Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
19' Bambi vs. 20' Flying Cloud (2008-09 models)

Hi. I'm new to the forums, though I've enjoyed reading past threads - the wealth of information is overwhelming!

We're looking at the above models and need to visit a dealer to actually walk through, but looking at the floor plans for each, it seems that the sleeping situation on the 20' FC is better, as well as the kitchen with double sink and lots of counter space, but the 19' Bambi's configuration would provide slighter better mobility for a family of 4 moving around the cabin.

What are your thoughts based on your use? We would be camping on weekends and for longer trips, but not using as a full-time. We all like each other and younger child is 2, so takes up little space.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
19' Bambi vs. 20' Flying Cloud (Safari SE)

Metilling65, Welcome to the Airstream Forums!

You are correct in that you must visit a dealer and see these two gems in person. Check out all the specs, look at the pictures and you see the similarities and the differences, but an actual walk through brings it all home. Our situation is a bit different than yours. My wife and I retired last summer and decided to scratch an Airstream itch that had been with us a long time. Our initial interest had been directed to the new, at the time, 2008 Safari Sport 22. We were in Eugene, Oregon at a family function and visited George Sutton's RV. One of his excellent sales staff showed us the Sport 22 and then we wandered around looking at much of the rest of the new inventory. The salesman showed us a 2008 Safari 20 SE, which is pretty much the same as the 2009 Flying Cloud, and a new 19' Bambi. Our interest in the Sport soon diminished and before long we were salivating over the Safari SE 20. The main attraction was the galley which actually has more area than many larger units. The head also has plenty of room and is fully enclosed. Perhaps the biggest difference between the Sport and the Safari SE 20 is the price. The price difference between the Bambi 19 and the Safari SE 20 is not as great. We soon decided that the Safari was worth the discounted price that we paid and drove off the lot into the Airstream (RV) world last July 26. We have since traveled more than 12,000 miles and 40 camping days and have enjoyed every mile and every day. The Safari SE 20 (actually 20' 10") is perfect for us. Now, it's only my wife and I and our Welsh Terrier Dylan, but we are very comfortable. Have fun choosing your new Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	79051  

Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
Love the picture! Your pup looks like an Irish Terrier - good traveling dog?

We do need to get all four of us inside moving around to get a reality check, but I do find that the counter space in the galley is very appealing too. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer with a lot of models is about 4 hours away, so that's another weekend!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm going to be brutally honest here having been a 19' Bambi owner myself and my comments are not meant in anyway to scare you off, but more to really make you think long and hard about it.

It is a great layout and it's a cute Airstream..... those of us that have gone down that path, I know of only a handful that have kept them. JCanavera and I were just talking about this a few days ago, where the dealer told him he has high turnaround on 19 footers (as back then there was no 20 or 23).

I like many started out with the Bambi because my tow vehicle could easily handle it, it was two of us and two dogs and we thought, why not, we can make it work, but in reality, it wasn't a good fit.

Airstreams are measured bumper to coupler, which actually means the interior space is about 3' less than the total listed length....a 19' has about 16' of interior space...and so on and so on.

With 4, I can tell you right out that you really should consider a 23 or better yet a 25' (six sleeper)if you can manage or find one, cause if you have kids, they are only going to get bigger. Of course going larger means you have to have the tow vehicle to move and stop it.

I know this is most likely not what you wanted to hear, but seriously with two adults and 2 dogs (65lb and 25lb) it was difficult (and moving about inside was a real chore, let alone a lack of storage), and with the 25, it's the perfect balance IMHO....gives you room to grow into it, has very good storage, dual axles (as does the 23') and then you only wind up buying one Airstream in 4 years compared to what most of us did and buy two...the smaller, then the upgrade.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
Some of the units (Sport), have a lining on the wall I've seen discribed as "mouse fur", as a mother I would stay away from this potential cleaning disaster. The FC seems to have a finish that would allow a good wipe down for the sticky fingers.

Jackie
Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Any differences in the fresh, black and gray water sizes? How many batteries and how much LPG gallons? jim
Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Genoa , New York
Wow, thank you for your honesty. Really, we suffer from the same "make it work" mentality, so we would be convinced that we could manage. Unfortunately, a 25' requires a new tow vehicle, so lots to consider.

My husband, who is very handy and painstakingly meticulous, would like to gut one and completely refurbish. Having lived through many of these kinds of projects with our old house, I am hesitant to green light. Many threads attest to the ongoing maintenance/fixing factor in the new vs. vintage debate. I just want to travel and enjoy the scenery, not worry about when we'll get to do that!

