Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #41
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
I've put up a few pics of the safari.

Paul, Good work on the Safari - really looks great!
Bill
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
that mod fabric would REALLY work in my '69 Safari~! is it still available somewhere??
Paul might be busy with his wife having a baby and all, but I did a quick check online and found some sites with some MCM fabrics:

This one ain't cheap:
Mid-Century Modern Collection » J & O Fabrics: Categories

Prices seem better:
Mid Century Modern & Retro Fabrics @ winterbeachmodern.com

Expensive again...:
eamesfabric.com - girard, nelson, eames, panton, maharam, fabric, modern, textiles

And so on. Looks like there are several sources online, though I didn't check to see if they carry the exact one used on Paul's Safari.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well, another few weeks have passed and I'm still looking. A '75 Overlander actually came up in Round Rock, but it was in pretty scary shape as well, and it had obviously been heavily smoked in, which is a smell I just can't take. It would need to be completely gutted to get the stink out of it.

A local Austin guy also had a '54 Cruiser for sale here. It was in really nice shape, but of course it had the single axle and I'm really looking for tandem. Still, I loved the 13-panels, and it's a whale-tail to boot which is really cool looking.

So, the search goes on. I think I'll know the right one when it comes along. I'm hoping so anyway.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think you're on the right track with a tandem...I know Zep is redoing an early 70's tandem Safari, which seems like a great size/axle combo, the smallest tandems, that I know of... I have a single axle 23' and got a flat my first road trip: weren't no fun...I recently got some 'Ride-On' that I'm going to try (tire sealant).. your patience will be rewarded, smart move.. if you happen to know Steve from the Continental Club he has a most amazing 13 panel that was recently at the car show in your town...worth getting a look at if you can. Personally, I'd have a really hard time NOT buying a 13 panel at the right price...good luck!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
I think you're on the right track with a tandem...I know Zep is redoing an early 70's tandem Safari, which seems like a great size/axle combo, the smallest tandems, that I know of... I have a single axle 23' and got a flat my first road trip: weren't no fun...I recently got some 'Ride-On' that I'm going to try (tire sealant).. your patience will be rewarded, smart move.. if you happen to know Steve from the Continental Club he has a most amazing 13 panel that was recently at the car show in your town...worth getting a look at if you can. Personally, I'd have a really hard time NOT buying a 13 panel at the right price...good luck!
Thanks Rick, I appreciate the continued support. I've been following your thread and you're doing some really great work, keep it up! Your thread and the other resto/reno threads are like crack to those of us who have no Airstream to work on.

I don't know Steve personally but I've seen the pictures of his trailer and it's beautiful. Honestly, I'm VERY tempted by this '54 Cruiser despite the single axle. It's got an original center bath and the systems are all operational and mostly original. It has some blemishes, the skin definitely isn't perfect, but it's still pretty nice, would polish up beautifully, and I really like the whale tail. He's asking $8500, and it's in pretty good shape, but I don't know if it's THAT good.

As an experienced boat-trailer hauler, I absolutely love tandem axles for a variety of reasons. Not only do they have the nice failure redundancy feature, but they also pull and maneuver so nicely. But my current boat has a single axle trailer and actually weighs more than the '54, so I can do it if need be.

Overall, I really like the size of the Overlanders, especially the early 60s models. For my purposes and desired floorplan, I think I could make a Tradewind work as well, but I'd like the tandem axles and it seems like those weren't around until the 70s, or maybe the late 60s?

Anyway, I appreciate your and the rest of the forum's continued support and continued interest in my pursuit of "the one." I wish I had more to offer back to the forum, but until I have an Airstream of my own there's not much I have to give. No matter how much work your trailer is, I hope that everyone who already has an Airstream really appreciates what you have, because NOT having one is pretty tough too...

-Marcus
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #46
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Anyway, I appreciate your and the rest of the forum's continued support and continued interest in my pursuit of "the one." I wish I had more to offer back to the forum, but until I have an Airstream of my own there's not much I have to give. No matter how much work your trailer is, I hope that everyone who already has an Airstream really appreciates what you have, because NOT having one is pretty tough too...
-Marcus
And when you finally get one, you'll remember what Christmas was like when you were like 8 years old!

What you're learning now (& continue to learn throughout), will be what you'll share when that one question comes up that you absolutely have the answer for. Besides, your questions are helpful to all.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
And when you finally get one, you'll remember what Christmas was like when you were like 8 years old!
I have no doubt about that. My irrepressibly sweet, cute, & adorable wife thinks I've completely lost my mind. But, she likes the idea of trailer camping too, especially now that we have a newborn, so she's going along with me pretty well. Last week when I was convinced I'd found the perfect vintage Overlander in Indiana, she started making the arrangements to pack up our baby and drive up there with me to get it. That one didn't work out, but the next one might, and she's ready to help me do whatever it takes. She's a wonderful girl!

Quote:
What you're learning now (& continue to learn throughout), will be what you'll share when that one question comes up that you absolutely have the answer for. Besides, your questions are helpful to all.
I'm trying to do what I can for other forum members, because so many of them are so willing to help and share with newbies like me. I've been a part of numerous computer message board communities over the past two decades, going all the way back to a BBS that I ran on my Apple IIc over a 300 baud modem on my parents' rotary telephone line-- and in all my experience, this community is truly uniqe in its comraderie and willingness to help.

Thanks again for your encouragement, maybe one of these days I'll be able to give you a tour of my "new" Airstream at a rally or something.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So close...

