Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Good information at The Affordable Care Act & RVers and Another view at The ACA (aka ObamaCare) & Its Impact on FullTime RV Health Insurance | Wheeling It.

What a state of disarray to say the least....

2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Again, many thanks to those who have thrown in their two cents so far! I like to think I'm going in with eyes wide open but I'm a bit surprised to see all the posts have a cautionary tone - but that's only right... straight up information with no punches pulled and I really appreciate that. They all seem borne out of dealing with the learning curve of which I stand at the beginning. I do have more savings behind my rental income and the rental house itself but it's not enough to go worry-free. Health insurance is the biggest unknown for me right now. Thanks for the links everyone... I have a lot of reading to do!

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We post our monthly expenses for full-timing. Here is the page if you are interested: Sputnik Goes
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
If you are going to be around a certain area for an extended period, think about renting by month. I am paying $275 a month plus utilities, which is about 6 nights at a campground that costs $50 a night. By the way, the campground we are at is all grass and at the shore of the Gulf of Mexico. Dolphins, pelicans, etc.
Can you share the name/location of the campground? Either publicly or via PM.
Boomerstream One - Live Riveted!
Leamington, ON
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Can you share the name/location of the campground? Either publicly or via PM.

We had to take a break. Full-timing for four years and we are starting to get the where is my garden blues. Found this place on the internet and it is a great location between many sites and interests and the fishing is great too...even right off the pier.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have several Airstreamin friends that do seasonal work at different Amazon shipping plants. With their Military retirement income and the Amazon money they can work for 4 or 5 months and afford to travel the rest of the year.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
After seeing repeated discussions about health insurance concerns and how much of a mess it has become for fulltimers and retiree's I am feeling very thankful for our health insurance and not having to deal with an exchange. I can only imagine.

In all of our research we've found that we can probably survive around $2800 a month if we travel at a slow enough pace, and that's budgeting $600 for gas.

I traveled with a friend for a year around the country, he taught me a lot about traveling on the cheap. He did things like couch surf and use the Mennonite your way book. One thing he told me that always stuck was most people can't afford to travel because they travel like tourist everywhere they go. Staying in the most expensive places and eating out at restaurants every meal. Fact is, those are the two biggest barriers to travel right behind the perceived expensive of getting somewhere.

Gone With the Wynns:
Changing Gears:
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I will not get into politics BUT Obama care is a mess. Our company's health care costs went up so much this year, with higher deductibles all around that we simply could not renew coverage (too many older workers with pre-existing conditions). When our employees went to the exchanges one younger one who had cancer before we hired her and wouldn't have been covered under our old insurance got the pre-existing condition covered .... for nearly $3000 per month ... with a huge deductible and only 80% paid. Others in their 50's had significant increases in premiums and higher deductibles + 80% coverage to a ceiling of $10K, 100% to $100K and then back to 80%. What a fiasco.

Now more than half of our staff have no coverage. I turned 65 so for the moment I'm OK. Heaven only knows what lies ahead for seniors, so...

We haven't had any employees wanting COBRA coverage for a LONG LONG TIME, so my information may be out of date, but the last time an employee wanted to carry it, the rate WAS higher than for the group plan. Of course we only paid a big percentage of the coverage (sort of always felt that the employees forget about the value of a benefit if they don't have to put a stake into it themselves), so not only did the former employee have to deal with paying his share but ours... but the basic coverage cost went up perhaps as much as $200 per month. The former employer has (or at least had to) the obligation to bill the employee and pay the insurance company - which is a pain if the employee doesn't keep paying. We had to go through all sorts of hoops and certified letters before dropping the insurance then had to try unsuccessfully to collect from the employee who decided to become a couch potato on his mom's sofa (at almost 30) and had no assets.

How long will it be before AARP or Good Sam or some other greedy corporation sets up a program so all of their members can be 1099 employees and get health insurance at group rates? Dunno, but it's got to happen.

So did your employer give everyone a raise equal to the amount they paid for the employee's health insurance before ACA? Or did the company just pocket the money? Just as a footnote, mrsin's company provided insurance increased dramatically 4-5 years ago. It went from $250 deductible to $3200 with other in network payments going from $0 to $5300 per year for two people. This was at one of the largest companies in the country.

I would suggest to the OP that if they are going full time they thoroughly investigate which state they will call home when home is where you park it. Go to the states or the national health care sites and price out the same options before you decide where you want your home base to be located.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
NC , North Carolina
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
We post our monthly expenses for full-timing. Here is the page if you are interested: Sputnik Goes
Thank you for your blog. Very helpful. Love your work

MattSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
ACA, while not perfect, is a great option for people leaving the work place before going on to Medicare. Besides having mostly reasonable rates (especially for 55 and older) and no pre existing condition exclusion, most people are also eligible for a substantial subsidy. If your income is only $2400/ month you will get one. But, as the articles linked to above indicated, the 'out of your home state' coverage is an issue. Be very careful when choosing an option that they have a fairly wide network (a difficult task to do).

In our specific situation in Georgia, where we do not have our own exchange, I found insurance options that were comparable in cost and benefits to what my small company can purchase for our 12 employees. And, even though we pay 60% of the cost, some employees would benefit from leaving our insurance and getting ACA because of the subsidy they would get.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
It's not all about the premiums. The deductibles are very high on the lower cost plans. I am glad we won't ever have to rely on ACA.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote