Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #29
TinCan
 
graysailor's Avatar

 
2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 798
In 1967 I bought a new Corvette. $4800.00 out the door. Can't recall what the payments were but essentially gave it away in '70 for $2000.00. Could not afford the insurance.
__________________

__________________
TinCan
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Mexray's Avatar
 
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,583
In a recent video interview, Bob Wheeler (AS CEO) said AS is increasing marketing effort toward luxury buyers with exposure in more places than traditional RV venues...in as much saying that AS's elevated pricing has limited it's sales with traditional RV buyers...

AS's can't build enough of em' currently to match demand...Raising prices is taking advantage of this market - profit while you can...!
__________________

__________________
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
 
cdmagda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 100
Images: 51
Basics are best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Yes, but consider this: I went through a fast food drive-thru where in 2007 I used to get a 3 piece chicken dinner with two sides and a small soft drink for $5.50. Today the same thing cost $8.75. Local prepared food tax went up from 8% to 11% in that time, the rest is mostly accounted for in increases to wages - for the suppliers of the food, transporters, deliverers, and cooks and servers. The corporate franchisers are also raking it in too.

Moral - inflation isn't a mild benign thing... and we're on our way to post WWI German inflation if we just keep raising the debt and funding ever more grandiose government programs with non-existant income.

Paula
I like older, basic vehicles, I just rebuild the drive train when needed. Yea, I agree with you on that grandiose government program, the Military Industrial Complex is killing us...makes the rest of government spending paltry by comparison.
__________________
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmagda View Post
Yea, I agree with you on that grandiose government program, the Military Industrial Complex is killing us...makes the rest of government spending paltry by comparison.
That sure came out of the blue! No one on any prior post on this thread mentioned the Military Industrial Complex, only "grandiose government programs."

So what are the gradiose government programs, really? You would be surprised. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the breakdown of the Federal budget in 2012 went like this:
22% Social Security, which I'm sure a significant fraction of Airstream owners draw.
21% Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Again, many Airstream owners benefit from this.
19% Defense and "International Security Assistance"— i.e. what in the days of Woodrow Wilson would have been called "Foreign Adventurism." But I'm one to talk, since I work for DoD.
12% so-called "Safety Net Programs" such as the oxymoronic Earned Income Tax Credit for people who earn just enough income to not qualify for direct handouts.
7% Benefits for Federal Retirees and Veterans. Which will include me starting next year. Interestingly enough, the old Civil Service Retirement System, which I still fall under, is self-sustaining, the way Social Security was pre-Nixon. Most of this 7% goes to veterans, and I don't begrudge that.
6% Interest on the national debt
3% Transportation infrastructure. Waterways, highways, rail, air.
2% science and medical research. Which happens to include NASA under the "science" part, by the way.
1% International humanitarian aid such as earthquake and tsunami relief.
7% everything else
Not meant as a political statement, just a bunch of statistics, to hopefully defuse a previous political statement.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #33
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
What Happened to Prices ?

As far as I'm concerned, the real sticker shock is the sales tax burden over the years. In some cases dependent upon what you are buying and at what location in our metro area, the burden is quite noticeable. For example visit an eating establishment in downtown St. Louis and be prepared to see almost 11% to be added on for sales taxes. Buy any kind of motor vehicle, boat, or towable and be prepared to write a check for 7%+ for sales tax at registration time.


Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,344
I want a truck with all of the bells and whistles. We love our Lariat, aside from the lack of seat heaters (and its annoying tendency to blow coolant...but we may have that fixed).

I'm on vacation. I want to be comfortable. I want to drive a vehicle I enjoy driving, because I'm going to be spending much of my most precious time (vacation!) in it. Why should I have to suffer with a vehicle that has few comfort features while I'm on vacation? (Clearly, I'm pretty picky about cars.)

That said, $55K is a LOT to spend on a vehicle, especially when our current truck accumulated less than 20,000 miles over 2.5 years. We bought our truck used for a lot less. We'll go new, but we may lease the next one if it's significantly cheaper to do that. For now, we plan to keep ours for at least another 7 or 8 years (and add seat heaters).
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #35
Moderator
 
blmitch5's Avatar

 
2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,221
Images: 1
Here is an article about Airstreams record sales growth. It was said earlier but supply and demand is everything.

http://info.airstream.com/stories/bi...ontent=4024837
__________________
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,428
I get the feeling that this is supply/demand with a twist. Airstream seems to have oriented itself to appeal to niche-market status involving high quality and historical status, and part of that business plan included raising prices above merely keeping up with inflation. The plan has worked out very, very well for them, and I congratulate them for their success!

Of course, I'm speculating about their business plan, but my gut-feel hunch is that I'm right about it. And given the success of this presumed business plan, would anybody reasonably expect them to lower their prices? Not on your life!


Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #37
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Of course, I'm speculating about their business plan, but my gut-feel hunch is that I'm right about it. And given the success of this presumed business plan, would anybody reasonably expect them to lower their prices? Not on your life!
It's a reasonable speculation, as it allows Airstream to avoid competing with other THOR brands that fill other niches. It would be bad business for Airstream to compete with THOR's other travel trailers such as Coleman for the same market share.

It's the same philosophy that General Motors uses to justify keeping Cadillac as a separate marque from Chevrolet and Buick, each marque targeting a different segment of the market. And it's one reason why Chrysler kept Dodge but got rid of Plymouth, because they both targeted the same market segment and led to internal competition where sales of one hurt sales of the other.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
 
cdmagda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 100
Images: 51
Out of the blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That sure came out of the blue! No one on any prior post on this thread mentioned the Military Industrial Complex, only "grandiose government programs."

So what are the gradiose government programs, really? You would be surprised. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the breakdown of the Federal budget in 2012 went like this:
22% Social Security, which I'm sure a significant fraction of Airstream owners draw.
21% Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Again, many Airstream owners benefit from this.
19% Defense and "International Security Assistance"— i.e. what in the days of Woodrow Wilson would have been called "Foreign Adventurism." But I'm one to talk, since I work for DoD.
12% so-called "Safety Net Programs" such as the oxymoronic Earned Income Tax Credit for people who earn just enough income to not qualify for direct handouts.
7% Benefits for Federal Retirees and Veterans. Which will include me starting next year. Interestingly enough, the old Civil Service Retirement System, which I still fall under, is self-sustaining, the way Social Security was pre-Nixon. Most of this 7% goes to veterans, and I don't begrudge that.
6% Interest on the national debt
3% Transportation infrastructure. Waterways, highways, rail, air.
2% science and medical research. Which happens to include NASA under the "science" part, by the way.
1% International humanitarian aid such as earthquake and tsunami relief.
7% everything else
Not meant as a political statement, just a bunch of statistics, to hopefully defuse a previous political statement.
If I could afford it, the Toyota Land Cruiser would be my pick for TV. I put 289,000 mi on it before retiring the old goat.

What other " grandiouse government program" more than doubled since 2001?
Defence spending 2001: 0.37 trillion
2013: 0.82 trillion
Not meant as a political statement, just a bunch of statistics.
__________________
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmagda View Post
What other " grandiouse government program" more than doubled since 2001?
Defence spending 2001: 0.37 trillion
2013: 0.82 trillion
C'est la guerre. Literally.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
 
Tucumcari's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Capitan , New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 27
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Smile Manual for 1968 Trade Wind Airstream

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for a 25 foot Land Yacht? Please contact me.
__________________
Tucumcari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member
 
cdmagda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 100
Images: 51
Peace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
C'est la guerre. Literally.
Telle est empire
__________________
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmagda View Post
Telle est empire
Unsubscribing now. Politics is creeping in after all. Bye!
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prices seem to be up lately perryg114 Trailer Values 9 10-31-2011 06:53 PM
A funny thing happened on the way to the farmer's market GinMame Member Introductions 23 09-21-2011 02:57 AM
Solar Panel Prices Dropping tbro Generators & Solar Power 11 03-30-2011 09:21 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.