Thanks for thoughts.
Robin
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Be careful buying a 19'er

The original poster said: "but the 19' Bambi's configuration would provide slighter better mobility for a family of 4 moving around the cabin."

I regret to say this but that is simply not true at all! Like the guy above, I use a 25' 2006. We have over 200 camping days completed over the last three years. Let me tell you something: all this talk about how many people an Airstream sleeps is ridiculous. Trying to jam a family of 4 into a Bambi wouldn't be something you'd want to do two day in a row. Those "sleeping" number are theoretical maximums. Ask yourself: How much fun will it be every night to take everything off the dinette table, stow that stuff, dismantle the table and make it into a bed? If you're like 99% of the population, you can read about it and it's OK. Doing it is completely different.

The 25' FB Safari has a slide out sort of seat across from the kitchen. All you gotta do is slide that seat out and you can fit two kids. It really works best when it is used for only one adult, but I think two kids would work fine. That is the MAXIMUM number of people you'd ever want in a 25' A/S. I don't care how many people A/S says it will sleep!

The original writer also seems to neglect to consider stowage. A/S's don't have that much room for your junk so you gotta ask yourself: Where am I going to put those clothes and personal effects for everyone? So sleeping is one issue, but where to put gear for all the extra people can be ignored when you're talking to a salesman or looking at a brochure over the internet, but actually jamming that stuff somewhere is something else.

Even if I sound like a salesman trying to up-sell, my advise to anyone selecting a unit for a family of four would be to either get a unit (and tow vehicle!) that work or don't buy one at all. These A/S are very expensive. Yes, people say they hold their value. But ask yourself, "how much can I get for a one year old Bambi for which I paid $48,000?" It will be worth something, but not as much as what you think. So avoid the expense of buying TWO trailers by buying what will actually work the first time.

Like the guy above said, this is not what you want to hear. But hey, sometimes it's better to know the truth before you open your wallet.

Oh, and by the way on that point: don't feel like you have to buy a unit at the closest dealer. My advise is to call many dealers to get the best price. In my case, most dealers would only offer 10% off MSRP. I probably called 15 dealers around the country. Even though I'm in New Mexico, I bought a unit in California for 20% off (I just picked it up there and started camping from that start point). The warranty work still got done at the Albuquerque dealer, no problem. So maybe hustling to buy right, price wise,can help you buy the right trailer, function wise, the first time around.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
don't get an old one!

Robin- I just saw your latest post after I put that long one in. I'm with you, have fun--don't buy some old one. As implied by my first post: use your time to buy the right trailer at a good price rather than killing your fixing up a piece of junk!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by metilling65 View Post
Wow, thank you for your honesty. Really, we suffer from the same "make it work" mentality, so we would be convinced that we could manage. Unfortunately, a 25' requires a new tow vehicle, so lots to consider.

My husband, who is very handy and painstakingly meticulous, would like to gut one and completely refurbish. Having lived through many of these kinds of projects with our old house, I am hesitant to green light. Many threads attest to the ongoing maintenance/fixing factor in the new vs. vintage debate. I just want to travel and enjoy the scenery, not worry about when we'll get to do that!

Thanks for thoughts.
Robin
Hi Robin... basically boils down to two schools of thought on the vintage vs. newer Airstream. Either way you are going to pay.

A good vintage that is in need of some work will cost you some money, after flooring, leaks, appliances, furnishings, etc, you will be a bit better off than buying a newer used unit, and you get to have it the way you want....and as you indicated are fully aware of the time commitment.

Buying newer (but not new) takes a good portion of the depreciation out of the picture (but not all). More times than not they are ready to go from day one. However, newer weighs more, so you have yourself a bit of a dilemma, though making choices like this can hardly be called a dilemma when deciding what Airstream you should go with.

But I fully stand by my comments, family of 4, nothing smaller than a 23 and 25 IMHO would be the smallest I would consider myself. If it meant having to get a new tow vehicle, so be it, it's the price you pay for family time in a safe manner. I look back at the days we as a family spent camping as kids and you just can't put a price tag on those memories. If yer gonna do it, do it right or not at all.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
IMO,

I'm a big fan of the smaller trailers. When we had our 18 footer, it was Ryan and I plus our 4 year old son and a 40 lb dog. I loved every minute with that trailer. The small size made it easy to maneuver into small or primitive sites; and it's limited size encouraged being outside, which is what camping is all about, right? When the weather was nasty, we all fit inside just fine. And even during normal breakfast making/getting dressed times, we did great.

Fast forward to now and we're currently restoring a 22' FC and we've added another son to the mix. If the 18 footer hadn't been stolen, we still be camping in it. Once faced with the decision of purchasing another trailer, we decided on a slightly longer model so that the front dinette will be big enough for 2 teenaged boys when that time comes.

In short, I say stay smaller and make sure to have an awning!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeltersmoke View Post
Metilling65, Welcome to the Airstream Forums!

You are correct in that you must visit a dealer and see these two gems in person. Check out all the specs, look at the pictures and you see the similarities and the differences, but an actual walk through brings it all home. Our situation is a bit different than yours. My wife and I retired last summer and decided to scratch an Airstream itch that had been with us a long time. Our initial interest had been directed to the new, at the time, 2008 Safari Sport 22. We were in Eugene, Oregon at a family function and visited George Sutton's RV. One of his excellent sales staff showed us the Sport 22 and then we wandered around looking at much of the rest of the new inventory. The salesman showed us a 2008 Safari 20 SE, which is pretty much the same as the 2009 Flying Cloud, and a new 19' Bambi. Our interest in the Sport soon diminished and before long we were salivating over the Safari SE 20. The main attraction was the galley which actually has more area than many larger units. The head also has plenty of room and is fully enclosed. Perhaps the biggest difference between the Sport and the Safari SE 20 is the price. The price difference between the Bambi 19 and the Safari SE 20 is not as great. We soon decided that the Safari was worth the discounted price that we paid and drove off the lot into the Airstream (RV) world last July 26. We have since traveled more than 12,000 miles and 40 camping days and have enjoyed every mile and every day. The Safari SE 20 (actually 20' 10") is perfect for us. Now, it's only my wife and I and our Welsh Terrier Dylan, but we are very comfortable. Have fun choosing your new Airstream.
Hey smeltersmoke...very nice running into you/meeting you at Oasis in Tucson today! We were admiring your 20' Safari SE while we were there. I has a very nice floorplan....and it's a looker.

Now for our 2 cents...we have a 19' Safari SE (this would be called a Flying Cloud from 2009 on) and we love it...for it's "cute factor," its towability, and its manuverability in tight spaces.... However, we agree with those above who say it's not really big enough for family of 4... We are only 2 medium people and 2 medium dogs and that's plenty of people and dogs for the space available. The 19' is perhaps once of the most efficient floor plans in terms of use of space, but you really need to consider how you plan to use your AS and how many people you need to accommodate. Remember...those kids will grow...fast! Even a 20' or 23' with 4 might not be practical in the long run. For us the 19', 20', 23' and the new 23' front bed are ideal...but the smaller trailers are not for everyone...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by metilling65 View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forums, though I've enjoyed reading past threads - the wealth of information is overwhelming!

We're looking at the above models and need to visit a dealer to actually walk through, but looking at the floor plans for each, it seems that the sleeping situation on the 20' FC is better, as well as the kitchen with double sink and lots of counter space, but the 19' Bambi's configuration would provide slighter better mobility for a family of 4 moving around the cabin.

What are your thoughts based on your use? We would be camping on weekends and for longer trips, but not using as a full-time. We all like each other and younger child is 2, so takes up little space.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I think either one of those trailers are pretty good set-ups; And can be do-able even for four. But most people [family of four] would preferr more room. The happy medium seems to be a 25'er. Too many times, I have read on this forum, where within three years or less they traded up once or twice to own the trailer they should have started with. [Silvertwinkie and Goin camping, just to name a few] Our 25'er was the perfect size, for us, my wife and I and two little dogs. The little dogs have passed on and our trailer is still just right for two adults to be comfortable. I see nothing wrong with the smaller trailers; Many people are very happy with them, But it can be very costly if you are one of the few who decides that you will need to move up within the first year or less.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Seems that many new people to Airstream gravitate to the small trailers ( Bambi) for the "cute" factor. Thinking how compact and efficient these little Airstreams are. The truth is for most couples, they're to small. For four ,25' is about the smallest I would consider. I've always thought the word "camping" in relation to traveling is a rolling feature filled condominium is amusing. I'm not sure what the term is or should be but I've been "camping" and traveling and staying in an Airstream is not camping. It's better than most hotels. As for gutting and renovating an older Airstream. Given the labor, frustration,and actual cost . Unless you're fully committed to not "camping" until the work is completed (twice as long and expensive as estimated) new or nearly new is the better option. Getting back to the original question, a 19' (16')Airstream is to small for four, unless you're Mormon and three of those are wives.

Tags
20' flying cloud, bambi