Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bought mine in Michigan. Drove up from South Mississippi with cash in hand. Fellow that bought my old trailer drove from Dallas with cash in hand. I told him cash only, he had no problem with that. Within reason I would not do it any other way.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. pu from local farmer gave $5000 earnest money on Fri. told him would pick next week w/cash. He drove pu that weekend over 500 miles. I went Mon. to pick up truck we met at bank as teller was getting cash ready he made remark to teller does he have enough money in act. to pay. This a total slap in face such as driving miles and making remark about my finances, plus I pd. top $ for truck, I should have walked away as there were other issues with, such as cutting wiring harness out & keeping some things then outright lying about it, and some derogatory remarks after title handed over, so buyer beware of these kind of so called honest people.

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I ask the question in earnest if you are selling the trailer yourself no dealer or 3rd party, what does the deposit do? Cask, check whatever. So you take a deposit and few days or a week later he backs out. In this time someone else wants to buy and they have the funds to complete the deal, what do you do.

Personally I would not take a deposit, the first person with the funds to close the deal is the new owner. My thoughts.
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Athens , Alabama
If you are going with cash.....beware! Recent transation for 20k was satisfied with counterfeit money. Lesson, meet at a bank and have them certifie the cash...
Bobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
South Hero , Vermont
Not everybody is "shady". We found an AS we wanted 1000 miles away in November. I talked to the seller many times and felt comfortable to send him the full payment after using this forum to find an inspector. We got the title as soon as our check cleared and registered it before picking it up months later. (no rv needed in Vermont in the winter&#128515. You can do well to talk to somebody on the phone and not rely on email.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1990 25' Excella
Vancouver , British Columbia
I bought my Airstream from a dealer (Can Am, which I found out later is a very well respected dealer and has customers from all across Canada and the US). But, I think buying from an RV dealer, especially an Airstream RV dealer is a safe bet. Of course, sometimes there might be a good deal or just the right year and model you are looking for from a private seller.

For my own peace of mind, and to make sure the seller's mind is at ease, I would offer to go to the bank with him or her and get cash, or certified check/cashier's check in the bank, or if they also have an account there, the money can be transferred to their account. I've done this once. Another time I sold my old Toyota Land Cruiser to a guy from Alabama, when I was living in Montreal. I figured if he came from that far away, he must be serious but I still called his bank to verify the cashier's check was good.

As for leaving the vehicle or trailer for sale when you have a deposit... I don't know. If I were the buyer, I'd be pretty upset if I left a deposit and came back a day or two later with the balance of the money or a cashier's check and found the seller sold to someone else. Maybe keep advertising it, and if someone else calls, say there's a deposit on it, but if it falls through, you are the next one in line. Once I had an SUV for sale. A guy really wanted to buy it. I think I was asking $5000 for it and wanted a $500 deposit. He only had $200 cash, so I took that for a deposit, turning away potential buyers. It was at a car show, so a good crowd to sell to. After the car show, he changed his mind. I told him I'm keeping his $200 deposit and he did not even argue about it. I would have rather he completed the sale, because, although I eventually sold the SUV a few weeks later, I was only able to get about $4000 for it. I forget the exact amount, but it was less than what I would have got originally, and the deposit I kept from the first guy did not cover the shortfall.
1990 Airstream Excella 25 Double
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L with the Can-Am Special Hitch
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Warning for those selling your Airstream

You do have to be careful; I just went through some strangeness selling my two scooters. People play games, lead you on and frankly are not honest. I finally decided to let them play their games but in the end, at transaction time, I call the shots. Cash, transfer of title, delivery, etc. in my state the tags are the owner's and do not go with the vehicle. They got all huffy when I took the tags off. "How am I supposed to ride it home," and I replied that is your choice. Know the process in you state when you sell and keep your business head.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Large dollar transactions

As there are many folks who will attempt to possibly cheat a buyer or seller, when selling anything over a couple thousand dollars, the transaction always occurs at my bank. When presented with a cashier's check or any other apparently guaranteed paper, my bank does a confirmation so as to prevent the possibility that the certified instrument is fake.

Several years ago while selling some motorcycles, I had multiple buyers who wanted to send me a certified check for a few thousand more than I was asking, have me ship the bike, then send them a money order for the overpayment after shipping costs were deducted.

As the certified checks were all bogus, I had in my possession about $50,000 worth of useless paper. Some of the errors on the checks were incorrect phone numbers (usually a cell phone in the DC area), incorrect spellings on the check, and lack of watermark in spite of a warning about this.

Today, if someone wants to pay with cash, the transaction still occurs at my bank. That assures i am not holding several thousands of dollars in the presence of strangers. Also, as counterfeit currency is mostly in large denominations the bank can check this as well.

If a private purchaser is not comfortable with my venue for the transaction, I am not going to proceed. I always make the arrangements prior to their arrival and the buyer is aware of what is to transpire.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I bought my truck long distance. I mailed a personal check for a deposit which the seller held ( not a dealer ) I expected him to cash the check but he decided to hold it. A few weeks later my son and I flew out to St. Louis to pick up the truck and hand over a bank check for the full amount and he handed my deposit check back. This was OK because we were both straight shooters. However since it was a Saturday and my east coast bank was closed his local bank could not confirm my bank check due to time zones. So he held on to the Missouri title until my bank check cleared but did turn the truck over to me. All ended well here on Monday when the banks got together but I had brought a dealer license plate with me and we took the truck on Saturday and headed home. Title came later in the mail so all ends well when honest people get together but just because you have a bank check it's still not a sure thing until it clears through both banks. Long distance transactions are a risk these days so we need to watch ourselves so as to not get scammed.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote