Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
j_d

sidney , Ohio
1966 27' international

Greetings, I am going through the sticky to get a better idea of the worth of a trailer I am considering buying. I appreciate any opinions here. I have run a cross a 1966 international 27' (what the owner said and looks about right but I havent broke out the tape). the exterior looks decent with only the occaisional small ding and nothing major. the oven is missing and the after market ac doesnt work. The owner has also said the tail lights/electrical has issues. the floor is solid from what i can tell and while old, the interior is intact and seems decent. A couple of windows probably need replacing though. The tires look dubious but might air up for the short tow home. I have not been able to test any plumbing or interior electrical. It appears to have been sitting for sometime.

I think i can get it bought for $1,500 or maybe just a little more. Its not everything we would want but would be our first A. S. (and not a tent like i have now). Budget is an issue and updates can be done over time I just dont want to lose my shirt buying a piece of junk.

Any opinons are appreciated.
Josh

Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Josh,

There are many airstreamers very close to you that are active on these forums! I'm sure you could get them to give you an opinion.

The trailer you are describing sounds like it's gonna need a bunch of work (translate money). But, it's not too far from where I started. For starters you are looking at tires, brakes, and probably lights. That's what $400-$500?

Broken glass? I can't help you there. AC or oven is not needed right now. I'd really look good at that frame to be sure your getting a solid foundation. After that, things get nicer every year!

I don't think I'd go much over that $1,500.

I'd be glad to come help, but I'm out of state till at least Aug. 1

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
66 is great. The AC is a must...as far as I am concerned.....650 plus installation.
Oven....cheap and available.
Windows...66's are the most expensive around.....unique.
International interior woodwork...the best.
Tires and axles...ouch! But, you do get new brakes with the axles.
Propane system....at least OPD valves I am sure.
A new converter is on the required list too.
Check the tanks for cracks....alot of them are busted...and thats expensive too.
the list goes on.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
pressure test the plumbing.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_d View Post
Greetings, I am going through the sticky to get a better idea of the worth of a trailer I am considering buying. I appreciate any opinions here. I have run a cross a 1966 international 27' (what the owner said and looks about right but I havent broke out the tape). the exterior looks decent with only the occaisional small ding and nothing major. the oven is missing and the after market ac doesnt work. The owner has also said the tail lights/electrical has issues. the floor is solid from what i can tell and while old, the interior is intact and seems decent. A couple of windows probably need replacing though. The tires look dubious but might air up for the short tow home. I have not been able to test any plumbing or interior electrical. It appears to have been sitting for sometime.

I think i can get it bought for $1,500 or maybe just a little more. Its not everything we would want but would be our first A. S. (and not a tent like i have now). Budget is an issue and updates can be done over time I just dont want to lose my shirt buying a piece of junk.

Any opinons are appreciated.
Josh
Josh, If it is a 27 foot trailer it should say Ambassador near the entry door. The serial number plate is also located there. The window glass can be purchased from VintageTrailerSupply.com or InlandRV.com. They are not cheap but better than any other material to use for windows. (Think Leaks)! The AC is a must but you can use the trailer as an aluminum tent after the windows, running lights, emblems, rivets and seams are sealed. The running gear (axles/brakes) are a must after the floor/frames are solid. If you find any issues with the plumbing and electrical these too can be upgraded/repaired as time allows. Good exterior running lights to get it home helps... however, you can haul it short distances with a rear vehicle to guard the other drivers from the lack of lights on the trailer. (Just use a driver who knows your diving habits and the route you will be taking as they will have to serve as brake lights and turn signals for the trailer.) The propane system will need a thorough going over and make sure to test it and the water system for leaks when you get it level at home. The money... Hard to really say but if I read your post right $1500.00 is the very top end of what I would pay for it. As an International trim level trailer your wood interior should be in good shape and able to be cleaned up with little effort or replacing parts of it could run into $$. The interior lights and the power supply need to be checked out for proper operation. Most of the old AC/DC converters ( Univolt ) must bet replaced (even if they work) as the old ones tended to boil the battery to death. But of course that can be replaced down the road when you want interior 12 volt DC items like lights/fans to work. Taking it one small step at a time is a must. Enjoy it as you restore/update it. Post pictures and the Vin # here and we can let you know exactly what it is before you buy it. Good Luck! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags