Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Cocoa , Fl
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Want to sell our airstream

Want ideas on how to sell, do not want to get caught in a scam. Have had calls from RV daily wanting to sell it for us. Are they reputable? Has anyone used them or suggestions
__________________

Mamasmurf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,013
Use the classifieds here via the grey tab above. You have to register, but I think the same ID and P/W will work.

Folks looking for an Airstream will look here first usually. At other sites you may run into the objection that your price is too high, compared to other brands. Here that is not common.

Be careful with all replies. If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is!



Good luck,

Peter
__________________

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,989
Images: 12
The only limitation to the Classified section here is how few pictures you can post.


I would suggest you take many additional pictures and have them ready in a e mailable file. Make not of those additional pictures in your listing so interested parties can get to them ASAP.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
New Member
 
Woodbine , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Or post them to a google drive
Pluffmud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Stay Calm and Stream On
 
HHPJ's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 163
Here is a great article on RV buying and selling scams out there. Amazing what people do to take your stuff.
This is a big one:

"Cashier’s Checks – avoid accepting payment by cashier’s check, or at least talk to your bank about the issue first. Although your bank may accept the deposit, it may take 30 days for the check to clear. If it fails to clear the buyer may already be long gone with your item, or if you had sent money to the buyer’s “agent” as above, you’ll be out for whatever amount you sent. Here is the FDIC warning on this issue, and an alert from the FTC."

More info here:

https://www.rvt.com/fraud.php

Good luck!
__________________
Stay Calm and Stream On!
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf50 View Post
Want ideas on how to sell, do not want to get caught in a scam. Have had calls from RV daily wanting to sell it for us. Are they reputable? Has anyone used them or suggestions
If you want to be involved in the daily phone calls, showing the trailer, haggling price then sell the trailer yourself.
RV Trader, Craigslist, want ads, classifieds on this forum, etc. work fine IF you do it right.

If it was me, selling myself, I would have some parameters of my own...
If the person can't physically come to see the trailer in person, so I know it is a real legitimate buyer, then they can't buy it.
If they can't come pay AT THE BANK to transfer title upon full payment, preferably cash in hand, then they can't buy it. If payment is a check then the bank holds the title until the check is cleared and the cash is in hand.

If you do not want to deal with this, the let someone sell for you. My preference would be to find a reputable local RV dealer, preferably an Airstream dealer, that will take it on consignment (someone a person can go visit or take the trailer away if not satisfied) Fees are always negotiable.

If there is a lien you will also have to abide buy the lenders'/your contract.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,856
I had good luck with RV Trader online.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 340
We used RVTRADER to find our buyer. For the transaction, try Escrow.com. Makes it easy! We were going to use them for our Roadtrek a few years back, but didn't need to as both we and our buyers were using USAA for financing and they handled the whole shebang!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
Full time Airstreamer
 
SCOTTinNJ's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,324
If you are uncomfortable with the financial portion of the transaction you can always use someone like www.escrow.com as a middleman.
__________________
@living.somewhere.yonder | Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,373
Images: 1
Want to sell our airstream

Just use airstream classifieds - best place for selling an airstream. You can also post on airstream hunters Facebook page.

Take the time to put together a nice marketing package and you will stand head and shoulders above the rest. A simple description and a few photos wonít cut it if you want to yield the best price and sell quickly.

Also, please do your homework on market value - so often I see people post trailers for sale above their market value, as they try to recoup taxes paid on the initial sale, or try to recoup losses on a poorly negotiated selling price from new. I often see 2017 30í trailers listed for $5k+ over what I paid new - what a turn off for an educated buyer - sends a message that the seller doesnít understand what their coach is worth or how to negotiate.

Here is an example of the material I put together for my 2008. Immediately had several serious buyers and sold it within a few weeks at just around asking price (exactly where I knew it would sell for). I sold to an out of town buyer after in person inspection and required full payment via certified check via fedex. When we met in person I had title in hand, all the books, etc.. smooth transaction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lbseqqluc...le.pdf?dl=0&m=
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,021
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Just use airstream classifieds - best place for selling an airstream. You can also post on airstream hunters Facebook page.

Take the time to put together a nice marketing package and you will stand head and shoulders above the rest. A simple description and a few photos wonít cut it if you want to yield the best price and sell quickly.

Also, please do your homework on market value - so often I see people post trailers for sale above their market value, as they try to recoup taxes paid on the initial sale, or try to recoup losses on a poorly negotiated selling price from new. I often see 2017 30í trailers listed for $5k+ over what I paid new - what a turn off for an educated buyer - sends a message that the seller doesnít understand what their coach is worth or how to negotiate.

Here is an example of the material I put together for my 2008. Immediately had several serious buyers and sold it within a few weeks at just around asking price (exactly where I knew it would sell for). I sold to an out of town buyer after in person inspection and required full payment via certified check via fedex. When we met in person I had title in hand, all the books, etc.. smooth transaction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lbseqqluc...le.pdf?dl=0&m=

Wulf
Now thatís the way to put a sale together and get top dollar.
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
New Borockton , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,556
Images: 21
I would require a bank to bank wire transfer. Cost is about $30. If that can't agree to that, it's fishy.
__________________
Randy...Converters, Inverters, Trimetric, Surge Protectors, Zamp, Smartplug, AGM Batts
888-828-1893
Bestconverter.com
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
wulfraat's Avatar
 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,373
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I would require a bank to bank wire transfer. Cost is about $30. If that can't agree to that, it's fishy.


I think a wire transfer feels a bit funky without an escrow company in the middle. I chose certified check. In my case we had met face to face, had several phone conversations and email exchanges, and it was clear that nobody was out to cheat the other person.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
New Borockton , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,556
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I think a wire transfer feels a bit funky without an escrow company in the middle. I chose certified check. In my case we had met face to face, had several phone conversations and email exchanges, and it was clear that nobody was out to cheat the other person.


Thatís cool too. You just have to feel good about man.
__________________

__________________
Randy...Converters, Inverters, Trimetric, Surge Protectors, Zamp, Smartplug, AGM Batts
888-828-1893
Bestconverter.com
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Sell or Not To Sell? DeepSouth Dollars & Cents 14 08-17-2015 04:03 PM
Want to sell our 1960 tradewind artemis917 Dollars & Cents 0 11-07-2009 08:38 AM
MUST SELL, MUST SELL--BUY NOW 1994 Airstream Land Yacht eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-31-2009 09:00 AM
To sell or not to Sell ?? osolow Dollars & Cents 5 05-04-2009 02:39 PM
We bought now want to sell Terese Member Introductions 3 08-01-2006 04:58 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.