Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
We are headed to West Africa (Senegal then Morocco). The kids will be in an international school that teaches in English, though we all will need to learn French and Woloof (The local language). I am going to start a blog on Blogger and put a link on my profile. We are really excited.

I got a quote from CarCraft for the custom cover for the tradewind using their weatherproof material.... 1001.00 with an additional 27.50 for shipping. Yes, 1000 dollars . I though, quite naively, that maybe it would cost 300. That's an eye opener. Suddenly a tarp from Home depot doesn't sound that bad.

2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I grew up with a '66 Travelall just like the one in the pics. Boy, does that bring back memories. I learned to drive on it and took it on many adventures and it had the scars to prove it. We never did repair the back seat upholstery after the bear broke in.

2333, I'm new to the forum so I'm saying goodbye before I've even had a chance to say hello. I wish you well in your upcoming adventures. I'd love to hear updates.

I'm glad you're able to the Tradewind, if only to keep your options open for after your sojourn.

webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts

My aunt and uncle volunteered just outside of Ziguinchor, Senegal for several years. He was in the Peace Corps and Army Corps of engineers at various times, so it was with one of those organizations.

They had very fond memories and were very well accepted. I remember that my grandmother travelled by herself to see them and loved the trip.

I hope your time is as enjoyable and as rewarding as theirs.

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Oh, yea

... almost forgot.

After doing that work myself, I can't imagine selling!

Glad you're keeping it.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Bravo!! Both for your selfless journey and your decision to keep the trailer, I think your path will be rewarded. Now please tell us you're still gonna have that Ghia convertible when you get back...right?

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote