Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Virgin , Utah
What to do .... advice requested...

I have a '73 Land yacht 21' - I have put in a new furnace, water pump, a/c roof mounted, breaker box and 12v controller, water heater - it has new axles and drums and brakes etc ...and we have had a couple of good seasons out and about. It looks pretty nice from the outside but inside the floor around the sink was rotted so I decided to pull out the none functioning range and rebuild that entire side and cabinets. However, under the floor was the dreaded sag crack at the rear of the wheel well ... the metal all looks to be sound with normal surface rust. The crack is rusted and stable - no new metal fatigue so I think its been there quite a while.

So now I am in quandary - do an extensive job gutting and starting over - shell off even .... and I really don't have time or $ for such an extensive project - well right now... or fix that side...
Sell ? well it is clear that the buyer is taking on a major project that would be rewarding - but what would I ask as a price ? I am in Southern Utah by Zion NP if you want to come look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 004.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	176477   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 007.jpg
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	176478  

Name:	airstream 006.jpg
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	176479  

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You have a very desirable Airstream (because of its length). I know it's a shocker to discover this kind of frame damage, but don't sell yourself short.
(For others who may read this thread, this is why we recommend doing a restoration in sequence with stopping H2O leaks and repairing frame and floor damage early in the sequence so we don't invest a bunch of time and money in renovations that must be undone.)
Let's see what Zeppelinium and the others say. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you can only fix this with a frame-off restoration.
If you really want to sell, more pictures would be nice.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I assume you put your new axles on without taking down the belly pan. Othewise you would have easily seen this crack at that time. Right? I am looking at the top photo correctly, the inside face of the brake drum and the adjacent frame?

I don't think you have any choice but to repair this. It really shouldn't be that hard, if you do a local repair. Sistering in a new web and upper flange (inside the "C" frame) should bring it back up to full strength.

If this crack hasn't been growing during your travels, your tail end must be lightly loaded. That begs the question, what caused this?

Zep

(Ken, how did you know I was writing as you put up your post?)
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you want to continue to use the trailer. I would find a local weld shop and have a gusset welded in. If the shop has a brake capable of bending 12 gage. Have them form it to a "C" or at least an "L" at least 12" long. Have it clamped into place, supporting the broken frame in it's original shape. Then weld it on.
Then do the floor repair. I would check the opposite side of the frame for similar damage.
If this trailer has a torsion axle. It may be worn out and ridged. Which may be the reason the frame broke.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Spooky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

(Ken, how did you know I was writing as you put up your post?)
Actually, I just looked at the WX report and knew you wouldn't be outside working on an Airstream. I also knew you wouldn't be able to resist a question about frame repair.
I'm also thinking I could buy it if you'll do the frame repair for me. I'll go to Utah and pick it up and drop it off at your place in Colorado. Then, you can bring it down when you come to Balloon Fiesta. Voila! I've always wanted a 21.'
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
...I'm also thinking I could buy it ... I've always wanted a 21.'
LOL. yes, the weather here is blustery today.

You better get to Utah before me. However, I'm sure Marty would put a lock on my bank account if I bought a 21' to keep my two Safaris company (and the big guys, too).

Zep
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you want to continue to use the trailer. I would find a local weld shop and have a gusset welded in. If the shop has a brake capable of bending 12 gage. Have them form it to a "C" or at least an "L" at least 12" long. Have it clamped into place, supporting the broken frame in it's original shape. Then weld it on.
Then do the floor repair. I would check the opposite side of the frame for similar damage.
If this trailer has a torsion axle. It may be worn out and ridged. Which may be the reason the frame broke.

This advice is right on. I had frame repairs done by a welder when I did the front half of the floor in the Caravel. It wasn't very expensive, and I had the floor out already. I didn't do a shell off, just removed the front half to repair the rotten spots. Then put it back together and enjoy. That's a neat little trailer you've got, they're hard to find in that size! It's well worth the trouble.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Virgin , Utah
Thanks for the feed back and reassurance - exactly what forums like this can be for ;-)

To answer a few questions...the axle was put in before I bought it by a PO - there is side plate welded to the C section extending the length of the wheel well (I assume not original) - but the plate is "lightened" with round holes so is compromised in strength I suspect and is cracked through as well (1/8 thick perhaps)
The black waste tank is missing and there is a recirculating toilet installed - so perhaps when it first failed that is one way they sought the lighten the rear end.
Steve
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
some of us call that side plate a "fish plate." I have no clue. But it is original, including the holes. z
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Virgin , Utah
OK I just went out and looked a little more closely - I can now see that that plate (fish plate) is on the other side too and quite clearly its part of the original structure - thanks for that clarity - my mistake. Secondly there appears to be no crack on the other side - but that is just by peering up lying in the dirt, but nothing leaps out. Will look more closely later.

By lying in the cold dirt I also spotted a plated welded across the crack at the bottom - maybe 1/4" thick, 10" long and 1" wide... that clearly has held crack from spreading, but is a woefully inadequate repair - so perhaps things are not as bleak as they first appear.

One other issue - the shell has moved out perhaps ~ 1", perhaps because the floor rotted and there was nothing to hold it ....the channel by the door has actually slipped off the frame out rigger (if thats' the right expression) , so any repair to the main chassis will have to incorporate returning the shell to its correct position...(hope this is not silly question) - does the body shell sit on top of the floor or does the floor butt to the channel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as 001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	176495   Click image for larger version

Name:	as 002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	176496  

Name:	as 003.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	176497  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Shell sits on top of the flooring.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Be sure to find a good welder who knows what he is doing. Mending plates should not be welded all the way around their perimeter. A good welder will know this and only weld in such a way that each weld has a purpose. Bubba will weld all four sides of the mending plate, and the welds will fail.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's called "Stitch Weld". Each weld about an inch long and spaced at least 2" apart. A good welder will know this.