2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
I almost forgot a/b this thread.

anyhow, so I found a 68 overlander in fort worth.
Very cool - Always a positive thing when it survives a trip back home. How's the interior? Exterior finish? Post some pix when you can.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
blogging and resto

I hope to find time to start work on the overlander later this month.

we're going to have a baby on friday and I'm recovering from sxsw so...

also need to complete new home projects before june as I expect we will be on the cool house tour.

I blog a/b house and austin type stuff at austinmodhouse.com/blog
this past week I blogged about my orange gnome friend

we are in west lake hills if you want to stop by some time to see it.

I did find it on the dallas c-list

paul

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Chronicles Continued

Well, if this is to one day be a thread that recounts my efforts to obtain one of these elusive silver beauties and my eventual success in doing so, as I hope it is, then I suppose I should keep it updated.

Last weekend I was up in the Dallas area for a family wedding, and I made a quick 200-mile roundtrip detour to check out a '73 Overlander in McKinney, Texas. I had high hopes for this unit, as the seller had indicated that it had new tires and brakes, and I thought that perhaps this indicated that its running gear might have been maintained.

The seller was a very nice guy, a carpenter and home-builder who had received the unit from his brother-in-law with the intent to fix it up. But he did not have the time, and decided to sell it. Unfortunately, shortly after his BIL dropped off the trailer, something around the house had fallen on it, creating a large and creased dent in one of the front exterior endcap panels. The tires didn't look particularly new, and the brakes didn't either. Most of the appliances and systems were present, but the LPG bottles had been stolen so there was no way to check the gas system. Also, the seller could not run power to the trailer, so there was no way to check the 110VAC system either. And there were no batteries, so no way to check the 12VDC system.

Overall, the trailer was in a state of some disrepair, with the rear bath being completely torn out, though I already knew this going in. The tambour doors were all broken and cracked as well. There was no flooring installed, so it was easy to see the condition of the subfloor, which was actually pretty solid. There was a small soft spot and hole by the door which seems to be fairly common from what I've read around here, and another soft spot and hole at the back of the unit, in the rear restroom, which also seems fairly common. Other than that, I could see and feel most of the rest of the floor, including the entire perimeter which I checked with my handy ice pick, and it was solid and okay.

The bellypan was in place so I couldn't really tell anything visually about the state of the frame.

Overall, it seemed more like a $1000 as-found trailer than the $3500 fixer that he was asking, though if all of the systems and appliances could be proven to work it might be worth closer to the asking price. I told the seller to give me a call if he wanted to consider coming down from his asking price, and off I went to the wedding.

Anyway, that's my most recent brush with aluminum. There will always be another one, as I keep telling myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #32
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
I blog a/b house and austin type stuff at austinmodhouse.com/blog this past week I blogged about my orange gnome friend.
We are in west lake hills if you want to stop by some time to see it.
I did find it on the dallas c-list
paul
Paul, do you know Thomas Bates?
You bet, would love to see it, pm me with your particulars & ditto, we live central.
Bill
Old 03-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hot100-- Congratulations and I hope everything went well with the baby.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
yikes in mckinney

that rig in mckinney sounds scary.

for my use, I avoid the units made after 1970. I can't stand the fake plastic wood that covers everything. as for appliances and systems, on any old trailer, even if they do work now, it may be a matter of time till something fails. a gas leak is no small affair.

I usually assume every system will need some work and expect to spend a few $k on electrical, gas and plumbing. and I look fwd to replacing fixtures so I can get my custom look.

already bought new sink and light fixtures for the new overlander. looking fwd to gutting the kitchen.

but for now it's out at camper clinic. I ordered a new intellipower and set out to replace it myself. but then it started popping the house breaker once plugged in... so I stopped there and just drug it to buda.

have my 70 safari here now. getting it ready for sale. will post some pics of it on the blog later today.

baby is still in the oven. hospital was not so keen on us going in on good friday/easter wknd. now scheduled for this friday.

paul
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
that rig in mckinney sounds scary.

for my use, I avoid the units made after 1970. I can't stand the fake plastic wood that covers everything. as for appliances and systems, on any old trailer, even if they do work now, it may be a matter of time till something fails. a gas leak is no small affair.

I usually assume every system will need some work and expect to spend a few $k on electrical, gas and plumbing. and I look fwd to replacing fixtures so I can get my custom look.

already bought new sink and light fixtures for the new overlander. looking fwd to gutting the kitchen.

but for now it's out at camper clinic. I ordered a new intellipower and set out to replace it myself. but then it started popping the house breaker once plugged in... so I stopped there and just drug it to buda.

have my 70 safari here now. getting it ready for sale. will post some pics of it on the blog later today.

baby is still in the oven. hospital was not so keen on us going in on good friday/easter wknd. now scheduled for this friday.

paul
Makes sense, then best wishes for Friday.

I took a look at your blog, it was very entertaining, and your children are adorable. I also really like your new home. As I mentioned before, I too am a big fan of modern design, and we're having our next home designed by an architect friend here in Austin who specializes in the style.

In fact, I'll most likely renovate a trailer in a modern style, which is why I don't mind the 70s-era trailers so much, because I'm likely going to yank all of that plastic out anyway.

(Don't worry purists, with the price-range I'm looking in, there probably won't be much salvageble from the interior cabinetry anyway).

I also like the teardrop trailer that you built, with the curved bamboo interior-- any chance you could tell me where you sourced that? I might be interested in using it as a future interior finish in my renovation.

Again, best wishes on Friday for the birth of your new baby.

-Marcus
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
bamboo

Marcus,

the curved bamboo is a veneer applied to 1/8 plywood (we used to call it luan board)

I've put up a few pics of the safari.

more here

Austin ModHouse: 1970 safari is for sale
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Your Safari is beautiful-- you sure you can't just fashion a bunk of some kind for the new child? Then you could sell me your new Overlander.

That floorplan is fantastic, it really makes great use of the space available. You should be able to fetch a great price for the unit when you're ready to sell. Do you plan on camping in it while you remodel your new one?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #38
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
So, I'll just have to keep repeating the Airforums mantra-- There's Always Another One...
Utee, think of it this way "There's Always the Right One". Don't get discouraged, the right one will appear.
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Felix (Renee?).

My head is up and I'm a happy camper (even if currently, I happen to be a tent camper rather than an Airstream camper ).
Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Marcus,

the curved bamboo is a veneer applied to 1/8 plywood (we used to call it luan board)

more here

Austin ModHouse: 1970 safari is for sale
that mod fabric would REALLY work in my '69 Safari~! is it still available somewhere??
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #41
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Quote:

Paul, Good work on the Safari - really looks great!
Bill
Old 03-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
that mod fabric would REALLY work in my '69 Safari~! is it still available somewhere??
Paul might be busy with his wife having a baby and all, but I did a quick check online and found some sites with some MCM fabrics:

This one ain't cheap:
Mid-Century Modern Collection J & O Fabrics: Categories

Prices seem better:
Mid Century Modern & Retro Fabrics @ winterbeachmodern.com

Expensive again...:
eamesfabric.com - girard, nelson, eames, panton, maharam, fabric, modern, textiles

And so on. Looks like there are several sources online, though I didn't check to see if they carry the exact one used on Paul's Safari.