...to buying a 1963 Overlander in Indiana today. A '63 that received zero bids in its ebay auction, with a starting price of $3499.99. I contacted the seller who was brokering on behalf of the owner, and the owner agreed to re-list and set the buy-it-now for $2500 so that I could purchase it quickly. I decided it was a fair price, so it was a done deal. I was going to have my first Airstream.

I called my wife and since she doesn't have to work again until late next week, we decided to take a long weekend and drive up to Indianapolis, stopping off in Memphis for some BBQ on the way up, and maybe stopping somewhere in Arkansas on the way back. I arranged the time off from work, made the appointment to get some warranty work done on the Z71 first-thing tomorrow (it's at 35,500 miles!) as well as an oil change/tire rotation/safety inspection. Called my folks to let them know I'd be out of town for a few days, and called our baby's daycare to let them know the baby would be out for the first couple of days next week. I also started trying to figure out where the heck I was going to pick up a WD hitch on short notice (I bought and installed my P3 brake controller weeks ago).

But when I got home and checked my e-mail, looking for my good news, I found a bit of a bitter pill instead. Apparently, just this afternoon, the owner had sold it locally and my offer would not be needed.

A day late, dollar short, once again it seems. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed-- I was so close.

Two Things I Learned That I Wasn't 100% Sure Of Before Today
:
1) I really do want an Airstream. I'm not just fantasizing, I'm ready to do it. Whatever it takes.
2) I'm willing to travel long distances with short notice to do it. And so is my lovely wife and our darling daughter.

So, I'm going to go ahead and take tomorrow off anyway, and get everything done to the truck that I need to, so that I'm ready when it happens. And I'm going to keep on looking in every nook and cranny, and snooping around as much as possible.

Because there's always another one.

Right?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas

UTee94, you ever find an airstream?

I've started to refinish the interior of ours

I'm posting updates on the house blog Austin ModHouse
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hot100--

Still looking, actually! I think I'm being pretty picky, but I don't want to do it wrong the first time. I'm an engineer, and I've been trained to "Do it Right, Do It Once."

Ever since we crossed paths a couple of months back, I've actually been following your blog fairly regularly. I really like your house, I'm a big fan of modernist home design. I almost went on the Cool House tour and might have seen it in person then, but something else came up that weekend and we weren't able to make the tour.

I liked your work on your previous AS and look forward to seeing more updates on your current Overlander project on your blog. I'd also love to see it in person one of these days, if you ever have some spare time. I'd be happy to buy the margaritas if that's what it will take...
Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
sounds like a nice plan. you busy this wknd?

I like margaritas. you want to bring the family along as well?

send me a email paul at austinmodhouse dot com
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
We'll be in San Diego this weekend, but maybe the following? I'll send you an e-mail, and hope to catch up with you soon.

-Marcus
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
utee94,
It seems like you are an expectant father with the lamaze bag ready to go at a moment's notice.

How long have you been looking? I was sort of fortunate, in that I already had my '06 when we started looking for an older gently used unit. It took us about a year, many trailers looked at, and many miles traveled until we found the '87 and it was a 16 hour round trip to get her. But we are very happy with her and now I am looking for a Bambi for my daughter and son-in law.

Do you have a budget, or is the sky the limit? And what make, model year, and floor plan is your dream Airstream?

Have you looked at RV Trader or RVT.com? I did a search on RV Trader for Texas (I know it's a big state) and there were a few older units that may pique your interest. There were only two in RVT.com for Texas and one was a 1957 El Ray (Airstream Knock Off) that is nicely done, but $22,000.00
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100 View Post
UTee94, you ever find an airstream?

I've started to refinish the interior of ours

I'm posting updates on the house blog Austin ModHouse
Hey fuegos -- nice blog. Interesting planning. Thanks for sharing now and into the future!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
utee94,
It seems like you are an expectant father with the lamaze bag ready to go at a moment's notice.

How long have you been looking? I was sort of fortunate, in that I already had my '06 when we started looking for an older gently used unit. It took us about a year, many trailers looked at, and many miles traveled until we found the '87 and it was a 16 hour round trip to get her. But we are very happy with her and now I am looking for a Bambi for my daughter and son-in law.

Do you have a budget, or is the sky the limit? And what make, model year, and floor plan is your dream Airstream?

Have you looked at RV Trader or RVT.com? I did a search on RV Trader for Texas (I know it's a big state) and there were a few older units that may pique your interest. There were only two in RVT.com for Texas and one was a 1957 El Ray (Airstream Knock Off) that is nicely done, but $22,000.00
Hi Deitz,

I actually started a thread specifically for my Search, so if you become bored some day and would like to read a rather long and rambling thread that is regularly interrupted by discussions of BBQ and celebrity guest appearances from the likes of VAP panel pro Rob Baker, then do I have the thread for you!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...too-41538.html

But to answer your questions and to spare you the necessity of wading though that thread if you'd rather not, I've been looking seriously for about 6 months now, and casually for another 6 months before that. I'm looking for a restorable trailer in the best possible condition I can find in the under $5K range.

My desired model is the Overlander, and my desired era is '58-'63. I could go for a twin or a double model, I see advantages and disadvantages to either one. Most of these have a gaucho in front, which I plan to convert to a dinette.

I am checking Ebay, regional Caigslist, VAC classified, Airforums Classified, and RVT, as well as my local classifieds, pretty much every day. I am also lucky enough to have a crack team of super-special vintage experts who are searching the corners of the Earth on my behalf, and to whom I will be eternally grateful.

All advice and input is much appreciated. She's out there, and I will find her. Soon, I think.

-Marcus
Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Well, I found the right one. It's a 1963 Overlander, and it's magnificent.

Details can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...-41538-19.html

-Marcus