Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents

Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's kind of fuzzy this morning, but didn't the Feds enact some kind of law that made it a criminal offense to carry around huge amounts of cash? Something about drug money, and racketeering.
I am not aware of any such law. Cash is still king. However banks are required by law (or IRS regulation) to report all cash deposits made in a single day (and possibly withdrawals) in excess of $10,000.00. Also, although not relevant here, you must declare any cash in excess of $10 K coming into or leaving the USA to Customs .

I also agree with the bank-to-bank transfer is the safest and surest way to transfer funds. Once it's in your account it's yours.

I bought mine for cash but I knew the seller so I had no problem with it.

As far as tax liability is concerned - I am not an accountant but generally speaking if you sell something for more than you paid then the profit is taxable. BUT you may be able to deduct some if not all of your expenses.
If this is the case consult your accountant.

"Mister Mike", Chief Engineer, Amateur Radio Station W1RC
Founder and Benevolent Dictator, New England Amateur Radio Festival, (aka NEAR-Fest),
At the Beautiful Deerfield NH Fairgrounds (Next one October 11th and 12th 2013)
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote