Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Would you buy a brand new Airstream?

Would YOU buy a brand new Airstream today?

After months of following the daily posts on the forums, I have come to the conclusion that doing so would be pretty stupid. We had an Airstream not that long ago that had a never ending list of issues and serious defects. We chalked it up to just being a lemon. We got so close to pulling one home this month but something still makes me weary of doing just that.

I must have alluminitus just like everyone else here but I have found the cure now. Read the forums and they scare it right out of you!

It is such a shame that a trailer that has the potential to be so great, just isn't.
There are so many disappointed people who have spent their hard earned money on a camping vehicle that does not even keep them dry or warm.

It is unacceptable that folks take it home and systems start failing. Having a whole list of items to have your dealer repair in the first years is a joke. People are told to do preventative maintenance and seal it up before it leaks and begin your anti corrosion treatment asap. I just want to go camping already.

Who has wads of cash burning a hole in their pockets needed to upgrade electrical systems, air conditioning units, monitors and a new set of wheels with bullet proof tires? If I am buying the most expensive trailer on the market -brand new- I expect it to be working and reliable. Why accept anything else?

So it looks like I will be in the SOB crowd at the campground next to you and waiting for Airstream to do or die.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Woof, I don't think the quality issues are limited to Airstream. Not too long ago I read about a man who bought a brand-new motor home for more than $500,000. On his first trip, two weeks after bringing it home, all three air conditioners died. The dealer told him to bring it in the next week. Several people commented that their next phone call would have been to the factory insisting that a repairman with three new air conditioners be dispatched to the campground immediately.

Like it or not, the warranty is there to let the new owner have the factory mistakes taken care of because there will be mistakes. Unfortunately, the American work ethic is not what it used to be. Workers expect that it is their right to do the bare minimum of work for a big paycheck. Airstream workers appear to be no different than those in any other place.

As far as your question, no, I wouldn't buy a new Airstream. Nor would I buy any other RV new. Partly that is due to the fact that I simply can't afford to buy a new RV, and partly because of personal preference. I'd rather buy a used RV for half the price of the new one because most likely the previous owner has taken care of all of the small and big things that didn't work properly. In other words, I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit, and I'll have a coach that will do well for me for much less money.

That said, I thank those who bought the new coaches years ago so that I have a decent selection of used coaches to choose from.

Now, if I were a rich man and could afford to buy new, yes, I'd buy a new Airstream. I would be at the factory supervising every step of the construction of my new coach. I'd also be asking lots of questions and paying close attention to what the factory people tell me to take care of my new coach. And yes, that first year I'd be at the dealer or the factory more than once to have things taken care of.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I owned three new SOB's before buying a 9 year old AS. The used AS cost less than any of the new SOB's and is much higher quality than the SOB's. My SOB's made many trips to the dealer for warranty work. Many times the work was a repeat of a previous fix. My SOB's all had $14 plastic faucets vs the Moens faucets in the AS. All of the plumbing fixtures and hardware in the SOB's were of much lower quality.

I would buy a new AS but I am too tight to part with that much money for a new one when I get so much enjoyment out of my 02 Safari. My wife and I are both convinced that our AS is the last camper we will ever buy. I am convinced it can be maintained and upgraded over the years while the typical SOB has about a 10 year life span. My 10 year old AS is just now growing out of her infancy.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Even if I won the Powerball or Mega Millions lottery I would not buy a new Airstream or any other RV for that matter. I would find a used unit that I really liked and pay someone to go through it and rebuild it to my specifications and satisfaction. I had someone ask me a similar question about motorhomes the other day. I told them I wasn't aware of any brand new MoHo on the market that I would be interested in. But I wouldn't hesitate to put down the money for an older BlueBird then take it resto shop and have it completely rebuilt.

