Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
When selling your used Airstream...

or anything else always get a non-refundable deposit after making a deal. Even if it's on the phone, make them either send or hand you a deposit. Had a couple look at my trailer last week, they liked it and said they would call. Called the next day and we agreed on a price. They were going to pick it up a few days later. Faxed copy of title to them, made sure their truck was properly equipped, then I got an email the morning of pickup that said the NADA value wasn't close enough to the purchase price and they had to back out. We already discussed how the NADA value has no relevance to used Airstreams. I wasted a week telling potential buyers that I had a deal. Big mistake! Thinking about trading it in to avoid more aggravation.

Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Getahobby View Post
…always get a non-refundable deposit after making a deal. Even if it's on the phone, make them either send or hand you a deposit.
If it's after making the deal, that's not a deposit, it's a down payment. A non-refundable deposit before the deal will only scare off otherwise interested potential buyers who are still shopping around and haven't made up their minds that your trailer is the one that they want.

But if you still want to require a deposit, keep the dollar value small and set a time limit. For example, the deposit takes the trailer off the market to anyone else for one month. If the deal isn't concluded in that time, the deposit is forfeit and the trailer goes back on the market. If the deal is concluded in the allotted time, the amount of the deposit will be applied to the purchase price. For the buyer, the deposit serves as a guarantee of exclusive negotiating privleges, so he gets something in exchange for the money he's paying.

A fair dollar value of the deposit would be the cost of any paperwork processing you would incur to pursue the sale, and just enough more to cover the expenses of re-advertising the trailer for sale if the buyer backs out. No need to be greedy.

More to the point if you don't get a deposit to reserve the trailer, you shouldn't tell other potential buyers it's sold until you actually have cash in hand. And in all fairness, in that case you should also tell the potential buyer that it's remaining on the market until the sale is final.

That works to your advantage in another way… When selling, you're more likely to get the price you're seeking if the prospective buyer knows that there are others interested in buying as well and he has to offer a better price than the next guy.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I always tell folks that the item will remain on the market until I receive a down payment. I've had too many people say they are interested only to back out.

On the flip side, I expect to put in a down payment for an item I am interested in and also to communicate when I expect to have the balance as well as a pick up time. If there is any issue that arises, I immediately communicate with the seller.
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Cash in hand gets the deal done ... otherwise everyone is setting up for disappointment.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
You could avoid the whole thing by taking it to a dealer and have them sell it on consignment. Usually, for a small fee or whatever they can get above the price you want for your unit.
My dealer sold my old stream in a few days and I got a check for what I wanted from it.
No fuss, no muss!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Yup! Money talks, b_ _ _ s _ _ _ walks!
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
First one with cash in my hand is the proud new owner/buyer.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
There is no deal until a deposit (or down payment) changes hands.

If I have something for sale I don't consider it sold until I have a deposit, in cash. I will give the buyer a receipt stating the amount paid, the full price or balance, and the TIME they have to complete the deal. I also put on there, that the deposit is not refundable.

Depending on the circumstances, the deposit would be $100 minimum, more for a high priced item.

If they do not follow through the deposit pays for my wasted time and advertising and general inconvenience.

I do the SAME THING when I buy, pay a deposit, get a receipt, and state a time when I will pick up the vehicle.

Then show up a day or 2 early so they don't have time to strip it.

(whenever possible I will pay cash and take delivery on the spot)

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote