Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Very Poor Experience - Recommended Customer Service Contact @ Airstream?

We bought a used 2011 Flying Cloud from a dealer in August and after three months of hassle and very poor customer service from both the dealer and Airstream, we have our trailer but are still unhappy with the result. I would like to contact someone at Airstream above the customer service person I reached who demonstrated zero concern for our situation. Does anyone have contact information for someone within Airstream who a) might care to hear about our poor experience and b) might be able to help us get a final resolution to our one remaining challenge?

To make a long story short, our sales contract included replacing some of the furniture within the trailer. What we got from Airstream (after the order was delayed for months and included the wrong fabric on the first try and the wrong finish on the second), seems to be far below the quality of what goes in new trailers and is not in line with the expectations we had as part of the sales contract. For such an expensive purchase from a company with a good reputation, we expected far better than we got in terms of the result within the trailer and customer service.

We appreciate any help or guidance forum members can offer.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Was the work performed by the dealership or at the Airstream factory?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
AWCHIEF raises a good point. You bought a used, out of warranty unit and it would help to know what involvement the factory had with the transaction.

Mike
Dismissive cat
Old 12-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If your problem is truly with the Airstream factory and not your local dealer, I'd start with Dan Snyder, Airstream's Customer Service Manager. His number is (877) 596-6111 X7408.

If your problem is with the local dealer from whom you bought your unit, I doubt that the factory can help very much. Airstream dealers are independent businesses and while the Airstream factory certainly has an interest in maintaining a quality professional dealer network, they are not responsible for the performance of individual dealers.

Best of luck!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Thank you for the feedback and assistance. We appreciate it. After repeated delays and difficulties with our dealer, I asked to talk directly with their contact at Airstream to try to get the the bottom of the issue since I cared a lot more about getting the problem solved than the dealer did.

My contacts with Airstream proved to be problematic and the mistakes I discussed above caused the delays to mount. Even if the problem ultimately lies with our dealer, I had direct and disappointing interactions with Airstream and I think someone in their customer service department should at least hear about our situation. No one will probably ever take responsibility or apologize for anything but I still want to at least provide feedback that could improve an experience for a future customer on the Airstream side (considering the online reviews for our dealer and our reinforcing experience, getting any traction with them is a lost cause). Since this thread was flagged as inappropriate and a moderator told me not to go into details, I will leave it there but do appreciate the feedback and insight.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So without getting in to territory the mods asked you not to - what's the last issue you're trying to resolve? Maybe some folks here can help?

Stuff happens. Maybe you can get some help here and focus on having a great time camping!

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, when we bought our 06 Interstate in 07, there were some cabinet doors that had warped and needed to be replaced.....it had been on the lot for a year, and I suspect now may have been pirated and swapped out for parts. Yes, that's what I think.

We had a terrible time getting this completed.

Will spare everyone the specifics, , but I finally called JC and insisted they take the replacement cabinet doors off the line at the factory and ship them to our dealer so that we could have the Interstate in our possession which we had already paid for, and stop the 1 1/2 hour drive each way for the bits and pieces they were shipping.

Stay on it, and post about it here, is my suggestion.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very Poor Experience - Recommended Customer Service Contact @ Airstream?

Many of us have been faced with a product we purchase not meeting our expectations. Sometimes the party from whom we purchase an item will resolve an issue like we want, sometimes it just does not work out to our immediate satisfaction.

The question in my mind is whether I can be happy with life on life's terms, accepting some glitches, maybe even paying extra to get things resolved, or do I have to be correct all the time.

My experience is to work on common resolutions, maybe sacrifice my expectations, but to not throw my disappointment into a public forum which is primarily intended for enjoyment.

A phone number was provided, and if it cannot be worked out, maybe resolving issues by simply purchasing the solution yourself, getting things exactly the way you like, and then going on some happy camping trips, enjoying your unit just the way you want it.

