Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mansfield , Texas
1959 Airstream

We went to look at a private sale airstream on Sunday. It turned out to be farther gone than we wanted to mess with. However, in chatting with the owner, he mentioned that a small auto dealer down the road had a 50 something airstream on their lot.

We drove down to look at it but as it was Sunday it was closed so there wasn't anyone there I could ask questions of. Someone drove by and said "Everything is open if you want to look at any of them" (this is a tiny town hehe.. so they do things the old fashioned way I guess). At any rate, we got in and looked it over a bit. We snapped as many pictures as we could inside during the 100+ degree weather and I probed around a little. EDIT: Dealer said it is a 1959

Here are the pictures we took... hopefully some of them will tell more of the story than I know to at this time (just getting into airstreams):

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

We are looking for something to be in more of a stationary setting vs. something we are going to pull down the road.

Looks like some flooring under the sink in the bathroom was replaced, and there was some spray foam squirted in the join of the floor and interior wall behind the sink area.

What should be in the closet under the electric box? Looks like a vent to the exterior... or is that just where the cord goes through?

I called the number off the sign today. The gentleman was very nice but doesn't really know anything about airstreams (town of less than 2,000 and so this is really just a car lot that has expanded into other stuff people have traded in I gather.... some tractors and heavy equipment there too haha)... at any rate, he said that everything that is there works except that the fridge only works on 110v, not on gas. That would be fine for us right now as this will be stationary and can be plugged in full time.

Is this enough info for a ballpark figure on what some of you would offer for this?

We currently live about 200 miles from it, (moving to a town nearer there in Aug which is why we were out that way looking) so I'm trying to get well-educated for when I drive back to check it out and possibly negotiate.

My wife loves the look of the trailer, so I'm already getting questioned as to why it isn't in our driveway yet hahaha...

Thanks for your time, any info, and suggestions or points in the right direction!

Rob
Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks like it is a 28-foot, 1959 Ambassador, the 34th one built (out of +/-81) that year out of the Ohio plant. You can find similar examples here:

1959 Ambassador

Also check out this section to get a better idea of the Price vs Condition. Looks to me to be in the "As Found" category. I would be concerned about leaks with all that silicone around the windows and spray foam - both a "no-no" as appropriate fixes for leaks. Nothing too horrible...it's all fixable, it's just a matter of how much time & money you want to spend to do so. It actually looks pretty good or "typical" for a 50's trailer...what's there is in pretty good shape - it's just missingwhatever was up front.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
As far as the photo in this thread is concerned...it looks like they poke the electrcal cord (on the floor) out there to hook-up the trailer. Not "original" or a tpyical way of doing things - but it probably "works" assuming it's wired properly.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1959 airstream

Greetings Robbo!

Welcome to the Forums!

The coach looks to be in average or better condition for an "as found" trailer that is more than 50 years old. The only concern that I would have is that wherever the plywood/oriented strand board is visible the appearance is that is hasn't been in place for very long -- that could be a good or bad indicator. It isn't clearly evident whether the new wood goes under the interior wall as it should or if it is just fitted against the interior of the wall. If the replacement wood is just butted up against the interior wall, it could be hiding a nightmare of problems with the original floor and the structural attachment between body and frame.

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but it something that I would suggest looking into should you decide to proceed further with this coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Mansfield , Texas
Great info! thank you two the both of you! Unfortunately he's got it priced above the "Average" listing price... much less the "As found" price.

thank you for the link as well to the price/condition info. That should help me greatly with this one or any other I come across.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Unfortunately he's got it priced above the "Average" listing price... much less the "As found" price.
Well, if he were willing to negoiate to the lower end of the "average" price...it wouldn't be a bad deal. But if it's not "the one"...keep on looking, your Airstream will find you someday. In the meantime, study the PvsC info to be ready to jump a good deal when you find it - good ones go fast!

Shari

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Mansfield , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Well, if he were willing to negoiate to the lower end of the "average" price...it wouldn't be a bad deal. But if it's not "the one"...keep on looking, your Airstream will find you someday. In the meantime, study the PvsC info to be ready to jump a good deal when you find it - good ones go fast!

Shari
Yes, I think we will keep on looking.

He started at $8500... so I don't think we'll meet anywhere near the lower end of average. Maybe the UPPER end... too bad.

I looked around, but just wanted to check, there's no place where threads are posted on the forum for forum members to announce they are selling is there?

I know the classifieds is it's own page.... but was hoping for a way to look for active ("active" in the sense that they post a lot here and they might have their renovation etc. chronicled on the forum) members listings... vs. just someone who recently found this place and posted on the classifieds.

I'd pay a pretty penny more for one I could read through the documentation of the teardown and rebuilding of... guess that goes without saying though haha.

OK, the search continues

Thanks,
Rob

Tags