Old 11-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
West or South

I'll be ready to sell my renovated AS within a few months. I'll be moving from Florida to California. Would the price difference make it worth my expense to tow it & sell it out West, or just sell it in Florida? It seems they're more valuable out West than in the Southern states. Anybody have an educated guess?Thanks ��

Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
My first thought would be to sell it out west if you honestly think you can get significantly more dollars. However, there may be some other issues to consider in addition to the selling price.

Be sure the state you are moving to (California I think you said) doesn't have laws relating to the sale of vehicles that would offset or significantly reduce the potentially higher sale price. For instance, some states require vehicles to be titled within 90 days of moving. If you find yourself required to buy insurance, change titles, pay ad valorem taxes, etc. in a new state that may negate any benefit of a higher selling price. What about storage in the new state? If you don't sell it quickly can you park it on your property or will you need to pay for storage? There probably are lots of other items to consider and they may point toward selling it in Florida and traveling more lightly to California.

Maybe you advertise the trailer for sale while in Florida and the buyer pays a delivery charge if they are not local. You can then "deliver" the trailer to anyone along the route from Florida to California.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It would help if you had posted some pictures of your trailer.

When you renovated your AS, did you keep the Airstream theme and feel of the trailer, or did you go all out with your design desires, (pink walls, purple counter tops, orange cabinets and green shag flooring)? It may not matter where you sell it.

When you renovated your AS did you make sure to keep to a scientific weight distribution and known tongue weight, or did you just fire stuff in through the door willy nilly creating a trailer that is untowable? That could also affect you decision to leave it as is, where is, or tow it across the nation.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
It would help if you had posted some pictures of your trailer.

When you renovated your AS, did you keep the Airstream theme and feel of the trailer, or did you go all out with your design desires, (pink walls, purple counter tops, orange cabinets and green shag flooring)? It may not matter where you sell it.

When you renovated your AS did you make sure to keep to a scientific weight distribution and known tongue weight, or did you just fire stuff in through the door willy nilly creating a trailer that is untowable? That could also affect you decision to leave it as is, where is, or tow it across the nation.

Cheers
Tony
Great response to the op. Much useful info. So many people go overboard with renos and make them not sale able.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
I'll be ready to sell my renovated AS within a few months. I'll be moving from Florida to California. Would the price difference make it worth my expense to tow it & sell it out West, or just sell it in Florida? It seems they're more valuable out West than in the Southern states. Anybody have an educated guess?Thanks ��

I looked back at your avatar to notice it indicates a 1990, 34' Excella. Is that the trailer you renovated? If so, what sort of renovations did it need? Our 1992, 29' Excella has been upgraded here and there but it hardly needs a renovation.

If it's the 34' you're selling be aware they don't necessarily command a high price regardless of equipment and condition. There was a recent thread regarding a very unusual/collectible 34' trailer that is a few years newer than yours and I think the seller might have received something in the mid-teens $ for the rig. The long trailers are not for everyone - 22 to 27' is in the sweet spot - anything longer and the number of buyers may be limited. Snow birds in Florida may be your best bet and they will be arriving soon.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I haven't altered the weight distribution, nor have I installed any bizarre color schemes to to interior. I have updated the oak cabinets with chalk paint, rearranged the dinette to l-shape, reupholstered the dinette seats & the goucho in a neutral color, installed new counter tops & sinks, hardwood floors, new A/Cs & water heater. All new plumbing connections with brass sharkbite connectors, polished the exterior & many other upgrades. No simple task. A 1990 needs lots of upgrades. It will make a wonderful airbnb for someone. It's extremely comfortable & stylist. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Having bought and sold three trailers, where you list/sell your trailer only matters to the buyer who has to come see/buy it. Finding a buyer that wants your trailer and is willing to pay your price is the hard part...but fortunately they can be found nationwide, if you're patient.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
I haven't altered the weight distribution, nor have I installed any bizarre color schemes to to interior. I have updated the oak cabinets with chalk paint, rearranged the dinette to l-shape, reupholstered the dinette seats & the goucho in a neutral color, installed new counter tops & sinks, hardwood floors, new A/Cs & water heater. All new plumbing connections with brass sharkbite connectors, polished the exterior & many other upgrades. No simple task. A 1990 needs lots of upgrades. It will make a wonderful airbnb for someone. It's extremely comfortable & stylist. Thanks for the comments.
Fantastic, however one tip.......IMHO just say you have upgraded the plumbing period, as with Sharkbite fittings there are people that swear by them, and people that swear at them; either way they are no where near as good as Wirsbo/Uponer expandable Pex A plumbing fitting system.

Goodluck with your decision.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
You know what they say about opinions 😂😂😂I couldn't be happier with my choice. But, thanks. After spending hundreds of dollars & working my ass off, someone comes along with a negative remark. Isn't that just typical? Merry Christmas negativity!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree with Tony. He is just trying to help you with his comment. No need to jump on him just because you don't like something he said.

Dan
Old 11-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
You know what they say about opinions 😂😂😂I couldn't be happier with my choice. But, thanks. After spending hundreds of dollars & working my ass off, someone comes along with a negative remark. Isn't that just typical? Merry Christmas negativity!
I am sorry if I offended you, as that was not my intention. Yes, I'm blunt, a positive and a failing all at the same time (comes from being British). I forget it is difficult to interpret tone and intention from reading text messages.

I have no doubt you spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours working to make your investment better as I have mine. I wish you all the best.

Please accept my sincere apology.
Cheers
Tony

Old 11-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #12
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
No problem Tony. It was just a mute point. Appreciate ya!