Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
even if i wanted to buy the trailer i currently have,the supply on the used market is so minuet that i would have a difficult time acquiring attitude if i was selling would be to set the price on the high end.the biggest hurdle would be finding the buyer with the cash or credit to close the deal,not finding a willing buyer.the supply of airstream buyers from my experience vastly exceeds the available clean used trailers on the market.a one owner vacation used trailer with all original documents will always command a premium imho.

xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #30
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
we can talk but and one has to walk the talk.Certain, models, new or old bring premium prices and more,I have done this.Doubled my money on a trailer and bought another older model. 4 years later its still demanding 15k and its 18 years old. you go figure.
There is that same "Magical" Reference......

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
you described my last and present trailer.I would not buy a A/S if it was not from a original owner or second, first owner purchases add value to the trailer.The prices of new A/S has helped raise the used market A/S prices.Buying a 1 owner A/S gives you the history of maintance on the trailer thats very important.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
willmar , Minnesota
Its my observation that airstreams depreciate at least 12-15%/year from list price of the most recent model year. For instance if a 2010 25FB flying cloud is selling for $62,400 to be priced competitively a 2008 should be in the low $40,000s. An ideal price would be in the high $30s. From there you need to consider color (personal preference), condition and what options are on board before making your offer.

As they get older the depreciation rate compared to new list price will slow down to the 8-10%/year range. You will see trailers in the 10 year and older range developing a floor around $15,000 or so but this will of course vary with length. My research hasn't gone beyond 15 year old units.

You can use this as a guide if you wish, but as they age past the 5-6 year mark the comparison to new loses its relevance and it becomes more and more important to comparison shop. $/foot is a good comparison when comparing same models. Just remember the shorter the unit the higher the cost/foot. But, length can change the way things work. Most of my research is on the 25 footer. I think its the best offering AS has with regard to space, weight and tank size.

Valuing a trailer is complicated and I am offering "rules of thumb" that I am developing for myself. There are several good deals advertised on this site right now, but there are far more offerings that need to be negotiated down.

You dont have to get the best deal in the world, just make sure you are happy with what you paid and you can handle the deal over time. A new one seems to be out of reach for me but I plan on buying close to new in the next year or so.

Right now my problem is my 93 aluma lite. Its a great rig and we are enjoying it immensely! Book on that is $2500 or so. An AS will hold value better than that.

jbbson is offline   Reply With Quote