Old 11-02-2004, 06:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Terry and Mary for your very detailed and helpful replies. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

my first choice is a 74 and up Trade Wind or Caravan (latter perfered) but may go for Ambassador or Soviergn because of avaliablity and size.

Someone here had written that when calculating trailer weight ratings, you should add 1,000 lbs to it for extras. Is this an accurate assumption? example, Trade Wind: 4,400 + 1,000 = 5,400 towing weight.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #16
Craftsman

The quality of the 70's Airstreams seems to be very good ( contrary to what some have said about the Beatrice years) except for the cabinet work and over head bins.These seem to be cheaply made with paper laminates, plastic cabinet edges that warp and pull away and tambour doors instead of wood cabinet doors.Some like the tambour doors as they save space by not opening into the room, but because of material choice they don't seem to age well although there may be exceptions. They seem to offer most everything that the newer Airstream offer(with a few exceptions) at an excellent price.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:21 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which Airstream to Buy?

Greetings BrianWSNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWSNC
Thank you Terry and Mary for your very detailed and helpful replies. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

my first choice is a 74 and up Trade Wind or Caravan (latter perfered) but may go for Ambassador or Soviergn because of avaliablity and size.

Someone here had written that when calculating trailer weight ratings, you should add 1,000 lbs to it for extras. Is this an accurate assumption? example, Trade Wind: 4,400 + 1,000 = 5,400 towing weight.
One thousand pounds sounds like quite an addition, but in reality may be less than most actually carry. I know that the empty weight on my '64 Overlander is 4,440 pounds (the factory empty weight was 3,930 pounds - - before options were added) with a gross weight of 6,100 pounds when it is fully loaded for an extended vacation (6+weeks). What you need to remember is that the published empty weights do not include options, fresh water, LP gas, and other personal possessions that are carried in the coach. While some advise limiting the amount of fresh water carried, I find that my coaches ride MUCH better with a full fresh water tank (especially the Minuet with its front water tank that is mounted just below the front window).

When looking at a realistic trailer tow limit for your tow vehicle, I would suggest an 80% of factory trailer tow rating for the maximum gross trailer weight to be towed. The biggest factor in ordering my current '99 K2500 Suburban was the inadequacy of my '95 K1500 Z-71 Club Cab pickup which was loaded to more than 90% of its trailer tow capacity (6,500 pounds) and was within a few precious pounds of being over its Gross Combined Weight Rating when towing my '64 Overlander at 6,100 pounds Gross Weight - - the K1500 was down to less than 20 MPH in first gear going through the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 in Colorado with the Overlander.

Good luck with your research and search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

got one

Ok folks. I know it's been a few years since this post, but Here's the update:

I bought a 29 foot Ambassdor and loved it. It was in great shape and beautiful in side. I took it to WV for almost 3 years where me and my son and my friends would go and ride ATVs all year round. I used it aprox 2 times a month, every month.

then in Sept of this year (2007) my son was riding with his buddies, he's 20. and he had a wreck. He had to have a rod placed in his broken femur and is still walking on crutchs 3+ months later.

I brought the camper home, and sold it last week. I will miss it, but until he gets well and things pan out at home, we are going to be out of the ATV riding and camping life for now.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #19
_

. , .
wow brian, that is quite the update...

here's to hoping your son heals up and gets back into action.

there is another twinkie in your future.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Replacing the awning