Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Why the price difference?

From my searching, on a new 25FB, there is a $8-$9k price difference between a flying cloud and a signature. Equipment seems to be identical. Is there any difference other than the interior laminate finishes color?
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
More profit as the model names increase just like Ford > Mercury > Lincoln where the running gear is the same and a few pieces of plastic make them look different.

Corian kitchen counter top in the International. Cabinet hinges and slides upgraded in International. Both lines got s bigger main TV and a second TV is now standard,

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Funny thing is there is much less difference in the 23 and 27 ft models between FC and CCD.Do you think it might be due to greed.....I mean popularity of the 25???
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
Funny thing is there is much less difference in the 23 and 27 ft models between FC and CCD.Do you think it might be due to greed.....I mean popularity of the 25???
Supply and Demand my friend.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post

Supply and Demand my friend.
That's what I said!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
That's what I said!
Indeed.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Well, after this last post we got word that our 2014 International CCD 25FB was on it's way.I really agonized over the difference going to the CCD over the FC.
We picked it up yesterday and all I can say is WOW! It was totally worth it. It's like a whole new world for us, and we wish the company wasn't coming so we could go camping now.
The smile on my wife's face was totally worth it .
This is the 3rd A/S and I'm sure the last,and all 3 bought at different dealers.
I have to say that I saved the best for last in many ways .
Midtown RV, and Glen Joneson made this purchase smooth from start to finish and if you are anywhere near BC Canada, I would highly recommend this new dealership.
George
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
You are correct, the Flying Cloud and International Signature and International Serenity have the same quality and feature level.

But...

The upper cabinets with the sliding doors and back lighting costs more on an International Signature and International Serenity than a Flying Cloud.

2014 International models have a Corian countertop in the galley, the Flying Cloud has Laminate.

The Ebony or Asian Sand laminate costs more by the sheet than the gold alchemy used on the Flying Cloud.

The International Signature and Serenity models have Ocean Air roller shades which cost over $100.00 each and the Flying Cloud has Aluminum Mini blinds valued at $40.00 each.

There are also more interior designer touches in the Internationals that increases their price.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Don't have to sell me, I'm sold.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
You are correct, the Flying Cloud and International Signature and International Serenity have the same quality and feature level.

But...

The upper cabinets with the sliding doors and back lighting costs more on an International Signature and International Serenity than a Flying Cloud.

2014 International models have a Corian countertop in the galley, the Flying Cloud has Laminate.

The Ebony or Asian Sand laminate costs more by the sheet than the gold alchemy used on the Flying Cloud.

The International Signature and Serenity models have Ocean Air roller shades which cost over $100.00 each and the Flying Cloud has Aluminum Mini blinds valued at $40.00 each.

There are also more interior designer touches in the Internationals that increases their price.
Too bad not all Airstream dealers have this level of knowledge. Excellent explanation. Thanks.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There seems to be a tremendous level of product ignorance today in all forms of sales. Many sales folks can hardly repeat the information on the price tag, let alone have detailed knowledge of the product they are presenting.

My walk through presenter knew less about my new Airstream than I did and I left the dealership and had to "discover" where things were located from folks on this forum. If I knew the questions to ask (this was my first ever RV purchase) I could have asked for the service or general manager to do the walk through and hopefully would have been better informed.

If a potential customer is underwhelmed by the sales person, ask for the sales manager and tell him/her why you are buying elsewhere because if the sales folks (the face of the business) lack the knowledge, then you are concerned the support folks are equally uninformed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
It's too true. Our first A/S the Bambi was dealt with in all aspects from sales to walk through with a high level of professionalism , but unfortunately the delivery was marred by the disappearance of our dog at an overnight stay on the way ,so I will admit I really wasn't listening.( we did go back and camp at the town till we found him 2 days later).
Our second, a 20 SE bought at a new A/S dealer who also sold SOB's was a handshake and a set of keys.
Our latest and I hope last CCD 25 FB was also from a new A/S dealer, Midtown RV who's other line is Newmar, so they know high end quality.
The delivery took over 4 hours and most of that was a very thorough walk through which touched on a couple of items I had never known about my last A/S's.
They also transferred over my Equali-I-zer and, not only set it up,but totally took it apart, cleaned it and repainted it. I thought they had given me a new one.
I didn't know what I had been missing in the other deliveries till I went through this one, and I used to sell Cadillacs and do my own thorough deliveries.
I can' say enough about this dealership.
George
Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We bought used because my wife loved the Serenity interior that we saw in this AS. I never could have rationalized the price difference, new. Having said that, we are very, very pleased with the Serenity interior upgrades.
But talk about crummy checkouts, we bought from a Winnebago dealer that took this AS in trade. To their credit, they did a decent walkthrough but I knew a whole lot more about Airstreams having browsed this forum and many of the Colonial videos. I am still learning by experience and this forum. I will never understand why salesmen of cars, RVs and boats do not learn more about the products they are trying to sell.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Larry, I think we are starting to get a bit off topic, but I will make a comment in defence of salespeople in that in your case , you had probably really studied all aspects of what you were looking for, but you bought it from a Winnibago dealer who probably didn't study as much as you.
After 30 years of selling cars and trucks I knew most there was to know about my product, but didn't always know everything about the SOB's I was selling. There was always the customer who knew a bit more about an off brand, and I didn't mind saying " I don't know, but I can find out".
I do expect that an A/S salesperson should know about his or her product, but I also respect " I don't know, but I will find out" from anybody.
George
Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
But...

roll up shades which cost over $100.00 each and the Flying Cloud has Aluminum Mini blinds valued at $40.00 each.

We hate the sliding doors in our LE EB and really prefer the ease of storage access and quantity afforded by the FC overhead bins; we miss the bins dearly. The back / diffused lighting is great for show, but decreases to nil when we put our comforter into the upper storage in the FB.

The roller shades are a nice touch, but wait until they malfunction and/ or need to be replaced. We like to store our EB with the shades down to prevent any sun fading, but are already noticing a decrease in roller tension.

I don't mean to rain, but merely express our observtions, too.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I love my Intl CCD. The light that plays off the aluminum interior is beautiful, but, oh, those roller shades! I have already replaced one of them due to the separation of the black out portion from the rest of the shade. I will be replacing two more shades before my warranty expires. They are expensive and were originally designed for boats. I have been very careful with them, but you MUST roll them absolutely straight into their cassettes or the edges fray very badly. The other issue is the sides of the trailer curve and the shade does not....thus you have a fair amount of light spilling through. (Has anyone figured out how this can be remedied??)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
But...

Yes good to bring out points of difference. I will add though that this Feb was at a show in FL and walked through a new International with white canvas curtains. I asked about it and was told, "some things have changed, by the sales guy standing in the unit. (It shocked me because I like those british roller shades and have those canvas ones just like I saw) but from what Babs says above, I guess nothing is perfect.

The differences really get fun when you consider the Safari line from about '03-08/09" I always shopped new before buying used and a Safari I had never heard of. Interestingly they have the padded ceiling and walls of the Classic, the lockers and cabinets of a Flying Cloud and the windows of a Sport. Crazy but that's one small part of what makes this a hobby right? - model info.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote