Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
1955 bubble whale tail value

So what should I insure my recently refurbished 1955 bubble whale tail airstream 16 foot travel trailer at? The serial # is 210. It is not original by far. I have however updated the interior to like new condition. To start off with I did a complete shell off restore. I had the frame completely straightened and leveled. With a new coat of speed-liner coating protecting the frame. All new marine grade sub flooring coated in water and mold resistant paint. All new insulation with a R value if 12+, with a bug resistant bubble wrap aluminum foil insulation with a air gap on either side. New hard rock maple cabinets. All new 12 volt and 110 wiring including a 60 amp converter. New shore power and city water exterior connector. New PEX water lines. New 18 gallon water tank. Stainless steel under mount sink Solid service counter tops and matching table top for the dinette. A 110 volt .60 gallon instant water heater with a hot and cold faucet. A new high end porta-potty and tie down system. A custom queen sided Groucho bed and a bunk bed for the kids in the front. A new stove and the largest single door Domenitic refrigerator 5 cu. ft. 2 way Fridge. All new LPG system with custom LPG liNes from Fluid Connectors . 2 large capacity LPG aluminum tanks. 2 interstate 12volt batteries at the same composite of a 6 volt system in ma hours. lots of custom drawers and storage. Custom lighting with Beaver coach lighting and rope accent lighting in roof vent and metal cabinet lighting. All new custom upholstery and bedding. New solar glass in the windows. A mirror like polish job on the exterior skins. New interior paint that mimmix a Zolotone finish. New custom exterior accesses hatch doors. And a ton more optional goodies that I have put into the trailer. I have seen trailers like this one go for about $17,000 - 30,000. That's a huge spread. I wanted to make sure that I have it adequately. Covered but not over insured. Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer to your question, however, I would probably begin with what I had in it.

Otherwise, wow! Your Bubble sounds wonderful! Do you have any pics you could share?

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
I wish I could post pictures. I have to pay the $20 to become a upgrade member. Ridiculous I know but I reached my max limit. If you look at my other threads there is some pictures of it during construction.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wink Did you know that:

There is no limit to images posted in the Photo Gallery and you can link to them in a post.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Oh really. Well I need to figure that one out. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Or pay $20. I would say that is a fair value for all the entertainment you get from this site.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 55 Bubble View Post
Oh really. Well I need to figure that one out. Thanks!
Simple!

Just upload your pics to the Photo Gallery (there is a big white tab at the top of each page) then go to the photo, click on the URL (the address in or near the top, starts with "www.airforums.com") then go to a post where you want the photo to show, and you can either

1. Just put your curser into a white space while you are in the edit mode for the post then click on "paste" (I use a shortcut: hold down the CTRL key and tap the letter V) and voila, there's your photo.

or,

2. Highlight a word that relates to the photo (like "click for photo") then open the link tool (picture of the world with a chain link in front of it) and paste the same link into the little box that opens up.

It sounds a lot harder than it is. Once you have written a post, you have five minutes to erase it, so practise, practise, practise!

And ask if something isn't clear or won't work.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039
Or pay $20. I would say that is a fair value for all the entertainment you get from this site.
I agree but my issue is the pay pal. I refuse to use them. $20 bucks in the grand scheme of things per year is not a big whoop.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
I digress. I would like to steer the conversation back to the possible value of the trailer. Any ideas or resources that others used to value their classic trailer.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Silverpal2

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 55 Bubble View Post
I digress. I would like to steer the conversation back to the possible value of the trailer. Any ideas or resources that others used to value their classic trailer.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
Be happy to help if intertested japolk@jps.net 805 646 7293
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
BB 55 as described it sounds like it should be insured above the range you suggested but be sure the insurance co accepts your value in writing. Remember that agreed value policies only mean that is the max amount they pay in a total loss situation. If the insurance co determines that the then current value is less , they will pay less . A vintage client has recently used Grundy , you may want to contact them for rates
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags