Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Unhappy Very Disappointed with Airstream

Recently I visited my local Airstream Dealer and they had just received several new airstreams. I asked if I could look at them and the salesman agreed but informed me that they had not been inspected yet, so this is not a slam on the dealer. I could not believe all the repairs that would have to be done cosmetically to get these units presentable. Screws rolling around on the floor and in cabinets and drawers, screws not screwed in all the way, saw dust everywhere in cabinets and drawers just overall dirty. Doors hanging off hinges, dirt marks on pillows and walls, excess glue everywhere, Wow I couldn't believe it, I actually felt bad for the dealership. I was looking to upgrade my 2014 but now I decided to keep it if this is what Airstream is putting out. I know these are just my opinions but Airstream you better get your act together.
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lets Travel... I totally understand. Much like the Wizard of Oz and you looked behind the curtain.

Obviously you were looking at another brand of trailer...

Much like when our home was under construction, I would have never expected to be able to live in it. The saw dust, screws, sheet rock dust, trash... and today... living comfortable after four years.

This salesman made a huge error in judgment. If you buy a finished new home... you would not have seen the mess left by the builder and contractors. But shame on Airstream to even let this trailer leave Jackson Center.

I can understand why Oliver is getting some attention. Things like this.

We pick up our 'new 2019' 27 foot International Serenity Friday at the Las Vegas Airstream lot. Nancy will be walking with the service people inside and I will be scouring the bottom, sides and top of this trailer BEFORE we sign the check. Las Vegas may be hot Friday... but we learned over 13 years owning NEW off the lot Airstreams, that once you own the trailer... it will be better than the day it came out of the factory.

Buy USED. You missed ours, but some people take great care of their Airstream and worth paying a premium... used. Good hunting. License not required.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have ordered a number of new cars. They go through dealer prep. It takes half a day. What do you think they are doing? It doesn’t surprise me that dealers have to clean the units. It would take tons of time at the factory to clean a unit. They probably do not have the staff. And since dealers have to prep them why do things twice. For example did you know that ASs from JC come with all plastic on the inside covering the aluminum? Yep. You will find traces in a new unit. So why would JC clean everything up when the know that to protect the unit in transit it would require taking off protective covers?

In fact when you buy a new AS you will have dust and sawdust on the floor for at least the first 5 times you use it. It’s just inevitable. After that it’s not a problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I was born breached as a baby. My mother said the Army doctor did not have much experience in deliveries. I was a mess... she said.

I am still a mess, but maybe short the sawdust... but still have a 'screw loose or two'.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
Recently I visited my local Airstream Dealer and they had just received several new airstreams. I asked if I could look at them and the salesman agreed but informed me that they had not been inspected yet, so this is not a slam on the dealer. I could not believe all the repairs that would have to be done cosmetically to get these units presentable. Screws rolling around on the floor and in cabinets and drawers, screws not screwed in all the way, saw dust everywhere in cabinets and drawers just overall dirty. Doors hanging off hinges, dirt marks on pillows and walls, excess glue everywhere, Wow I couldn't believe it, I actually felt bad for the dealership. I was looking to upgrade my 2014 but now I decided to keep it if this is what Airstream is putting out. I know these are just my opinions but Airstream you better get your act together.
Same story after AMF bought Harley Davidson. They pushed the workers to meet quotas that motorcycles didn't have all the parts on them when the dealers received them. You would think corporations would learn from the past. I guess its profits job 1.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have ordered a number of new cars. They go through dealer prep. It takes half a day. What do you think they are doing? It doesn’t surprise me that dealers have to clean the units. It would take tons of time at the factory to clean a unit. They probably do not have the staff. And since dealers have to prep them why do things twice. For example did you know that ASs from JC come with all plastic on the inside covering the aluminum? Yep. You will find traces in a new unit. So why would JC clean everything up when the know that to protect the unit in transit it would require taking off protective covers?

In fact when you buy a new AS you will have dust and sawdust on the floor for at least the first 5 times you use it. It’s just inevitable. After that it’s not a problem.
Perhaps I misread your post, but I find it unacceptable that the dealer should be responsible for the shortcomings of the maker. The OP spoke of some serious issues and to hand those over to the dealer to deal with (I know, it’s in their name) is an absolute disgrace.

I own 3 vintage aluminum travel trailers with a combined age of 137 years old. I’ve taken the responsibility of the inherent issues my trailers have. If I were to buy a less than 1 year old trailer I would be appalled if there were that many, much less any, issues.

