Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
NO! I have a 38 year old Argosy 26'. It had problems, but nothing like what I read on the forum about the new units and the problems people face when trying to get them repaired.
I have taken care of all the known problems with this trailer. At least if there is a problem with something I've done, I know where to find the guy that screwed it up.
All new plumbing, upgraded electrical, functioning furnace (original I might add), functioning original refer (no fancy Electronics to go bad) , new water heater, new toilet, new axles, new base cabinets in galley, new cabinet fronts thru out. Oh! And the original air conditioner still works.
And best of all! It's paid for.
Other than fancy stainless stuff and other tricked out things. I don't see a whole lot of change in the past 38 years.
The new ones may have micro waves, TV's, DVD players and solar. So does mine. Even an inverter.
Why would I want a new one at 8x the price?

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Absolutely yes!
Especially when you see the new ones on the factory floor. I have had three used ones and have tackled some big projects on them and it would be a blessing to have something newer. The problems I see mentioned seem minute and nit picky but easy for me to say because I have personally fixed about everything I own.

Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thumbs up

Yes! In another (stentless--power to you casa) heartbeat!
We love our problem-ridden 2007 FB. Solving the problems and adding some perks have made it the perfect fantasy-mobile.
Happy Trails.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Yes and No!

Hi, Yes and No! [My daughters hate this answer] Yes, if I wanted to because of mine being totaled or stolen or something like that. No, because the one that we have now was planned for our one and only trailer for life. My biggest malfunction is the tank monitors and I have learned to live with it like it is. Little problems, Yes. Big problems, No. We ordered our trailer and saved way more than I will ever spend on it for repairs. Our trailer was paid for before we ever even seen it. [another big savings] We thought that we might want to full time in the future and may want to go up in size, [27' to 30'] but if we do it will more than likely be another brand new one without payments. And yes, it does help to be someone with a mechanical back round, who also can do plumbing, electrical, wood working, and sewing too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, I have bought new, and would do it again.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
YES --------------- If they would reproduce the Clipper in a 3 axle 44', with mid mount door, Cummins engine, raised rail chassis, aluminium frame above and below the floor, 44000# GVW + 10000# tow capacity. It would be gelcoat finish, and would have basically the same systems as was the OEM model, with all storage tanks increased by 20%.(eg fuel 120USgal, Water 120 USGal, Grey 84USgal, and black 48 USgal.)
It would have slides as an option, but come standard equipment as a no slide "traveler" edition built to handle the rough roads to be encountered with continent wide travel.
The roof air conditioning would be 'TRANSIT STYLE" and ducted through out, large solar capacity, and windows the same size as the Clipper, but improved skylight quality.

I can say that I would buy one because the chances of them building it are less than me having to win the lottery to be able to buy it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

Try one of these: Newell Coach - Take the good life with you on for size. No Airstream can fact NOTHING compares to it!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thats why you buy a Lotus. Toyota engine. 0-60 in 4 sec. and handles great. It can even beat a shelby mustang 500 around a track. Mostly because the mustang can't or ever will be able to go around a conner.

AS is kinda the same. looks cool, works great most of the time. but when it goes wrong, WELL
Old Lotus' were very much like Airstreams... looked good from afar, people thought you were a pimp, and sounded nice when the actually ran.

New Lotus' aren't really Lotus... and perhaps that's the direction Airstream needs to take to transition to something better...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Would I buy another new Airstream???? I haven't even thought about it as I just bought a new Airstream.
But, I don't know... I think there are lots of valid reactions (not complaints) to some of the quality issues that I would have to think about. At first I was disappointed in the gaucho-dinette set-up., poorly designed, difficult to change and awkward. Next I found the Zip-Dee awning to be troublesome. I know this is a non As product but AS installs and contracts with Zip-Dee so it's an AS issue. I'n now dissatisfied with the marker light bases.Why do the flat surface areas have the same radius bases as the curved panels. This leaves a gap in the center and some of the lights are snugged up so much they have dented the aluminum.These are design issues and have nothing to do with production. I looked at other trailers half heartedly when we made this purchase and I will say my new AS is the least cheesiest of all of the other brands.

So i guess thats what I have an issue with. I got a coach because it was the least cheesiest as opposed to being the best.

I know , I know I still haven't answered the question. I dunno.I hope I don't have to buy another one.

This is in no way an endorsement for Kraft Mac & Cheese which advertises it self as being the most cheesiest.

And I hope I haven't offended anyone from Wisconsin and get this thread shut down.

Hope is not a plan.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Lemoore , California
Yes. We bought two within the last 14 or so months. No issues with either one. We have been very fortunate to not have the quality issues I read about other's have had. No issues with either one.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
IF you didn't buy Airstream what Other SOB would you buy???? I've been looking at some other brands and they seem to be very competitive to Airstream.I think Airstreams are way over priced today .I bought my 25 foot Safari new in 1999.The price has now more than doubled for a Flying Cloud and I think my old Safari is a better trailer.Airstream better watch out some of the other trailers are going after their market niche. MI Silver
Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #41

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"IF you didn't buy Airstream what Other SOB would you buy????"

Never an SOB.....a GUAS.

"Our trailer was paid for before we ever even seen it."

Bob brings up a very good point....

We too...but in our case....It hurt way less if your not paying every month for the privilege of repairing stuff.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Yes. I'm on my second AS. Bought a new one a year and a half ago. Would buy another someday. I've had just a couple of minor issues that have been fixed under warranty. I've owned a number of SOBs in my life and I strongly believe AS is a better product. Russ

Russ and Linda
2010 Flying Cloud 25' "Camp Luckyduck"
2012 F250 Powerstroke 6.7
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Closed Thread