Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
'05 Safari with a rebuilt title...

Knowing this is a subjective question, I'm hoping to gain some insight from those more knowledgeable than I am. I've seen this ad earlier this year:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ri-30-texas-3/

While it lines up with a lot of the qualities we're looking for, I'm totally lost on value of the rebuilt/salvage title. Earlier this year, I didn't believe that something cosmetic would total and AS... I've read enough on the forum about the shell/body work to learn otherwise.

Knowing that I'd try to find someone to inspect it, as well drive over to see it in person, I'd love some input on what others think to know if it's wise to even pursue this one. FWIW, I think this may be the same trailer in an ad from a couple years ago for the same trailer...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...ma-125475.html

Thanks for any input!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, I am not certain that it is the same trailer, noteable difference being the upholstery. If it is the same trailer, it is interesting that the current seller thinks it is appreciating as time goes on--looks like an increase of several thousand in the price--maybe that is for the upholstery update.

Anyway, my attitude is that a trailer that has been totaled and has a salvage title should have a significant (25-30%) price reduction compared to a similar trailer without the salvage title. Looks to me that nothing was spent repairing the hail damage (visible in the older ad), so any "refurbishment" investment was applied to upholstery, or just maintenance. I also figure that the reason we love these trailers is the space-age looking shell. If you get too many dings in it, then the aesthetic value is compromised significantly, even if mechanically everything is working just fine. I suppose it is a matter of what you can tolerate, but just expect to have to explain the dings to every visitor for as long as you own the trailer.

If you intend to keep it forever, then resale value may not be an issue, but just expect any potential buyer you may have for the future resale to have the same hesitance that you are having right now. Also, make sure that it is insurable with the title as it is. Many companies take the attitude that the entire value of the trailer has already been written off, and especially if nothing has been done to repair the damage it was written off for, it may not be insurable.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Insurance is a problem with a salvage title. Investigate that first.

An interior fire is often a reason for such a title. Often related to an appliance. Short of rebuilding the trailer from scratch there may be no adequate way of gauging severity of electrical wiring damage.

I'd pass on a salvage title trailer, personally.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Thank you! While we plan on keeping it a while, life can always throw curves when you're not looking! I guess the descriptions in both ads sounded so close to the same wording that I thought it might be the same. I can't find it now, but we saw an ad earlier this summer for this trailer listed at 35K. I called our insurance company (Amica) when we saw the ad this summer to ask about the salvage/rebuilt title, they told me that they'd issue a policy for it since we'd been with them over 10 years for home & auto. Once I hear back from the seller I'll see if someone who's an inspector out in ATX is willing to meet me there and run through the trailer. Thanks again for your insight, and I welcome anyone else's thoughts on it!

Dave
Old 10-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Thank you for the tips!!! I'll be sure to have something in writing from the insurance company before making any moves. I'll need to get the VIN from the seller for insurance company to be able to get something definitive from them. Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
keep shopping, we have a 2005 in great condition and paid less then that, seems like a lot of folks (myself included) price things high with the idea that "you can come down, you can't go up"... look, visit, talk, be flexible, you might be surprised at what you can get.
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Thank you for the advice! It means a lot!

Dave