Thor can only rest on the Airstream name for so long without actually putting out real quality products. I’ve toured the lots and have been actually ashamed for Airstream.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Where do I start. Just so much wrong with shipping units that way.

To concentrate on just one aspect. Loose screws on the floor are not just a nuisance to be swept up at the dealership. Stepping on those screws by AS workers or dealer prep personnel will damage flooring.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have ordered a number of new cars. They go through dealer prep. It takes half a day. What do you think they are doing? It doesn’t surprise me that dealers have to clean the units.
There is a HUGE difference between cleaning a unit and repairing all the factory FU's the factory let out the door. To compare the as shipped condition of a new Airstream trailer to the as shipping condition of a new vehicle is total sour grapes to golden oranges and the Airstream "Ain't the Golden Orange"!

The interiors, underhood and underside of new vehicles today are CLEAN when they leave the factory. Yes the outside can get dirty depending upon the transport method however there is no reason AT ALL for the interior and other covered areas to be dirty particularly with component assembly DIRT and other debris like screws! The old Coke bottle in the frame rail rattle in a vehicle is a complete thing of the past!

Most damage if any to a new vehicle today comes from or during the transport of the vehicle to the dealer. I'm sure it's worse with an Airstream trailer as they are typically pulled over the road by a hotshot delivery to the dealer & rarely if ever transported on a trailer to the dealer. .

Vehicle Dealer Prep is removing the factory attached packaging that is there to prevent damage. Making sure the interior is still clean and everything continues to be functional along with a complete exterior detailing of the car. Yes OEM dealers get paid by the OEM manufacturer for this service.

Ever notice how many vehicles are now totally covered when shipped from the factory and during transport? Why? To prevent transport damage and KEEP the vehicle in full new car CLEAN appearance as that vehicle left the factory CLEAN, INSPECTED & FULLY FUNCTIONAL!

Airstream shipping quality control does little to none of the above and it shows!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Where do I start. Just so much wrong with shipping units that way.

To concentrate on just one aspect. Loose screws on the floor are not just a nuisance to be swept up at the dealership. Stepping on those screws by AS workers or dealer prep personnel will damage flooring.
And in my case, wondering where the screws came from so I can put them back. 😕
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
The point is that dealers are the last stop. They go through the units to make sure they are ready to sell. Whether we like it or not this is how AS does it. Ultimately the dealers have to do it anyway. When I bought mine they said they would have to go through the unit to make sure everything works properly before I took delivery. That means cleaning and system checks. They are the AS cleanup service, and the last in the quality control line to test all the systems. I can understand that. Doesn’t bother me in the least. The dealer isn’t dealing with hundreds of units coming off the line at once. They are dealing with a few units coming in at a time. Contractors don’t clean the house. I don’t get why this is so bad. It’s just the OP saw things he didn’t realize before. So what. Ever see a new house before it is cleaned up. Looks pretty bad. I owned a modular home dealership from Wisconsin Homes for 5 years and went through that process. Homes would be shipped and we found all kinds of stuff. There were ALWAYS issues. And we ALWAYS told people. It’s going to look like crap when it comes from the factory. Don’t worry. It will be fixed.

The point I made regarding new cars that are ordered is that the dealer STILL has to make sure all the systems work properly. They are the last quality control stop.

When a dealer receives a new vehicle from the factory they must remove the protective plastic coating covering the inside and outside of the vehicle, check the fluids, install fuses, road test 3 to 10 miles, wash, wax, vacuum, put on the antenna, and install the license plate holders.

How the AS is delivered to the dealer is no big deal to me. I’m really buying the AS from the dealer as well.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I've PDI'd more new vehicles than I can remember.

I NEVER had to clean up a mess from the build.
On the contrary...much more time was spent on removing all the stuff that was there to protect the vehicle.
Most common problem...shipping damage from the carrier.

Pride in what you are building is what's lacking.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The only problem that I can see is that the dealer let you into the trailers before they had done their work. Presumably the dealer would have complained about that work IF it were unusual or unexpected.

What you describe involves essentially a preparation contract between the dealer and Airstream and does not affect you, as a customer.

I have done extensive work in our Airstream and it always makes a mess. After that mess is cleaned up (by me, unfortunately), the trailer looks great. Does the mess mean that my work is poor quality or that I don't exercise quality control. I don't think so.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Simple task. Call Airstream up and ask them why units are delivered in such a manner the dealer has to clean.

