Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thumbs up

-you already know more than most wannabe-vintage-owners, your research time has already paid off

-your attitude is also right on the money. patience will also pay dividends eventually

-I bought a $4K trailer that needs the amount of work I felt I could handle (and for a few other reasons, too much to go into) and am happy with the entire process so far, your experience may be even better. I think you're already ahead of the learning curve, just keep on moving forward

-good luck!

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Remember, it'll always be easier to buy the right trailer when you find it than it will be to sell the wrong trailer. Be patient, enjoy the hunt.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks to all for the information and support. I just got outbid on Ebay for a '65 Overlander that was relatively close by here in Texas. It was in pretty good shape, but the price got too high for what I felt comfortable paying.

So, I'll just have to keep repeating the Airforums mantra-- There's Always Another One...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
I just got outbid on Ebay for a '65 Overlander that was relatively close by here in Texas. It was in pretty good shape, but the price got too high for what I felt comfortable paying.
I agree, that one went for more than it is worth.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I agree, that one went for more than it is worth.
Thanks, it's nice to hear some confirmation from an AS Veteran.

On to the next one, then. Perhaps someday this thread will become the beginning of my own Full Monte Saga. It would be fun to document the whole thing here on the Forums. The one thing I know is that I WILL have one-- it just has to be the right one.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Thanks, it's nice to hear some confirmation from an AS Veteran.

On to the next one, then. Perhaps someday this thread will become the beginning of my own Full Monte Saga. It would be fun to document the whole thing here on the Forums. The one thing I know is that I WILL have one-- it just has to be the right one.
Would you be kind enough to document it in a blog too...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
bastrop

funny, I too went to the bastrop airstream place. I was there just today. I was a bit shocked to see the prices for rigs that needed floor replacement and gutted. $4500 and you could see sunlight coming in where the wall meets the floor.

I was planning to bid on that 65 overlander on ebay last night. somehow I spent a good bit of time at a friends house and several bottles of wine later... forgot all about the auction.

so, we are likely going to keep our eye open for a 64 overlander with twin beds and kitchen on the curbside.

we have a very nice 70 safaria restored in a mid century modern style, has a side bath so there are two seperate sleeping areas. will likely sell it soon. have third child on the way so need a few more feet and a larger bathroom w. tub

paul schuster
austinmodhouse.com
Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
funny, I too went to the bastrop airstream place. I was there just today. I was a bit shocked to see the prices for rigs that needed floor replacement and gutted. $4500 and you could see sunlight coming in where the wall meets the floor.

I was planning to bid on that 65 overlander on ebay last night. somehow I spent a good bit of time at a friends house and several bottles of wine later... forgot all about the auction.

so, we are likely going to keep our eye open for a 64 overlander with twin beds and kitchen on the curbside.

we have a very nice 70 safaria restored in a mid century modern style, has a side bath so there are two seperate sleeping areas. will likely sell it soon. have third child on the way so need a few more feet and a larger bathroom w. tub

paul schuster
austinmodhouse.com
Heh! I also had a couple of friends over, and many beers and a couple of bottles of cava almost convinced me to go well over my original limit! Good thing I'm still a "pragmatic" (read, "cheap") engineer at the core...

Congrats on the upcoming new addition to your family! We just had our first five months ago and it's the most amazing experience in my life. Good luck finding your trailer, perhaps we can work together rather than bidding each other out of various potential sales? I'd certainly appreciate your insights and experience as a veteran AS owner here in the ATX.

It looks like you sell modern properties here? I'm a huge fan of modern and MCM architecture-- it's nice too see more attention being paid to the style here in Austin in recent years. Anyway, best of luck, and I'll let you know of anything I see that might fit your needs.

Best,
-Marcus
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yup, I think I've got the aluminitus bug pretty bad. At night I dream about finding one hiding in some deserted rural barn, or wasting away in the carport of a 40s house inhabited by an elderly couple just waiting to unload it.

Every day I hear and read about each new AS owner, joyfully recounting the tales of how they unearthed their vintage treasures.

I cannot lie. My mother raised me better. Southern manners and all.

I'm jealous.

But, there will always be another one.

This is my daily mantra. This is my nightly consolation.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Hey there! Yes, it does seem that in the Austin area the prices of as found projects are off scale. I know I paid too much for my project...but ya only live once...or twice or so for my Hindu friends. I say several "as found" I posted in the sightings thread that were cool....but way over priced...but they aparantly sold.
OK folks, when did the torson axles come in and when were the old sping axles in place? Seems the beinfit of the spring axles is much lower cost for running gear...but a rougher ride.
The bigger the cheaper though, but then bigger rehap cost as well.
One warning for TX folks...watch out for paper work. Took e a year to get my title resolved due to PO's lack of attention.
From the big city of Bertram TX: Rob N Terry
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
found

I almost forgot a/b this thread.

anyhow, so I found a 68 overlander in fort worth.

I got it for 3500 and will assume most everything needs to be replaced. but that is what I wanted to do anyhow. I took it straight to discount tire and got new wheels/tires for the drag home. trip back to austin was uneventful.

have a new intellipower to replace the univolt soon, but I've been busy.

the PO did a few screwy things that I'll need to get creative on to undo. like when they removed the something that was mounted street side by the front window the holes were patched using soup can lids. I should take a pic of that.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Would you be kind enough to document it in a blog too...
You know, I've been thinking about doing just that. I'm in the midst of reconditioning my boat, including rebuilding the deck, so I should probably blog that one as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
I almost forgot a/b this thread.

anyhow, so I found a 68 overlander in fort worth.

I got it for 3500 and will assume most everything needs to be replaced. but that is what I wanted to do anyhow. I took it straight to discount tire and got new wheels/tires for the drag home. trip back to austin was uneventful.

have a new intellipower to replace the univolt soon, but I've been busy.

the PO did a few screwy things that I'll need to get creative on to undo. like when they removed the something that was mounted street side by the front window the holes were patched using soup can lids. I should take a pic of that.
Hey hot100, when did you pick it up? Is it the one that was listed on the Dallas Craigslist site recently? I'd be interested in looking at it sometime when you have a minute.

And soup can lids? You DEFINITELY have to post pics of that, that's awesome! I wonder if there is a thread on this site about screwy things that POs do? If not, you should start one.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Why'd he do that?

A year ago I suggested that we start a thread called "Why'd he do that?"
I was in response to all the screwy fixes I had come across in redoing my Caravels. Then I started reading about the other absolutely crazy "previous owner" improvements. The thread died but the discussions remain....Why'd he do THAT?