I honestly think you will come out money ahead in the long run.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Another cry baby thread. Wa, wa, wa.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I purchased a year old 20' and used it for 2 years and decided to trade-in for a new 23' front bed. This front bed layout came out a few years ago, so I did not have choice to buy used.
As for the quality, reliability or recognition is concern I do not think there is any other brand of RV which come close. Sure there are issues with new AS, however, the quality and workmanship is far superior than any other on the market.
Now last but not least if you can afford it than buy it. Like they say "One life to live". We can't take any thing with us so why not enjoy as much as we can.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
We bought new in 2008. 2007, 27' Limited edition Safari and fulltime in it. Thus far, no leaks, no corrosion, no complaints. However, I do have an Audi that is making my pockets bleed. Our Airstream has a few minor issues -- none of which has cost more than a few bucks to correct. Maybe we're lucky, maybe we don't abuse it enough? Who knows. We're wrapping up an 18-month restoration on a 31' 1969 and will be saying goodbye to the 27 FB but I can tell you we would do it all over again with zero regrets. We've grown to love vintage but understand that things will absolutely require attention as we go. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yes, but only if I can write a check for it. Making a payment every month would magnify any petty aggravations.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We don't like the floor plans of the new ASs with the split bathroom. There are a few without that feature, but not in the sizes we would want. We also have thought for many years that we could design an RV better than anything on the market with better storage and get EXACTLY what we wanted by building it ourselves. We got turned on to vintage AS when we saw an AS being redone on a vintage auto resto DIY show. And here we are. No, I don't think we'd buy new at this time. Everyone has their preferences, and ours are not the same as other peoples. Doesn't mean they're wrong, just different from us. Nothing wrong with that!

Kay
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We bought new and didn't want to have problems as we were remodeling our house and that was enough to do. We had lots of problems with it.

So, I'd look for a gently used one if we were doing it again, but we won't do it again because we are keeping the one we have.

There are quite a few threads telling about poorly made Airstreams. This must be a real problem as they keep coming and more and more people post about their bad experiences. Yet, there are some people who continually discount the stories of people who buy the problem ones and even insult them.

That's like stepping on someone's foot who just stubbed their toe by accident. It would be easy to insult the insulters, but almost no one does. I applaud that restraint; maybe that will set an example of restraint for the insulters who may be the real crybabies.

Gene
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought two new ones and have not regretted either one for a moment. The 2007 was good but this one is a dreamboat. Yes inspect and maintain them from the day you bring it home, a few hours of preventive maintenance each quarter can make it last a lifetime, and look good all the while.

All trailers have failures when new, some are self-inflicted and some are lack of even reasonable maintenance. Some complaints are valid and some are just endless complaining and repetition. And some are by people who do not even have the problem. Learn to sort out the difference in reading forums.

If you are not satisfied with the components used, ditch them and buy the best. Personally I don't throw out stuff that works.

If you think an SOB is a better product you will be in for a big disappointment. Doesn't even come close to Airstream quality, tow ability, longevity, or satisfaction.

doug k
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Crawford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof

After months of following the daily posts on the forums, I have come to the conclusion that doing so would be pretty stupid. We had an Airstream not that long ago that had a never ending list of issues and serious defects. We chalked it up to just being a lemon. We got so close to pulling one home this month but something still makes me weary of doing just that.

I must have alluminitus just like everyone else here but I have found the cure now. Read the forums and they scare it right out of you!

It is such a shame that a trailer that has the potential to be so great, just isn't.
There are so many disappointed people who have spent their hard earned money on a camping vehicle that does not even keep them dry or warm.

It is unacceptable that folks take it home and systems start failing. Having a whole list of items to have your dealer repair in the first years is a joke. People are told to do preventative maintenance and seal it up before it leaks and begin your anti corrosion treatment asap. I just want to go camping already.

Who has wads of cash burning a hole in their pockets needed to upgrade electrical systems, air conditioning units, monitors and a new set of wheels with bullet proof tires? If I am buying the most expensive trailer on the market -brand new- I expect it to be working and reliable. Why accept anything else?

