character. You can always hide it with a kick-ass solar panel. Does it rain in Kentucky? I guess you have all that pretty blue grass, so probably yes.

I digress. My point is, you probably can't get one much cheaper in the same condition - the owner is probably losing money or breaking even. The 60s model Tradewinds are fan-damn-tastic and I love them. It's a buyer's market though, see if you can talk the guy down on price now that you know about the torsion axle situation.

Wouldn't hurt to have one of these helpful gurus check it out either.

Stay far out, hippie chick.

p.s. check the water tanks. If it's the original steel one, it could be rusty on the inside. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We bought our '66 4 1/2 years ago for more than 5k. After looking at many 60s rigs 5k was about right then. However, we have done most all the replacements the one you are looking at including rear bath floor replacement. AXLES, don't kid yourself...44 year old axles will not be good. Ours 'looked' good but when I lifted the wheels they did not drop down. Replaced them myself 'with help' from Andy.
Oh, that panel patch doesn't look good. Replacement Corning windows are available but pricey. Your call......
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
Thanks for your responses. Here's the patch??

That's a patch that only a mother could love.

As everyone has said it all depends on what has and has not been recently replaced and what this one needs. Retail prices can add up quickly and it depends on your take on creature comforts. Some still camp in a gutted airstream with a cooler, fan, blow up bed, and a couple gallons of water to drink or rinse their hands. Most campgrounds have shower facilities and toidies so you can be campin ala bare stream. You may not tow the stream more than 50 miles, would I put a new axle on it, only if it's not safe to tow.

If everything works and slowly needs replacement and that works for you then that's a concideration. But $5000 with a repair like that is steap, there's only so much mystic in a vintage when what you see is kinda funky to start with.

Good Luck
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Sounds like way to much money to me. As stated by several others, count on axles. Count of a lot of other stuff too. There will be issues, leaks etc. You will need tires, the window, if it is a curved one, is very expensive. Also consider the time you have to work on the trailer. However much time you think it will take, multiply times 4! I am not kidding. And that estimate is if you are good mechanic, carpenter,plumber and metal worker. My Trade Wind is a labor of love, cause there is not way I'd work as many hours if I didn't. Conclusion, if you buy it for 5K plan on another 5K, minimum, before you have it really ready and think about your time (100's of hours). If you want to go camping soon, find a newer trailer and pay 10-12 and have fun. You will have close to that much in the Trade Wind when all is said and done. If you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, the have at it. It is very satisfying to bring an old Airstream back from the brink but it is a lot of work.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Wanted to post more pics but left camera at a friend's house. Gheez. Anyway, spoke to seller last night. Going tomorrow to reinspect if possible. Made an offer of $4000. He is considering. Thanks for all the advice.
One more question. Think I can tow it with my 66 VW bus? Just kidding.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Arroyo Grande , California
tow vehicle?

What do you plan to tow with? (pardon me if you've already stated this in the thread somewhere)

Ironically, I ended up with an AS as a result of the family outgrowing our Westfalia.

I am a third generation VW enthusiast and I have been 5 years now without one in the driveway.

Tell me more about your Kombi!
here is a link to my Trade Wind: Picasa Web Albums - Nate - 1967 Airstrea...

Tags
1966, price, purchase, tradewind