You know when you just hear one side of the story it’s hard to make an honest judgment. Go to the source and ask. Otherwise this is pointless chatter.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
We went through the same thought process you have. So we bought SOB, for about half the MSRP. At the time of purchase I thought I had done my due diligence. Just let me capsulize by saying I paid half as much and got half the value. Should have bought the AS. ALL RV mfgers have the dealer do the final detail work. My neighbor owns the big ones, MCI, Prevost, etc. SAME grips. Suck it up . Buy the best. Buy AS. wish I had.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Why would anyone care about something that’s not the final product? Where the final prep work is done is an agreement between the dealer and corporate.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
I would not be too quick to criticise Airstream - The dealer did tell you they were not cleaned up. You have no idea what agreement Airstream has worked out with the Dealerships. Have you toured the Airstream plant recently - they are crammed for space while the new facility is being built - They are rushing to get orders completed to keep up with the demand - It's quite possible they have an agreement with the dealer - "in order to get these to you quicker, can you do the clean-up and dealer prep?" If that was the case, no doubt the dealer would say "yes" because he would have inventory on his lot and can do the prep and clean-up at the same time. I fault the sales person for allowing you to see it in it's pre clean-up condition as most people can not visualize past sawdust.
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
We went through the same thought process you have. So we bought SOB, for about half the MSRP. At the time of purchase I thought I had done my due diligence. Just let me capsulize by saying I paid half as much and got half the value. Should have bought the AS. ALL RV mfgers have the dealer do the final detail work. My neighbor owns the big ones, MCI, Prevost, etc. SAME grips. Suck it up . Buy the best. Buy AS. wish I had.
Amen,

I will never understand all this complaining and griping about Airstreams.
If you have this much to complain about don't buy it.
We are on our third new AS. All three had some issues the last one having the least. As long as we are trailering it will be in an Airstream.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would NEVER buy a new A$. They are just not worth that kind of $$$$$. IMHO
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Castiniron has a good point. What if the agreement between the factory and a dealer included all final cleanup of construction debris, shipped with the cabinet doors in a box to be installed by the dealer, Fridge sitting on the floor to be installed by the dealer, all of the interior accroutements like linens, bedding, cushions still in the packaging to be installed by the dealer (oh wait that is exactly how those items are shipped).

Frankly summed it up succinctly. Don't like how the sausage is made don't buy sausage.

My Classic 33 was perfect on delivery, has been trouble free since delivery with the exception of some Czone programming/operating issues. My FC 25 and previous Classic 30 had no issues during ownership. I have found dropped screws and some sawdust back behind stuff but simply grab the vac and clean it up. If I hadn't gone through every cabinet to learn the systems layout those could have stayed there for the next 30 years and no one would care.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #20

2019 Nest
Rapid City , Michigan
I bought a 2019 Nest in APRIL and was stunned by how sloppily put together it was. Warped doors, broken screen door and screens with gaps so large that the interior was flooded with bugs when lights (when or IF they were working) were on, loose screws, broken interior frame on rear door, various rusted areas, loose water connection, electric awning kept jamming, dinette floor area was spongy, batteries weren't connected properly, inverter had a short/loose wire, rusted stabilizer jacks extremely hard to lower, interior panels kept ungluing from wall, screws pulling out of window curtain track etc., etc., etc.,. It really was a lemon but Airstream insisted that the dealership be allowed to fix the endless list. I NEVER to got use it even once until the third week in AUGUST. Most have been fixed but not all of it. One friend just nearly broke her arm this week when she stepped down on the rear step and the large hinge screw fell out of the step and threw her to the ground so hard we thought she broke her arm. It was very upsetting. Every day I expect something more to go wrong with but Airstream continues to ignore me. They've even insulted me by telling me that anyone who bought a 2019 Nest would get a free Weber grill as part of a promotion. They said I didn't qualify for it. This piece of crap was unusable from the moment I bought it FOUR MONTHS AGO. It either sat in my driveway or the dealership for almost SIXTEEN WEEKS waiting for parts (some of which STILL haven't arrived).Airstream's customer service is a nearly non-existent JOKE. At the campground, I met other NEW Airstream owners who say they NEVER ARE NOT repairing something - one guy got locked IN his 2019 International Serenity because of a fundamental door lock flaw. The Nest is brilliant but I got a lemon that has sucked the joy of life out of me. This week I'll take it in AGAIN to get the DEADLY step repair and various screws GLUED back in because they're stripped. Airstream - ARE YOU LISTENING and offering me ANYTHING other than thoughts and prayers?
TorchLaker is offline   Reply With Quote