My new Serenity has been changed with multiple modifications and is very close to perfect! Some of the modifications have corrected what I saw as errors of Airstream, have "corrected" at my expense. And, I am extremely happy with my new trailer. Better to be happy than right sometimes.

2015 Serenity Modifications http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128265

Hope this is received in the spirit intended.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 12-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
?...

The question in my mind is whether I can be happy with life on life's terms, accepting some glitches, maybe even paying extra to get things resolved, or do I have to be correct all the time.

My experience is to work on common resolutions, maybe sacrifice my expectations, but to not throw my disappointment into a public forum which is primarily intended for enjoyment. ,,,

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
That is one of the nicest summations of "forum philosophy" I have read and the words reflect an attitude we should all live by...
Thank you
Bruce
Old 12-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not knowing the particulars but, you bought a four year old out of warranty vehicle, your recourse us with the selling dealer, not the mfg. if you bought a used car out of warranty, the factory is done with you. Only the selling dealer can help and the only if the vehicle was sold with a warranty from the dealer, like a thirty day guarantee. Most used sales are as is. Jim
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very good point, Jim, and thanks for the clarity.

Some whining and sharing of bad experiences is also part of this community, but it is also important to try to keep things positive.

I will therefore shut up.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I vow to make every effort to wine positively….

Whine, whine more whine, table four.

Bob
Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Fredericksburg , Virginia
I found this post very interesting. We purchased a 2014 International Signature - 25' this year. We have encountered many issues from minor to defective thermostat. We spend too much time at the dealer fixing/replacing items that, I believe should have not come from the factory in that condition.

I understand that we shouldn't be whining, however, we all pay a lot for our Airstreams, whether new or used and putting the time and effort into updating. The point is we should expect the level of workmanship to match this. I have found that the quality in our trailer is not what I would have expected.

Having said that, we love our Airstream and continue to deal with the nits and nats. I wish we could provide Airstream the feedback they need to hear in order for them to better their quality control of what is coming off the line. I don't think that is a negative comment. As a businesswoman, I want to know if there are issues and I welcome any feedback. Airstream should as well.

Andi
Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
My name is Dave Schumann and work in Airstream Customer Service.I do not the details as of yet but would like to hear more and want to apologize for your experience. You can reach me at 937 596 6111 my ext. is 7327

We may not always be able to satisfy every expectation,but the is where we aim.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Airstream might not have any legal or business obligation to help me out but considering that I had direct contact with them in this situation and it was not positive, I think someone in their management should know about it, especially since the company touts customer experience as a major part of their brand. Sometimes, businesses should help customers just because it is the right thing to do, not because they have a legal or contractual obligation (as I have done repeatedly as a business owner myself).

The whole idea that this topic is considered off-limits or negative or whining is really surprising to me. I am a photographer and have been part of various different online photography groups over the years. A discussion about challenges with camera manufacturers would never be considered off-limits because those groups are exactly the place where a person can get the best help with solving their problems. I thought the same would be the case here. Instead, I have been called a whiner, that I am just trying to be proven right, and that I am bringing negativity to this forum.

To save up for a long time for the second largest purchase I have made and have it turn into a three month saga – due to nothing I did – has been a disappointing and distressing experience. I came here looking for help since this seems to be the best place on the internet to be pointed in the right direction. I do not appreciate being called a whiner for a) expecting the dealer to fulfill their contract with me according to the timeline they set and we agreed to, b) for both the dealer and Airstream showing little concern about their mutual inability to fulfill their side of the bargain and c) seeking help from others in resolving my problem. So, thanks for the warm welcome to this forum!

Sincere thanks for those of you who offered helpful and relevant advice to my question. Dave, thank you for reaching out. I will be in touch in a day or so with some more information about our situation.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
My name is Dave Schumann and work in Airstream Customer Service.I do not the details as of yet but would like to hear more and want to apologize for your experience. You can reach me at 937 596 6111 my ext. is 7327

We may not always be able to satisfy every expectation,but the is where we aim.

Dave,

Why not start a "Town Hall Thread"

Bob
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Airstream might not have any legal or business obligation to help me out but considering that I had direct contact with them in this situation and it was not positive, I think someone in their management should know about it, especially since the company touts customer experience as a major part of their brand. Sometimes, businesses should help customers just because it is the right thing to do, not because they have a legal or contractual obligation (as I have done repeatedly as a business owner myself).

The whole idea that this topic is considered off-limits or negative or whining is really surprising to me. I am a photographer and have been part of various different online photography groups over the years. A discussion about challenges with camera manufacturers would never be considered off-limits because those groups are exactly the place where a person can get the best help with solving their problems. I thought the same would be the case here. Instead, I have been called a whiner, that I am just trying to be proven right, and that I am bringing negativity to this forum.

To save up for a long time for the second largest purchase I have made and have it turn into a three month saga – due to nothing I did – has been a disappointing and distressing experience. I came here looking for help since this seems to be the best place on the internet to be pointed in the right direction. I do not appreciate being called a whiner for a) expecting the dealer to fulfill their contract with me according to the timeline they set and we agreed to, b) for both the dealer and Airstream showing little concern about their mutual inability to fulfill their side of the bargain and c) seeking help from others in resolving my problem. So, thanks for the warm welcome to this forum!

Sincere thanks for those of you who offered helpful and relevant advice to my question. Dave, thank you for reaching out. I will be in touch in a day or so with some more information about our situation.
Well - this is a bit loaded.

It's impossible to know the details of every situation and we are only hearing portions of your view. How can anyone help? I've suggested you could post the last remaining problem you're dealing with and see if folks here could offer suggestions. Why don't you try that and get off to a different start? Just a suggestion - you can do with that what you like.

In the meantime - you've had Dave from Airstream respond in this file with both an apology for your experience and a phone number. That's WAY more than I think a person should expect from the factory on a used sale.

The rules of this forum are also posted for all to see and like it or not - this isn't a forum for complaints about dealers, companies or people. Just follow the rules.

Last - the sarcastic comment about the warm welcome can't assist in helping create empathy for your situation - rather, it could unfortunately (for some) confirm the perception to which you're reacting negatively.

It may be of the most value for you to talk with Dave and see what you can figure out and think about a re-entry approach to the forum that gets you off on a better foot? I'm sure folks here would love to help - they've certainly done that for me. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
The whole idea that this topic is considered off-limits or negative or whining is really surprising to me.
Ditto.

I'm on other forums, with topics as varied as BMW and KTM motorcycles, Honda Element Site, an SOB trailer site, and a handful of aviation sites.

When I recently posted about an "iffy" experience with a dealer, I was quite surprised at the immediate pushback and warnings about appropriateness.

The forum hosts are certainly free to limit discussion. But on none of these other forums are negative dealer or service experiences at all off limits - in fact by naming names others can make more informed decisions about where to take their business - or not.

And, in general, the more unrestricted a site is, the more valuable - within limits, of course.

Anyway, I'm a grateful guest here - especially since I don't even own an AirStream. And I'll play by the rules.

Thanks for having me!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay....I said I would shut up but.....

These forums are full of threads complaining about JC and quality control. It is a common issue, unfortunately, with many Airstream owners and one which JC should be aware of and responsive to.

It is neither disallowed here nor discouraged by the powers that be, altho some members whine about the whining.

There are very good reasons for prohibiting specific dealer issues from being aired here.

Kudos to Dave/Schu for stepping up.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
maybe even paying extra to get things resolved, or do I have to be correct all the time.

I couldn't diagree more. I did read ahead, and see there are a number of folks who agree, and a number who do not.

This appears to be an issue between the dealer and the buyer, and if the dealer agreed to fix things and you have the documentation, you should take him to court. Allthough I generally dislike lawyers and lawsuits, there are times when it is prudent and necessary.
Closed Thread