Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
That's good to hear for those of us that already have one. My pricing is from my own experience when purchasing about 2 year ago, so maybe things have gone up a little since then, but 16k still looks a little high to me. If that's true I should be looking at a 20k - 30k trailer when mine is finished. Not that I would sell it.

I was thinking the same thing about my 66 after seeing what they are selling for now. I feel so lucky to have got mine about 6 years ago for much less than they are sell for now. I had to do only minor repairs and some updating to mine. New water heater, some plumbing, new axle and polishing. I think the price of them are still going up. All small vintage trailers\ SOB are very hot now. I recently sold a 68 13 Scotty for $5500 that was 3 times what I paid for it 7 years ago. Saying all this paying top dollar now may seen like a deal in a few years

As Found 2007

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fact.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	214071

Name:	66 Caraval inside looking front.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	214072

Now 2014

Name:	DSC_0078.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	214073

Name:   DSC_2711.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  19.5 KB

Ace in PA

Living The Airstream Dream

aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
sonora , California
Looks identical inside to my '66 Caravel. Only the reefer is missing, and it's an easy replacement (same basic size) for under $800. All else looks good, tho i'd look close for water damage under the bath sink and where the original water inlet (hose connection) was placed (I moved mine outside, below). Not sure what the hole is above the access door (which has been replaced, I note). Check the axle - i.e., have a dealer check it, and the brakes. Price? $15K is average for this vintage. Polish job is a nice extra.

sierratony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
they are asking too much. if everything was working and tested, it would be a 16k trailer. "not tested" means it dosen't work right now. This is a $10-$12k trailer as it stands.

Also, doing the first cut on a 'polish job' takes about a day. to finish it takes about 2 weeks.
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I am going to give my opinion but take it as that as others have said there are indicators that problems are there hidden under the stick on floor! 16k is way too much for a polished turd so you will have to be deaf and pay attention to details because 1. The staining in the cabinets show some lack of care and the shot of the belly pan towards the back screams leak, rust or busted belly pan! There are sites that show prices of 29 to 33k for a finished professionally done caravel. So a little bondo and a cheap coat of paint or polish and there she is a pot of gold! Okay it may be a pot or a money pit! Look under the sink and probe with a key or screw driver and watch the sellers reaction to your inspection! No he probably will not let it go cheaper (his pot of gold and pt Barnum) if you don't the next guy will lose his money! If the floor is soft or there are holes then you would be in deeper then you say that you want to be! Do some looking and buy smart and yes just my opinion.
Thanks for reading
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
1966 17' Caravel
Waterlo , Iowa
Thanks so much for everyone's responses here. I have passed on this particular trailer. But will be keeping my eyes out for another option.
66caravel_ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
Look in the little door in the bathroom, at where the back wall meets the floor, almost all have the floor rotted out there. All. I saw this one on ebay, too, I passed. The wheels and tires are too small also. Check behind the wheels in the wheel wells, usually there is damage to the outrigger there from tire blowouts. A/C is nice but these trailers really aren't built for modern roof units, plus it devalues a sleek body style. Most likely the floor is ruined (unless it never saw rain, ever). Trailers of that vintage usually get renovated because of the floor. AS didn't seal the back of the trailer above the frame correctly and rain got in.
Jeepers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
It looks like the specific trailer in this post sold for $15,400. Checking ebay prices, it looks like most are selling for between $13,600 to 17,800. That is an increase from prices I remember seeing a couple of years ago. I think, some of the other examples within this price range would be better choices if I were looking for a project. This one needed too much for the pice sold, so your choice to let this one go was a good one. Keep looking and you will find the right one. When I was looking, the guy that sold me mine had two Caravels. One was listed on ebay. He was local and listed a phone number on his ebay listing. I called him about the one listed, but he was already arranging shipping on it and almost had it sold. If I remember the price was about $13k. He stated in the listing that he had another Caravel, so we talked about it. He stated that it wasn't in as good of condition, so it would be less expensive. I arranged to look at it. When I showed up I was able to see both trailers, because the good one was still being prepared to be shipped to an overseas buyer. That ebay trailer was about as perfect as I have seen. It had been stored in a barn for may years, still had good clear coat, original upholstery, solid floor etc. But, I wasn't prepared to pay that price for one, so I was not upset that it was already sold. What it did for me was show how that other one could look if restored back to original condition. We toured this ebay trailer and took lots of pictures. I bought the other one for quite a bit less than the ebay one and I caught it before the guy had a chance to mess it up with whatever cosmetic stuff he wanted to do to refresh it. It had some floor rot in the back that I could see, but the frame looked pretty good and it was pretty much original inside and out. I have had to do a lot of work to it and have been working on it for two years now, but I don't regret a thing. I have learned a lot here. I am not saying this is the way everybody should go, but it's not a bad way. Once I get mine finished I will be able to address almost any issue that comes up, because I have had it apart and put it back together again. I have not wanted to count every penny I have spent, but I may go back an try when it is finished. I estimate that the end cost will be about the same as that ebay one. So, the choice is to buy a great original example if you can find one, or one that has already had the work done for top dollar, or buy a cheaper one that needs some work. If you chose the later, you will know how the work is done. If you choose the pervious you better make sure the work was done correctly.

Good luck and have fun looking!
1965 Airstream Caravel, 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew, 2003 Miata Special Edition, 1993 Miata Black & Tan
Jewel65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
In June of 2012 there was a 66 caravel in nc that was listed as complete for 1500.00 so yes the prices have soared keep looking because they are out there!
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Prices were creeping up steadily until the recession hit, and then I think there were a couple years with prices staying a bit stagnant, but they seem to be creeping up again.

The top price I know of for a Caravel fully restored by a professional shop was $33k, and it was very well done, modernized, top quality work.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on prices, particularly if you have an 'agreed value' insurance policy. If an accident happens you don't want to find your 'agreed value' left you $10k short of finding a replacement in similar condition!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1966 17' Caravel
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The '65 Caravel on ebay I referenced brought $17K. Not polished, but used and maintained. Strikes me as a lot better deal than the one 66caravel_ia was looking at. Anyone want to bet that there still would be things a new owner would wind up tinkering with?
1978 Argosy 6 Metre Minuet
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Argonaut20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
Do a daily nationwide (using Daylister or another search engine) Craigslist search, I found four Caravels in the last month there alone. One I'm purchasing.

Jeepers! is offline   Reply With Quote

1966, caravel