So it looks like I will be in the SOB crowd at the campground next to you and waiting foAirstream to do or die.
We bought a brand new 2012. Eddie Bauer airstream march 2012- with the cargo door so that we could haul my husband's mountain bikes. So we plan a month long out of state trip to Colorado, Utah, and Idaho. The entire trip has been one big disaster due to problems with our Airstream. No air, no heat, then no electricity at all. Leaking water under sink and if you use two appliances at once - it throws a breaker. After many calls to try and get service with no luck and many calls to Airstream in Ohio. The main Airstream peoples answer to our problems was, " Can"t you just get someone in the RV park to look at it"?....... So here we are stuck miles from home and out of luck. Anyone interested in buying an Airstream - because this one is for sale!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota

Yes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchur4 View Post
We bought a brand new 2012.

The entire trip has been one big disaster due to problems with our Airstream. No air, no heat, then no electricity at all. Leaking water under sink and if you use two appliances at once - it throws a breaker. After many calls to try and get service with no luck and many calls to Airstream in Ohio. The main Airstream peoples answer to our problems was, " Can"t you just get someone in the RV park to look at it"?....... So here we are stuck miles from home and out of luck. Anyone interested in buying an Airstream - because this one is for sale!!!!!!
Tchur4, don't act too fast. You will lose a lot of money if you sell it in bad condition and "used". Your experience is awful and you deserve better. Who told you to have someone look at it in the RV park? That's a bad answer.

Where are you now and do you have an Airstream dealer near? Any RV service place that can get the electrical working?

For the past week some of the people in customer service and probably the service center have been at big rally in Missouri so whomever you talked to may have been 3rd team. Call customer relations on Monday and ask for Dave Schumann. He is the dep't head. Explain your problems to him and ask him how he will help you. I have always found Dave to be helpful.

Gene
Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
yup.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I would definitely buy another new one, but I would get it at a price that reflects its actual value, not its mythical, fairy dust value. The reason I would buy another one is that no one else makes an aerodynamic aluminum trailer with sleek interiors. But simply, and factually, we overpaid for the last new one (2012). I won't make that mistake again.

The truth is that the discounts off list are going to continue to get deeper, because people understand better that they will have to spend a lot of money to make it reliable. It's simple economics. Either AS can put the reliable stuff in, or I can put it in, but I won't pay for it twice. Nobody on the planet pays list price for these things. This ain't no Camry or Accord. These are very heavily discounted already. Right now they go for about 20% off, and based on what is being shipped they should be 25% to 28% off.

At some point the high quality dealers will balk at this situation. They won't want to have all these angry customers screaming at them all the time. And they won't like smaller and smaller margins as people demand deeper discounts to reflect poor reliability. At that point the AS company will either move to a lower end dealer base (used car lots), or improve the product, or go out of business.

The AS trailer is a GREAT idea conceptually. It has a ton of unique aspects to it that make it very appealing to a niche market. But the idea has been "cored out," China-fied, and cost reduced to untenable levels. There simply is no market of any kind for $80,000 campers that don't work. Just look at the number of brand new owners like Tchur on here who are out on the first camping trip of the year, and already so frustrated they want to sell. This will be unsustainable for AS. They'll be dead in three years at this rate of unhappiness. It would appear that the company is just sound asleep.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Yes. In a heartbeat. (and I have learned a lot about heartbeats recently)

Fact is, If I thought I was going to keep working to pay it off, I would have a brand spankin new 28ft International Serenity sitting in my driveway right now. Love my 1984. Love the new ones even better.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We bought a new Airstream 3 months ago and we love it! The company has been responsive to the few issues we have had and we think it is just awesome! I would do it again in a heartbeat! Even if we had to pay list price...

I can not help but compare some of the "complainers" on this forum to Spanky and Alfalfa and the "He Man Woman Haters Club".......

Oh well, We love ours anyway!
Bruce
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My wife and I love our new 30 foot 2012 flying cloud. We have had only one problem with it; the water tank sensor did not read properly for the freshwater tank and was replaced.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Unlike some of the kool-aid drinkers here (sorry Gene, couldn't resist!), I have a love hate relationship with my AS. The concept and iconic history is unqestioned. However, the execution sucks. The only savings grace is the fact that I special ordered it and did not have to overpay for features I did not want. This will be the last AS/TT I ever own.
Closed Thread